Ringdrotten
Kafria
Pettytyrant101
29 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Petty's Purist LotR Edits - Page 12 Empty Re: Petty's Purist LotR Edits

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:18 am

"Possibly yes, theres is a fade to white at the end of it and a fade in from white so should be able to do something with that. The only reason I havent so far as I always took Arwens line "Let what grace I have pass to him" to be the closest PJ gets to mentioning that it is Arwens place on the ship Frodo gets and as PJ took all that out along with Arwen giving frodo the jeewl to wear for comfort I left it in. What do others think of this bit? Stay or go?" Petty

I never interpreted the line that way, but I like it! I wouldn't mind to see that scene cut either, but now that I've read your interpretation of it I'm not so sure anymore. I'd say keep it, but like I said, I wouldn't mind seeing it go either - your choice Wink

Petty's Purist LotR Edits - Page 12 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:20 am

Right thats Norwegans added to my list in the saying "Never ask elves, women or Norwegans for an opinion as they will say both yay and nay!"

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I think I will keep the pre bit if only out of a strong sense that it should be there (only they should have done it right).
I can live with that. It is Elrond's voice, isn't it?

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I kept the Black Rider talking to the hobbit with the dog as it at least reflected sort of things which happened in the book. The first time I think the Black Riders appear is when Frodo overhears one asking after Baggins whilst he's waiting on Sam to return. And when they meet it on the road and Pippin (again, I think) asks where it came from, Sam says "I know...hobbiton". Its there for that reason.
Okay. Don't mind this so much.

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Unfortunetly I cannot cut out the hobbit head chop- one of the things that makes viewing choppy, more than unexpected visual cuts, its audio. If there is a bad jump in the audio there is no way round it, and I have neither the skill nor the programs to construct new music for it, the head chop is the crescendo of a piece, theres no way to cut it therefore.

What about the whole scene?

Pettytyrant101 wrote:"You're stuck with the Riders chasing the hobbits in the dark."

Not sure I am, after rewatching Bakshi's version I am considering right after Frodo says "We must get to Bree" cutting straight to Bree as Bakshi does.

Sounds promising.

Pettytyrant101 wrote:"The Prancing Pony is a travesty - but it seems to flow better."

I removed the silliness (the Ring flying up in the air, the half pint/pint 'joke') and cut some dialogue from Butterbur where he didn't seem to know who Gandalf was (a sugestion of Ringdrottens that one).

Yes, it all comes back. I approve!

Pettytyrant101 wrote: "Can you chop out Arwen sooking over Frodo in her arms? That scene is truly ghastly."

Possibly yes, theres is a fade to white at the end of it and a fade in from white so should be able to do something with that. The only reason I havent so far as I always took Arwens line "Let what grace I have pass to him" to be the closest PJ gets to mentioning that it is Arwens place on the ship Frodo gets and as PJ took all that out along with Arwen giving frodo the jeewl to wear for comfort I left it in. What do others think of this bit? Stay or go?

Excellent! His google eyes - then fade to white... I like it.

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I have no idea how you will find the remainder. Hopefully better than the opening! TT and RotK are the most altered from PJ's cut, there are in it I hope one or two things you might like better. (And you might find the Aragorn Arwen stuff around the Council more bearable with the new subtitles and added scenes).

I seem to recall the rest of the movie being done better, even if Tolkien still remained much neglected, and much addings done. I actually don't disapprove of all the "addings". Some were good film making - not necessary to Tolkien's tale - but good theatre for all that. This is where I separate my mind into: does it work (film wise) or doesn't it? - of course, pretending in those cases for a moment that I haven't read Tolkien.

Last edited by Orwell on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 am; edited 3 times in total

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:23 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Right thats Norwegans added to my list in the saying "Never ask elves, women or Norwegans for an opinion as they will say both yay and nay!"

Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:25 am

"I can live with that. It is Elrond's voice, isn't it?"

No. amazingly the Ring verse is not in PJ's version, only a couple lines of it. Its actually Sir Michael Hordern as Gandalf from the BBC radio plays.*

I thought FotR was the best of the films when I saw them originally (although 'best' is maybe not the right word, 'least poor'?) but now when I watch the megaedit its from the start of TT onwards I enjoy most.

edit add * if you listen carefull you can hear birds tweeting outtside in the garden of Bag End, the fire crackling and the sound of Sam's shears trimming the grass (why couldn't PJ have been that close to the source?!)

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:28 am; edited 2 times in total

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:27 am

Are you sure, Petty? I thought Elrond recites it at the Council?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:28 am

No. No Ring verse at the Council in PJ's version I am sure. Just the bit where Gandalf repeats a couple of lines in the language of Mordor.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:30 am

I am mad then, because I was sure Hugo Weaving recites something at least.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:32 am

Checking it right now- see what your making me do- making me watch Pj's version!!!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:37 am

What! And you removed ALL of his version, did you? Rolling Eyes You've left eight hours of it, you... you... you.... Scotshobbit! And you're making ME watch it! Mad

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:41 am

Yeah but at least the worse excesses are missing from the version you're watching. Just got to the end of the Council (less than 6 minutes from start to when they select the Fellowship!) and yes you are mad Orwell- no Ring verse.
And somehting has always bugged me about it, and unfortuntely I cant fix it- when Legolas 'defends' Aragorn to Boromir he announces him saying he is "Aragorn son of Arathorn", to which Boromir replies "this is Isildur's heir?" Why would the name mean anything to him? Makes no sense whatsoever.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:45 am

I'm sure Elrond says something ending with "In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie." Is that Gandalf?

As to Legolas' speech - can't we allow PJ just the one stupidity?

Last edited by Orwell on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:48 am

I know, that bit always annoyed me too. If Aragorn's name and heritage was that famous Sauron would've made sure to kill him pretty quickly I dare say Rolling Eyes

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:49 am

Definently not Elrond or Gandalf. Must be thinking of Gandalf, the lines he says are "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darness bind them." -thats all of the Ring verse that is in the films.

Agreed Ringdrotten. The South Kingdom doesn't even know the Kings survived. They live in secret is the point.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:49 am

Now Ringdrotten, you're a sensible young man, did Elrond recite a poem at the council about the Ring, or not? I may have to take a look myself - is it in the Extended Version, maybe?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:50 am

Hells bells! Did Elrond not recite anything? Mad (Before the Council, maybe?)

Last edited by Orwell on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:50 am

Extended version I have just checked. Its not in there- you're just mad I'm afraid Orwell. Shocked Not a single line of it from Elrond.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:53 am

I can't believe I'm wrong - err --- I refuse to believe I'm wrong --- Oh this must be one of those Conspiracy things... You've all turned against me (and what with me now being semi-auto trained and all! Twisted Evil )

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:54 am

{{{{{I'm going to go and have a look myself... I've never been wrong in my life... well, never admitted being wrong, which is pretty much the same thing...}}}}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:55 am

"semi-auto trained"
Do you ever get fully-auto trained? Seems a bit shoddy and slip shod to only train you in a semi fashion? Is that not dangerous? Shocked

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:56 am

Err.... does Elrond speak at all - at the Council, I mean?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:56 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Seems a bit shoddy and slip shod to only train you in a semi fashion? Is that not dangerous? Shocked

Yep!

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:56 am

I'm afraid Petty is right, Orwell Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:57 am

Orwell wrote:Err.... does Elrond speak at all - at the Council, I mean?

Not much, no, and none of his lines are taken directly from the book (if I remember correctly).

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:58 am

Hells bell! I'm sure I remember Hugo reciting something about the Ring! I do! I'm not mad! I'm not! (I also remember cringing a bit the way he does it). The un-Extended version?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next