Eldorion
David H
Orwell
9 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Young   - Page 5 Empty Re: The Young

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:08 pm

yes but if you see a cheap and nasty version before you see the dolby surround technicolour version at the cinema, you are going to feel short changed, whether you know what the plot is or not. and if you know nothing about the story then its all the more reason to get it right first time, or you may just be so disillusioned by the cheapo version that you dont bother with the good one.
Wink
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:54 am

Or to carry the analogy further, maybe you just need to practice seeing the cheapo version, make sure you are seeing it with the right people, discussing it so that next time around you'll be picking up little nuances here and there and eventually it will seem better?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:02 am

make sure you are seeing it with the right people, discussing it so that
next time around you'll be picking up little nuances here and there and
eventually it will seem better?- Halfwise

So to unravel your metaphor Halfwise into plain english- have sex with a Tyrant! Twisted Evil

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:58 am

Mrs Figg wrote:ok look at it like this if you will. You are waiting to see The Hobbit, but it comes out in 2 months time. You meet a stranger in a pub and from under his mac he produces a grainy wobbly murky CD that he shot and snuck out from a private screening. Because you JUST CAN'T WAIT, you watch it, and the whole experience is ruined and sullied. The surprise and the full technicolour experience is cheapened cos you JUST COULDNT WAIT. moral of the story, if you wait, good things will come to you, all in good time.

The Young   - Page 5 Tumblr_m85bw9fGtf1rqfhi2o1_500
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:make sure you are seeing it with the right people, discussing it so that

So to unravel your metaphor Halfwise into plain english- have sex with a Tyrant! Twisted Evil

Damn, you saw right through that!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:37 pm

NO CHEAPO VERSION, its like snacking on popcorn until you are full, and then you dont have room for your lovely dinner of steak and chips with a side salad and hot apple pie with cream to follow. so there!

Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Actually I was saying it's like learning to cook. First you start with hot dogs and spaghetti sauce out of a jar, then you get more sophisticated, making mistakes along the way but getting better as you learn both your tastes and others.

And if you cook with other people instead of just by yourself, you learn all sorts of things you never would have discovered otherwise.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:08 pm

ok you win. Very Happy this metaphor shenanigans is running out of control. Stuff your faces before dinner, see if I care. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:30 pm

clown tongue

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Orwell wrote:Going back awhile, I was talking to my son about WoW. I was quite surprised to hear about all the do's and don'ts. Talk about Rules (mostly unwritten, actually - very Forumshiran, methinks!) It got me wondering about Morals and Manners etecetera and the young. I've coached kids in sport for years and dealt with plenty through my work, but I don't agree with the oft heard view (of old fogies) that modern kids are not Moral or Good Mannered. Indeed, their openess and natural willingness to debate all things with us oldies regards customs and moral codes and 'good' manners' (while sometimes annoying) is a fantastic aspect of Modern Western Culture, I reckon. And oldies should be questioned because what we do and believe is so often such illogical crap.

Since this started this thread but was never really addressed, I think a quote from T.H. Lawrence's "the Seven Pillars of Wisdom" is in order (you have to get the second edition which has his introduction). I will attempt the quote from memory:

[edit: I came close but am compelled to use an accurate quote, his writing is just too beautiful to be satisfied with 95%]

"We lived many lives in those whirling campaigns, never sparing ourselves: yet when we had achieved and the new world dawned, the old men came out again to remake our victory in the likeness of the former world they knew. Youth could win, but had not learned to keep: and was pitiably weak against age. We stammered that we had worked for a new heaven and a new earth, and they thanked us kindly and made their peace."

While teaching I was advisor to the student government, and I felt this captured perfectly how they threw themselves into idealistic plans, only to be thwarted by the administration. Only about 30% of what they planned came to fruition, but the results always made the world a better place. The danger is in NOT letting youth work out their dreams, or not even giving them an opportunity to dream: then you get the trouble people complain about.

Another quote from the same source:

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake to find that all was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:46 pm

halfwise wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:make sure you are seeing it with the right people, discussing it so that

Damn, you saw right through that!

Not Petty Tyrant I hope, though that's fine too.. it's all fine.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:47 pm

halfwise wrote:Actually I was saying it's like learning to cook. First you start with hot dogs and spaghetti sauce out of a jar, then you get more sophisticated, making mistakes along the way but getting better as you learn both your tastes and others.

And if you cook with other people instead of just by yourself, you learn all sorts of things you never would have discovered otherwise.

or you could just order take away and hope that it's good.. (if you know what I mean)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:ok you win. Very Happy this metaphor shenanigans is running out of control. Stuff your faces before dinner, see if I care. Mad

The Young   - Page 5 Tumblr_m0ne4yJSKm1rotep9o1_250
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Norc wrote:
halfwise wrote:Actually I was saying it's like learning to cook. First you start with hot dogs and spaghetti sauce out of a jar, then you get more sophisticated, making mistakes along the way but getting better as you learn both your tastes and others.

or you could just order take away and hope that it's good.. (if you know what I mean)

I am trying my level best not to respond to this one.... silent

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:24 pm

take aways give me Dehli Belly. specially kebabs. pale
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:30 pm

silent !!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:10 pm

take aways give me Dehli Belly. specially kebabs- Mrs Figg

I really, really hope we have dropped the metaphor thing! affraid

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:16 pm

I have my doubts about that. Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:29 pm

The Young   - Page 5 1625187496

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:32 am

I prefer Italian.. or.. chinese.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:33 am

halfwise wrote:
Orwell wrote:Going back awhile, I was talking to my son about WoW. I was quite surprised to hear about all the do's and don'ts. Talk about Rules (mostly unwritten, actually - very Forumshiran, methinks!) It got me wondering about Morals and Manners etecetera and the young. I've coached kids in sport for years and dealt with plenty through my work, but I don't agree with the oft heard view (of old fogies) that modern kids are not Moral or Good Mannered. Indeed, their openess and natural willingness to debate all things with us oldies regards customs and moral codes and 'good' manners' (while sometimes annoying) is a fantastic aspect of Modern Western Culture, I reckon. And oldies should be questioned because what we do and believe is so often such illogical crap.

Since this started this thread but was never really addressed, I think a quote from T.H. Lawrence's "the Seven Pillars of Wisdom" is in order (you have to get the second edition which has his introduction). I will attempt the quote from memory:

[edit: I came close but am compelled to use an accurate quote, his writing is just too beautiful to be satisfied with 95%]

"We lived many lives in those whirling campaigns, never sparing ourselves: yet when we had achieved and the new world dawned, the old men came out again to remake our victory in the likeness of the former world they knew. Youth could win, but had not learned to keep: and was pitiably weak against age. We stammered that we had worked for a new heaven and a new earth, and they thanked us kindly and made their peace."

While teaching I was advisor to the student government, and I felt this captured perfectly how they threw themselves into idealistic plans, only to be thwarted by the administration. Only about 30% of what they planned came to fruition, but the results always made the world a better place. The danger is in NOT letting youth work out their dreams, or not even giving them an opportunity to dream: then you get the trouble people complain about.

Another quote from the same source:

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake to find that all was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

I think - judging by the iterims of outrageous silliness between serious posts on this thread ( Laughing ) - that it is just about the right interim spot to post something serious. That is: 'I agree with you, Halfy!' Nod

I'm doing a bit of dreaming at work at the moment, and refusing to take 'No' for an answer, and other people (I swear) are beginning to dream around me. Dreams and hard work can go together wonderfully. Yes, some things may seem impossible, and yet I have found that most people want to work hard for good purposes, so long as the others around them are doing it too. Nod

Also, I've noticed that humans who have had true success never seemed troubled by those around them that said their dreams, no matter how hard they worked at it, were doomed to ultimate failure. I like reading about those kind of people. (This is why, incidentally, I generally try not to squash the ideas of young people --- even Ally! Very Happy)

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Nice- good way to do it.
Had me frothing in anger till the end! Laughing

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Sheer brilliance!

What amazed me is the absolute lack of any expression or change of expression in the audience behind him. Were they coached to keep poker faces?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Were they coached to keep poker faces?- Halfwise

By Lady Gaga! (See, I'm down with the times!-um do people still say that?)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next