Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Laughing 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

A Song of Ice and Fire - Page 22 Empty Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:07 pm

Staying away from possible spoilers, but I'm currently halfway through book 1 and enjoying it a lot so far Smile I really like how the book is structured, how each chapter focuses on one person's story and how Martin is able to describe the world and the people from these characters' own viewpoints. Also the occasional humourous lines inbetween are great Very Happy Very glad I decided to read the book first at any rate, and looking forward to the next one already Smile

A Song of Ice and Fire - Page 22 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:49 pm

''The hot-dog stand aint got no ketchup''

Laughing  that the funniest thing EVAH
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:22 pm

I think you made the right decision to read the books first, Ringo. Thumbs Up I finally got a copy of the fifth book after my dad loaned me his (I didn't really want to pay for it after the fourth one), so I'll see if I enjoy a bit more. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Books 4 & 5 were a bit of a letdown for me.

Actually, a LOT of a bit of a letdown Mad 
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:00 am

I finished book 1 yesterday. Took my time with it and enjoyed it a lot Very Happy It's slow paced, yet as has been mentioned you're never bored and nothing feels like "filler" material, everything that happens somehow drives the plot further. There's a bunch of characters, but by the end of the book you feel like you know them all. If there is one thing that annoyed me a little (and that's just me being me), it is what I (personally) felt at times was lazy name-giving. A good half of the names in the book is just regular names with slightly different spelling. It works, but I'm a crabbit grouch that way. I loved the book, though, and bought the second one immediately and kept reading Very Happy

Are the seasons in the TV series each based on one book? Season 1 based on book 1, season 2 on book 2 and so on? I don't think I'll be watching any of the show until I've read all the books, but I hope they've done it this way (I could of course google it and find out, but I'm afraid of spoilers pale ).

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Not sure Ringo but you could probably watch season one of the tv show without spoiling anything, I think its roughly the first book.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:Are the seasons in the TV series each based on one book? Season 1 based on book 1, season 2 on book 2 and so on? I don't think I'll be watching any of the show until I've read all the books, but I hope they've done it this way (I could of course google it and find out, but I'm afraid of spoilers pale).
No, it doesn't follow it that closely. Season 3 doesn't end the way book 3 does, for instance, and there are also developments shown in the series that aren't explored as much in the books.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks Figg and Radaghast, I think I'll read the rest of the books before I move on to the series Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Another thing I liked about the first book was that there is a lot to learn from it. Particularly from Jon Snow and Tyrion - they were born the way they were, and are forced to deal with it in a society very unlike ours, yet so much of it applies to our own day and age. I liked Tyrion a lot - he's found a way to deal with how he was born and there are more than one memorable and wise quote to be found in the book from him. I am glad the rights to these books have already been sold, wouldn't want to see Boyens and Walsh do their magic on them as well.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:Are the seasons in the TV series each based on one book? Season 1 based on book 1, season 2 on book 2 and so on? I don't think I'll be watching any of the show until I've read all the books, but I hope they've done it this way (I could of course google it and find out, but I'm afraid of spoilers pale).

It goes roughly like that, although book 3 was split into two seasons of the show (only one of which has aired so far).  But the TV series doesn't show things in exactly the same order as the books, so if don't want anything spoiled, you're best off reading all the books first.  It's sort of like the LOTR movies: they roughly follow the same divisions as the volumes, but make their own decisions about exact breaking points and sometimes show things in more chronological order.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:13 pm

i got the book for my birthday and i am really looking forward to reading it Smile i just have to find the time Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Cool, perhaps we can liven up the book discussions as we both are reading the books Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Carcharoth Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:51 pm

I only finished the first one a couple of weeks ago. Will hopefully get the next few for Christmas. Tyrion is such a good character. Haven't watched the series yet as I don't want my imagination to blur with the cast until I've read at least the first 2 or 3 books. The ease with which I could read 200 pages or so reminded me of Harry Potter way back when. It just glides past.
Carcharoth
Carcharoth
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:59 pm

I think as Figgy pointed out you can safely watch the first season since it aligns pretty well with the first book, but after that as the plotlines separate the match up isn't as good.  I think the first season does include a little of the second book, but by the time you get that far in viewing your reading will have moved on as well.

You may actually enjoy the videos better if you don't read all the books before starting, because then you'll forget details early on.  Game of Thrones is an adaptation that hews pretty closely to the text, but when they deviate it's with the writer's blessing.  So it's fun to compare them.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Cool, Carcharoth, the more the merrier Very Happy And thanks for your input, Halfwise, but I think I will continue reading without watching the series. Like Carcharoth says the pages fly by, so hopefully I won't have forgotten too much by the time I get around to watching the first season Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:Cool, perhaps we can liven up the book discussions as we both are reading the books Smile

yeah, that would be cool Wink although i got liek five thick books and i have "kite runner" that i am reading in english-class (and i have to be done with it when we start up after christmas)... so i dunno when i will start Razz
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Ah, we read that one too. It's a good book Smile I liked how the father of the main character (forgotten both their names Embarassed ) described theft as the one and only crime. How lying to someone is theft, because you rob them of their right to know the truth. How making shitty films and calling them adaptations is theft, because you rob the fans' of their chance to watch a good film based on their favourite book.. ok, I'll stop now Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:54 pm

yes, that bit is great. in fact i am constantly swoon by the book because it is such a well written truth. the relationship between the two boys is just so interesting. it's a friendship but also this jealousy and how he looks down upon the hazara people.. i recommend everyone to read it. 

also the bit where he can't look him in the eyes because he can't stand people who mean everythign they say .
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:02 pm

"it is such a well written truth" - Norc

I recommend you use that line in the essay you'll probably have to write about the book, a very good description of it Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:30 pm

what the hell? did i write that? that was such a typo :Plol Laughing omg. honsetly, i can't remember what i was gonna write, but that is a typo Razz oh god.. wow.. yeah, i'll use that sentence Laughing
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Laughing Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:37 pm

My favourite character is probably Tyrion and Peter Dinklage nails it in the tv show. By Season 3 I was totally hooked.
but I must admit I found Season One a slow burn, I didnt get into it until the last couple of episodes. Its generally excellent casting.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:40 pm

So was Breaking Bad - it took half a season or more to get me hooked, so if anything, a slow burn sounds good Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:37 am

they've started airing season 3 now, i am on episode two :Dstill can't get all the names right but omg! i love the characters Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next