Orwell
Norc
Mrs Figg
21 posters

Page 4 of 29 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 29  Next

Go down

News from the set [2] - Page 4 Empty Re: News from the set [2]

Post by David H Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Ethereal yes, but I'm hoping the Hobbit elves will be more merry and mischievous than in LotR. That's how I first became acquainted with them as they taunted and teased Bilbo and the dwarves as they came to the Last Homely House, till Gandalf has to chide them about "over merry tongues".

I think there's even a good case to be made for Elven fart jokes. Wasn't Bilbo's first comment on coming to Rivendell "Hmmmm! it smells like elves!" That's surely a fart joke in the making Laughing
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Mad Don't give PJ and the Coven ideas David! affraid

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Of course there is no feasting without drink thats obv, I am talking about DRUNKENESS, not merry feasting. When you read the book you get the Tolkienesque version of feasting, but put drunken Elves in a modern film and you wont get the same effect will you? its totally obvious. If the film had been made in the 1940s then feasting was filmed in an innocent Errol Flynn as medieval hero type thing, but today drunkeness is hard to do right. The last time I saw this done was in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves with Friar Tuck, it was cringeworthy. you tell me of a modern film set in medieval past that is trying to show innocent drunkeness and I will eat my words. The elves have to be innocent drunk, as its 1, a childrens film 2. children will be watching it 3. they cant show debauchery. so explain it to me cos I dont understand how they are going to do it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 pm

I don't know where you are getting the impression they are falling about drunk.
The drunk bit begins when the Chief of the Guards (presumably now Xena-elf) and the Head Butler decide in humorous fashion they had best taste the new wine as there is a feast that night and they dont want to send up anything but the best.
They then get drunk, the guard falls asleep and the Butler drunkenly talks to himself for abit before also falling asleep.
The wine they are drinking is said to be particularly strong and to not be meant for the huge flagons they are drinking out of-PJ could convey this super strong strength bevvy in the converation easy enough.
Bilbo nicks the keys and lets out the dwarves and puts them in barrels.
Sober elves who are to help put the empties in the river arrive and find the two drunk elves and take the mickey out of them. They leave the guard sleepng and the rest have a round of the wine then get to work putting the barrels in the water, having a sing song as they do.

I dont see whats wrong with that Mrs Figg.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 pm

well thats ok, but you were talking about the feasting scenes not two sleepy guards, and I was talking about the feasting not the scenes in the dungeon/barrel area where ever they are when Galion? falls asleep.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:21 pm

You dont really see the feasting in the book. Every time they get close all the elves disappear. And what you do get of it is vey much in the carousing spectrum of drinking. The main drunken elves scene in the book is the barrels one.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:26 pm

cool so no vomiting on cats then yay! cheers cat
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Mrs Figg wrote: Banghead But it makes them ordinary, and Elves arnt ordinary. Anyone can get drunk, its banal, I never thought of Elves as banal.

I think we should respect the Prof, Mrs Figg.... Or... don't... you... respect... the... Prof.... Shocked ..

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 pm

David H wrote:I think there's even a good case to be made for Elven fart jokes. Wasn't Bilbo's first comment on coming to Rivendell "Hmmmm! it smells like elves!" That's surely a fart joke in the making Laughing

Shocked

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Of course there is no feasting without drink thats obv, I am talking about DRUNKENESS, not merry feasting. When you read the book you get the Tolkienesque version of feasting, but put drunken Elves in a modern film and you wont get the same effect will you? its totally obvious. If the film had been made in the 1940s then feasting was filmed in an innocent Errol Flynn as medieval hero type thing, but today drunkeness is hard to do right. The last time I saw this done was in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves with Friar Tuck, it was cringeworthy. you tell me of a modern film set in medieval past that is trying to show innocent drunkeness and I will eat my words. The elves have to be innocent drunk, as its 1, a childrens film 2. children will be watching it 3. they cant show debauchery. so explain it to me cos I dont understand how they are going to do it.

If PJ were to film it exactly as in the book, surely even you, Mrs Figg, could not be offended. Nod

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm

Sleep yes yes yes ok! I respect the Prof Sleep yes merry feastingzzzzzzzz Sleep like the bookzzzzzz so tired nowzzzzzzzz Sleep elvses sleeeeepy nooooowwww Sleep ttoooo mmuch wwwiiiiinneeee Sleep dribble cough!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:03 pm

It's going to be a sleeping potion - in the wine - isn't it Mad
O dear, I really ought to stay clear of this thread - it just depresses me!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:06 pm

pale Oh dear I think you might be right Kafria.
Almost certainly adminstered by fiesty female elf who thinks her King is acting to hastily and wrongly and so helps them escape. Ah bugger! Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:08 pm

It all makes a horrid sort of logic, perfect end to a pefect day Banghead

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:42 am

A sad and sorry tale, indeed... Sad

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:07 am

Figg quotes:

"Elvses are Elvses and Elvses dont have spinning rooms and pavement pizzas. They dont get the munchies and they dont have hangovers and they dont get beer goggles and start fiddling with squirrels! Dooohh! "

"I do think the connotation of drunkeness has changed since Tolkien wrote the hobbit, now its associated with Lager Louts and Hen Nights in Essex, fighting outside pubs and a kebab before vomiting on the cat. "

I think there's one thing we all can agree with....we all want to go drinking with Figgy!!!

(but we'll lock up the pets first).

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:33 am

Moon yay! a night out with Figgy! Hurr durr
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:39 pm

From a report on the BBC site:

Actor Stephen Fry has backed a Southampton pub after it was threatened with legal action by US movie lawyers.
The Hobbit pub has been accused of copyright infringement by lawyers representing the Saul Zaentz Company (SZC) in California.
Mr Fry, in New Zealand working on the forthcoming film of the Hobbit, called it "pointless, self-defeating bullying".
His support boosted the pub's Facebook supporters to more than 15,000.
SZC owns the worldwide rights to several brands associated with author JRR Tolkien, including The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings.
The pub in Bevois Valley, which is popular with students, has traded with the name for more than 20 years.
A letter from SZC asked the pub to remove all references to the characters.
The company asserts it has "exclusive worldwide rights to motion picture, merchandising, stage and other rights in certain literary works of JRR Tolkien including The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit".
Writing on Twitter, Mr Fry said: "Honestly, sometimes I'm ashamed of the business I'm in. What pointless, self-defeating bullying."
Landlady Stella Mary Roberts said: "We are overwhelmed. The support has been phenomenal.
"At the end of the day it is a legal matter. This just shows people's support and how petty the actions of the lawyers are."

Why bother? Not like Saul Zaentz are losing money because of this little pub exisiting and it only increases peoples awarenss of Tolkiens works and makes it more likely people will buy into some part of the Saul Zaentz merchadising in the long run.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:13 am

This is the kind of action that makes me want to boycott. Mad

I once met a woman who was dedicated to providing assistance for orphans in Belfast. They'd gotten a volunteer to paint cartoon characters on the walls of the children's ward at the health clinic. A nice idea, right?
...until a lawyer for Disney Inc. was watching a news report and saw the pictures of Mickey and Goofy in the background.
pale

They had to paint over the pictures immediately or face a law suit that would have bankrupted them. Ever since I heard that story, Mickey and Goofy have always looked a little sinister to me.

The Olympic Games have been doing the same thing. I live near the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State, the mountain in the center is named Mount Olympus and it's been called that for 200 years. All sorts of shops use the "Olympic" in their name, and they've all now gotten notification form the Olympic committee that they are infringing on the Olympic trademark Suspect

I won't be going to the Olympic Games either.

David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:33 am

Every now and then one sees something that makes one think the Unibomber had his heart in the right place. Twisted Evil

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:20 am

https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Interesting 1993 a miniseries of the Hobbit was made in Finish, has any of our Scandanavian friends seen it ?
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:56 am

couldn't find it. no, haven't seen it. do you have another link or somwthing, cause the facebook page was empty.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Sorry Norc, hopefully someone can help.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:26 pm

This it Norc?

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:01 pm

Dain, the baddest dwarf in Middle Earth.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/39the-hobbit39-countdown-billy-connollyrsquos-dain-baddest-dwarf-middle-earth/7154?wssac=164&wssaffid=news&wss=mdcmkttwitter
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 29 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 29  Next