David H
The Wobbit A Parody
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
23 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 19 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko

Post by David H Thu May 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
Christians treat the Bible like a pick n' mix. Mad

And I'm grateful most do, or some of us would require stoning....Twisted Evil
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 19 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 10, 2012 7:36 pm

At least I'd respect them a bit for it!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 10, 2012 9:55 pm

More US based religous silliness:

'A state championship high school baseball game is over before
tonight's first pitch, after one Arizona team forfeited rather than play
an opponent with a girl in the lineup.
Our Lady of Sorrows refused to play Mesa Preparatory Academy in
Thursday’s scheduled Arizona Charter Athletic Association state
championship game, because that team has Paige Sultzbach at second base.

In a statement Our Lady of Sorrows official said
the school had no choice but to forfeit because it has a strict policy
prohibiting participation in co-ed athletics and believes in "forming
and educating boys and girls" separately.

“Teaching our boys to treat ladies with deference, we choose not to
place them in an athletic competition where proper boundaries can only
be respected with difficulty,” the statement read. "Our school aims to
instill in our boys a profound respect for women and girls."
-Fox news

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 pm

I suppose their young men won't be serving in the military either, out of respect for the fairer sex. It's a nice cop out, but I don't see how it's religious.

(you do love your Fox News stories, don't you? Rolling Eyes )
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Well the thing about Fox is if your looking for something to fit in the 'Americans are wacko' category its like a gold mine. Very Happy

And besides apparently more Americans get their news from Fox than any other news station. Which is worrying.
I also read New York Time sand frequent the CBS news and watch c-span on a Sunday. But Fox is miles funnier. (Well unless you actually treat it as news then its a lot less funnier).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu May 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
And besides apparently more Americans get their news from Fox than any other news station. Which is worrying.

Just like most Brits read the Sun. But whether it's news or not is debatable. Murdock is more about entertainment, isn't he?
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Most Brits read the Sun but its not their primary source of news- thats still the BBC and ITV evening news bullitins. Whereas the study I read said Fox was th eprimary source for news for most Americans.

The Sun is mainly entertainment based with politics only featuring when there is a scandal in it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu May 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Whereas the study I read said Fox was th eprimary source for news for most Americans.

That sounded wrong to me, so I just now googled it. Although this study is a couple years old, if feels more representative to me.
http://www.people-press.org/2010/09/12/americans-spending-more-time-following-the-news/

If the claim was "Of those Americans getting their news only from cable television..." I might believe it. From my experience I'd guess the big three are internet, local TV or newspaper, and National Public Radio.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 10, 2012 11:00 pm

I cant remember now where I read it - but there is a link to it here somewhere as it had the wonderful bit in it where they found that those who said they got ALL their news solely form Fox had a poorer grasp of world affairs than those in the study who clamined to watch or read NO news at all! Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri May 11, 2012 12:34 am

Hmmm....maybe from the Daily Show? :carrot:
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Apparently the average American drinks an average of 16 ounces of soda per day, which makes soda the #1 source of calories in the American diet. On the plus side (lol puns) soda consumption has dropped slightly, the manufacturers are looking for ways to close the gap.

NY Times

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 19 PVcEu

Health advocates are cautiously optimistic about the decline. “It is really important because sugary soft drinks are the No. 1 source of calories in our diets,” said Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest. “We get more calories from sodas and sugary drinks than any other individual food — cake, cookies, pizza, anything.”

For reference, 16 fluid ounces is about 473 milliliters and looks like this:

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 19 ErfLm
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed May 16, 2012 7:53 pm

I am glad you illustrated it with a bottle, it reminded me of something.

We were watching one of those ship building documentaries on discovery... I wonder if the people who write the narrator texts compete with each other to make weird references. I thought I would try to remember some of the "measurements" they used. Oddly enough I don't think they mentioned football fields this time, that is the most common one. But I recall olympic swimming pools, gazebo, and inter-continental rocket! Why?! Banghead

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Well football fields and Olympic-sized swimming pools are generally well-known in America, (at least by the sort of people who watch Discovery). Even if you don't know the exact measurement, it still gives a good frame of reference for how big something is (for Americans...). Gazebos and ICBMs are a little out there though, especially since they would seem to be less standardized in size. Suspect

Just so you know though, a football field is 100 yards long (120 if you count the end zones, but most people don't do that) or about 92 meters. An Olympic-size swimming pool is 50 meters long. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 16, 2012 8:08 pm

I drank a bottle of Dr Pepper ever night on nightshift, there 500ml. But I wouldnt say it was a main source of calroies as I was eating decent food too. Very Happy It was more an added sugar dump!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 16, 2012 8:20 pm

I drank a can of Pepsi last night for the caffeine since I was working on a paper and I sometimes drink soda with meals or at parties because I like the taste of it. But I don't drink it every day and I usually drink it from a can, which is a smaller serving size than bottles.

Seriously though: just imagine 313 million of these:

continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 19 ErfLm

Being drunk every single day.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 16, 2012 8:26 pm

I dunno how much a bottle that size cost in the US but its roughly £1 here. So that's £313 million a day!! Shocked

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed May 16, 2012 8:44 pm

313 millions bottles? I demand to know how many swimming pools they would fill and how many cars they'd weigh! Not to mentions how many Eiffel towers they'd be as tall as if they were stacked on top of each other! Mad

Seriously though, the thought does make me rather nauseous. continuing proofs America is wacko - Page 19 Pjukie

As for "being drunk every day", I think we know who we should ask. Nod

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Well dont ask me, I'm too drunk to know the answer. drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu May 17, 2012 12:17 am

Amarië wrote:313 millions bottles? I demand to know how many swimming pools they would fill and how many cars they'd weigh! Not to mentions how many Eiffel towers they'd be as tall as if they were stacked on top of each other! Mad

Amarië, that's about 60 swimming pools and about 200,000 Empire State Buildings Shocked
(Sorry, I can't do Eiffel towers. I don't speak French...Embarassed )
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu May 17, 2012 5:49 am

OK, here's what my calculator says.

If all that soda were really sold in 313 million bottles, end to end they would reach:

1.69 times around the world at the equator,

twice around at the latitude of Perth,

2.18 times at the latitude of Baltimore,

3 times around at the latitude of Oban,

4.93 times around the world at the latitude of Tromsø cyclops
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu May 17, 2012 5:52 am

I applaud you calculations, David! cheers I only wonder how close to the moon they would reach if stacked end on end. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu May 17, 2012 5:54 am

About 5% of the way if my quick math is correct. That means the Moon is only 20 days worth of soda away from the Earth! Shocked

I'm sure there's a message to take from all this but I'm still trying to figure out what exactly. scratch
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu May 17, 2012 6:01 am

I'm afraid it would only get you about 18% of the way, and then you'd have to balance on top and wait for closest approach. Now if you added in all the beer and wine bottles.....
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 17, 2012 9:29 am

That means the Moon is only 20 days worth of soda away from the Earth! Shocked
I'm sure there's a message to take from all this but I'm still trying to figure out what exactly.- Eldo

That soft drinks makers should be put in charge of th spaceprogram. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu May 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Suspect

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next