+4
Pettytyrant101
Lancebloke
Mrs Figg
halfwise
8 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 4 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by halfwise Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:43 am

They're both impressive, but my lord he's strong!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 4 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:51 am

Next week its going to be 40 degrees here and in Sardinia 49, the hottest ever recorded in Europe. Shocked fooooook!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:32 pm

49 C?!! That's mind boggling. A lot of people, mainly old folks, are going to die. Sad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:50 pm

49!? Mindboggling indeed, I can't begin to comprehend. We're on holiday and have had 30-34 C and that is quite enough. 

Teens! I definitely have teens. Son is 13, daughter is 15 (14 and 16 this fall.) Maaaany loud and pointless teen/parent arguments. As is to be expected, but still cones out of nowhere. Laughing Good kids. Funny, smart and kind. Not much makeup/clothes/boyfriend/girlfriend drama, but we'll see what the future brings. I'll try to not expose them too much.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:51 pm

The main thing is not to try to control them.  Teens do not respond well to authority. Talk to them with a knowing sense of humor; they're listening even if they violently pretend not to.  You're probably seeing the worst part of them, so console yourself with how wonderful you know they are when they are not fighting against their shackles.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:11 pm

I have previously done a whole thread on this but going to keep this minimal for anyone of interest so thought this was the best place to put it.

Just back from the Royal International Air Tattoo and have sorted out a few photos.

I'll start with a nice display by the Luftwaffe with their A400 in a refuelling configuration demonstrating air-to-air refuelling with 2 Tornadoes behind.

They can't actually join up as that would be far too risky over crowds and at that altitude, but gives you a good idea.

Tornado just taking to the sky:

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-010

Air-to-air demo:

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-011

Buddy-buddy system with one Tornado refueling the other.

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-012

Back in the ground and taxiing to its parking space:

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-013

Next, two quick snaps from the show opener. This is the Spanish Airforce display team Patrulla Aguila. They were very good and a nice opening to the show.

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-014

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-015

The Spanish also had some Harriers over, commonly known in the UK as a jump-jet. The UK doesn't operate these anymore and has replaced them with the F-35 Lightning. Both are in the first picture.

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-017

The Harrier went on to do a display and this is it in the hover:

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-016

Another display team, the Saudi Hawks. If they look familiar it is because they are basically green Red Arrows.

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-020

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-018

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-019

Nice display from a Swedish training jet, a SAAB SK60. Most training jets are quiet and this is no exception, however very graceful and skilled display.

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-022

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-021

If you like the noise, lots of fast jets meaning business!

Finnish F18 Hornet:

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-023

French Rafale:

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-024

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-025

And Royal Air Force Typhoon which is called the Blackjack due to its paint scheme:

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-027

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-026

Somewhere in between a helicopter and a plane, the USAF V22 Osprey.

High speed configuration for covering long distances quickly:

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-028

And low speed configuration to hover and land like a helicopter:

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-029

The RAF Chinook which was one of many helicopter displays across the day.

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-030

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-031

And lastly an under strength RAF Red Arrows. One of the pilots had hurt his neck so the team flew with 7 rather than 8.

Just...................whatever - Page 4 2023-032

Got some video this year so might post a little movie if it all turned out usable!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:37 pm

great photos I like the Typhoon best. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:32 am

{{ Some cracking photos there Lance, a vid would be great, as the sound is so much a part of it. Always loved a jump-jet as a kid. Nod }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:08 pm

Wowzer, sweet air show

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:22 pm

To complement Lance's airshow shots, somebody took a video of me landing. I don't have many videos of me flying, so it's nice to know I don't look like a complete goof up there. (I'm not too fond of the colors of my glider, but it was available and cheap, so I bought it).

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:39 pm

{{ Thats really cool Halfy. Cool Also if it was me up there at the whim of nature and canvas, Id not give two shits what colour the bloody thing was so long as it kept me up there! }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:45 pm

I've had a cooler looking glider before, so I feel compelled to point out a boring orange and white was not my choice. But yeah, I bought it because it was a good glider at a good price, which trumps aesthetics by a mile.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:30 pm

wow cool landing Thumbs Up
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:07 am

{{ I watch a few reaction channels, and Ive noticed a language trend that seems mainly divided along sex lines that I find intriguing.
There is a tendency I have noticed when women are reacting to media compared to men for them to 'insert' themselves into the narrative in their language.
So take the LotR films as an example it's more common, say when being hunted by the Black Riders, for a female commentator to use language like, "they are going to find US" or "WE have to get out of here". To put themselves into the story as if they were alongside the characters.
Although its not exclusively a female trait it definitely seems more common among female commentators.

Speaking personally it's not ever how I've thought whilst watching a film or television, in the Black Rider example I'd be far more inclined to think "They are going to get caught" over "We are going to get caught."

I was curious if anyone on here does this when watching media, think or speak in terms as if you were there in the narrative? }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:21 am

halfwise wrote:To complement Lance's airshow shots, somebody took a video of me landing.  I don't have many videos of me flying, so it's nice to know I don't look like a complete goof up there.  (I'm not too fond of the colors of my glider, but it was available and cheap, so I bought it).

That looks a lot of fun! I still only have the one experience on that kind of glider and was great. Having no engine is much more peaceful!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:23 am

Petty - not in movies but in games and that is obviously the big difference... being embed in the experience and not watching in on it.

But I am not sure of that is also why films don't make me particularly emotional (although that is in my nature anyway) whether that be something sad, or a 'scary' movie or anything really.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:48 am

I have never said 'we' when I meant 'they'.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:52 am

I've found when evaluating a dangerous situation (walking down a dark road, a slippery slope, or placement of an object up high in a precarious position, etc) women are likely to voice their objections more personally: "I could get hurt" whereas men will usually couch it in more abstract terms: "that's dangerous, somebody could get hurt". It may be because women have learned they get a more cautious reaction from men when made personal, but I get the impression they do have more personal safety concerns than men.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:53 am

{{ I get the feeling it definitely says something about the differences between the sexes, not sure what but I think you and Lance both make a good point.
It occurred to me for the reasons you mention you do it in games Lance, immersion (where I too are more inclined to just think of the game characters as me doing stuff, as in a game it is you making the character do stuff). And I wonder if it isn't a better mind set with which to watch a film, to associate yourself that closely with the situations and characters as to involve yourself in it in language. Maybe it would make the experience more emotional or scary or whatever the film is going for. It's an interesting thought. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:00 pm

I have noticed that when faced with a potentially dangerous situation men will just go for it and repent later whereas women will check out the situation in detail, way up the chances of being killed, and then refuse to do it. which often leads to arguments and accusations of being awkward. For example, I went driving at night with Mr Figg up a mountain, we had to do a reverse in a narrow lane with scary deep gorges on either side. He just reversed without looking and it was only me screaming STOP! that prevented us from plummeting over the cliff. He just didn't register danger when I was scanning edges and my brain was screaming caution, and "get out and look properly before you do anything stupid". Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:20 pm

Yep, that's the male brain in a nutshell. Laughing

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:00 pm

So take the LotR films as an example it's more common, say when being hunted by the Black Riders, for a female commentator to use language like, "they are going to find US" or "WE have to get out of here". To put themselves into the story as if they were alongside the characters.
Although its not exclusively a female trait it definitely seems more common among female commentators.

I'd assume they were speaking for the characters, more like adding speech bubbles or captions to memes, or an abbreviated version of: and he was like  "they are going to find us" and the others were like "we have to get out of here" and they all were like aaaaaaah! 

Show rather than tell, in a way.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:41 pm

flipping Vikings Razz

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:00 am

Well, here is my quick edit of video I managed to capture. I left the sound on however it was VERY windy (the gusts contributing to the dodgy filming) so hard to hear any noise above that.

I am going to invest in a proper camera and gimbal for next time. My DSLR was not designed with this in mind and doing videos like this is therefore super hard!!

Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:12 pm

{{ I think you are selling your talents short there Lance, there is some really good camera work in this. I was particularly impressed with the Finnish F-18 shots, how you managed to track, keep focus and frame the shots so well Eru knows, but good job Thumbs Up

I wonder how much rivalry there is between the various countries formation flying squads?}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum