Forest Shepherd
chris63
halfwise
Amarië
Eldy
13 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

"LOTR: The Rings of Power" - first teaser trailer - Page 5 Empty Re: "LOTR: The Rings of Power" - first teaser trailer

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:24 pm

Lancebloke wrote:That seems to be a bit if a modern day thing though.. looks cool, big explosions, don't make me think.

It's amazing how much of the TikTok generation can't deal with moderately complicated plots. Have you ever seen them on TikTok... its like 6 second clip, next 10 second clip, next 8 second clip.... for HOURS!

I think between that and selfie, like, like, check my selfie likes, like, retreat, like, check my selfie likes... I think people's brain chemistry is actually being changed so that their attention span is super short.

Amazon have to keep up with swords and sex and "cool" attention distracting moments.

Its brain evolution for sure. if you are on TikTok from birth it probably will do something to the biology of the brain. People will have the attention spans of fruit flies.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

"LOTR: The Rings of Power" - first teaser trailer - Page 5 Empty Re: "LOTR: The Rings of Power" - first teaser trailer

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:31 pm

halfwise wrote:I might extend the Figgy quote:

"One does not simply woke into Mordor.  Not with 462 million dollars could you do this."

Laughing I like that.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:20 pm

https://youtu.be/Tv9u9Nwi6Y4
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:57 am

Well didnt he say it as I thought. It feels refreshing when someone has an idea that matches yours. I actually felt alive listening to that guy. Throughout these LOTRs series temptations I felt like a numb zombie, purely because in my heart I knew they would be shit. So far from my own imaginings, any flavour of Tolkien would be lost and doused under some sicky goo that it would be unrecognisable and not worth watching. Im not wholly taken in with the Peejers quote but it wasnt as unstomachable as the 2nd one. I think stop wanting more from films, it wont happen. Electrical wizardry has taken over Earthly wizardry. My stars are 1000's of years old, still full of magic. Hollywoods ( or any other company) stars are digital and dead with no fantasy, they started with no fantasy and can do no fantasy so dont bother. IL sniff my books and carry on reading as long as my eyesight holds up, ( I adore the smell of an old 2ndhand bookshop Smile )

"LOTR: The Rings of Power" - first teaser trailer - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

"LOTR: The Rings of Power" - first teaser trailer - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:07 pm

Not long ago I bought an original copy of Montezuma's Daughter by H. Rider Haggard. 1893, with those old raggedy paper edges. Got it off a folding table on the sidewalk for all of $20. Haggard spent a year in Mexico researching it. Can't believe people would not be interested in something like that.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:44 pm

Love all those derring-do adventure tales. Rider Haggard also wrote She, and King Solomon's Mines, I also love Lost Horizon by James Hilton, and John Buchan, 39 Steps and Greenmantle. They have never been bettered imo. Mesmerising.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:33 pm

She I think was his best, and it influenced Tolkien greatly (mirror of Galadriel, embalming, etc). Montezuma's daughter is history told from the perspective of a made up character, so has no magic in it, but still has much of the Haggard touch. Haven't read anything by Buchan.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:25 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Love all those derring-do adventure tales. Rider Haggard also wrote She, and King Solomon's Mines, I also love Lost Horizon by James Hilton, and John Buchan, 39 Steps and Greenmantle. They have never been bettered imo. Mesmerising.
Mm I started reading Lost Horizon for school when I was thirteen. Didn't finish it, but it's still over on my shelf. That's the one about Shangri-La. Smile

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:20 am

halfwise wrote:She I think was his best, and it influenced Tolkien greatly (mirror of Galadriel, embalming, etc).  Montezuma's daughter is history told from the perspective of a made up character, so has no magic in it, but still has much of the Haggard touch.  Haven't read anything by Buchan.

Do try 39 Steps, its got that sparkling They Came to Baghdad atmospheric feeling about it. Don't know why but its way better than the films. Greenmantle was totally absorbing and atmospheric with some wondrous unforgettable characters. There's a snowy forest which has stayed in my imagination.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:58 am

Bah, I have too much classic fantasy to read. Can't spend my time on modern-setting fiction!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:11 pm

its 1916 fiction, so quite old. and yes, Lost Horizon was made into the film about Shangri-La. Its a haunting film made in 1937 By Frank Capra, but still beautiful to watch. I would rather watch that than modern fantasy films like Dune or the new Bladerunner, Dune doesn't hold a candle to it. Not even close for mystery atmosphere and character.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:17 pm

Ayup all, Long time, etc, etc.

I was minded how long it’s been since I last popped in, and wondered what the reaction to the Amazon trailer with its issues may be, now that it has indeed surfaced to the wave of revulsion that it has. I can see that they’re on a par with everyone elses, as mine are. Over depicting those characters offered, how Tolkien did not.

I’ve been looking thru the appendices in my ‘complete’ LOTR editions, rather than in appendices found in each individual book of the series ( and believe it or not I only own two of these complete editions and not the individual components) and so can’t see if they’re the same. When I read the appendices on the complete LOTR on my phone, as I do, then they seem quite exciting. Given that they open with me, and then go onto the list of kings And the annals of the ages, kings, etc, I was wondering if these show runners ( what are they anyways ? ) are reading the same things I am, and how is there ‘not much to go on’ as has been mooted by some internet commentators ?

Anyhoo, I’m glad to see all the same names still here more or less. It’s amusing to see an even bigger potential backlash than we had for PJs efforts on the main work.

Well, Until something else happens, Laters folks.

Feanor.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:46 pm

Hi Feanor - yeah, the appendices can be very engrossing reading. Though I can understand compression of timelines (without agreeing with it) I'm thrown into a snit by changing the basics of characters. It's amazing to me the Tolkien estate is letting them get away with this.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:22 pm

Hi halfwise,

Yes. Considering they’ve decided to split the second age into four major events, you’d have thought they could take it easy as it were, and not have to condense it too much. After all, the acme or Apex of the action is to actually have Gandalf either turning up to send Bilbo off with Thorin, or turning up to send Frodo out on the final journey to mount doom at the end of the day.

I also do indeed agree with you about changing both Characters physical characteristics, and Character traits. It’s obvious the worst is changing Galadriel into Xena, and without a Gabrielle even ! Theres plenty second age shenanigans to go around.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:43 pm

Speaking of Lucy Lawless, her performance in season 1 of the TV incarnation of Spartacus is an absolute gritty treat.  Definitely not Galadriel.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:34 pm

halfwise wrote:Speaking of Lucy Lawless, her performance in season 1 of the TV incarnation of Spartacus is an absolute gritty treat.  Definitely not Galadriel.

I’ve devoured all of ‘Ash Vs The evil Dead’ several times now and she’s impressive ! I’m still a Gabrielle fan more though LOL.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:15 pm

This guy was sort of annoying at first, but I've gotten more and more fond of the concept of the hip-hop Tolkien purist. And he does know his stuff.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue May 10, 2022 4:06 am

Hum, I suppose it's too optimistic to think that we'll get some quality behind-the-scenes in the lead-up to the release, as we did with The Hobbit?
They really were my favourite part of the whole trilogy...

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:52 pm

Laughing Laughing

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:04 am

I liked that.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:11 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:

Laughing Laughing

That just about sums it up. Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:54 pm

Works better than showing too many clips from what they actually made.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5