We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

+7
Amarië
Bluebottle
halfwise
David H
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Lancebloke
11 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 7 Empty Re: We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:11 am

Gotta figure the kids all caught it and recovered a month ago; the piano player probably a week early. So then they figured they were immune and back they all come. It's like going out and getting drunk and throwing up, but after that first time you don't get hung over any more. What's not to love?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 7 Empty Re: We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in!

Post by Lancebloke Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:06 pm

I am heading up to a football match tomorrow.

If this was 6 months ago I would have forgone my ticket but I am of the logic now that everyone is being forced back in to life and given that 1 in 13 people had covid last week I am definitely not going to the the only person that is potentially contagious.

Together with having first tested positive over 5 days ago, most symptoms clearing up coupled with knowing that tests can show positive long after being infectious and some symptoms lasting for weeks... I am totally going.

I am not sure if I should feel bad about that or not... I kinda do and kinda don't! Plus tickets were hard to come by and will be an expensive no-show!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:25 pm

My feeling is that symptoms are mild enough among the vaccinated that in extenuating circumstances you can push the borderline. I stayed in a couple days longer than you because I had no compelling reason to go out. For those who refuse to get vaccinated, they made their choice.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:37 pm

If you wear a mask Lance, you don't need to feel guilty. But not wearing one and then infecting someone standing next to you is not something that I could do personally. You don't know who they have at home who is vulnerable.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:32 am

Im of the mind that this virus can be diluted out. The more who catch it and survive the less the grip. I believe in being out in the fresh air as much as possible, I also think that coddling yourself indoors against the virus will hit you harder if you do get it. Its going to alter and change, it will mutate but unless you are seriously ill to begin with then carrying on as normal is my plan. I know people wont like that idea and say what a fool I am, probably say Im a selfish wotsit. I keep myself to myself, I dont sneeze in peoples body zone, wash my hands when I get home & hope this breaks, one day.

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 7 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 7 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:43 am

I agree Az. It's time to treat it more like a cold - people need to get vaccinated, and if they don't it's on them. I'm glad I finally got it in weakened form. Figgs is correct that people may have others who are vulnerable at home, but you have to draw the line at normal activity. Stay home if sick, but otherwise it's time to get back to normal and accept a little more sickness to burn this thing out.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:29 pm

The law here is everyone must wear a mask indoors, all shops, and show a green pass to say you are fully vaccinated and boosted in restaurants. Outdoors, only people past 50 seem to be still wearing masks on the streets because cases are still very high, its not over yet. I find this situation very sensible and it is also very respectful for those who have to shield, and this way people who are vulnerable feel safe to go out and live normal lives. The way the UK has done things is terrible, it has let the virus rip and I have read many letters in the Guardian where disabled and at risk people are afraid to even go to the shops, they feel they have been thrown under a bus. Cases are at record levels and it is too early to relax things, but Johnson and his cabal did it anyway. I get that after two years people have had enough, but it is not a cold and long covid is still a scandal waiting to happen for the government. Its not a cold, its not endemic, its still a pandemic. People can live normal lives but wear a mask, get boosted and protect the vulnerable. But that's just my opinion.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:36 pm

It's a question of whether emergency rooms and hospitals are backing up or not.  If they are, you MUST do something.   I see that Britain's not too far off it's recent peak of hospital use, so maybe it IS too soon.  Italy's more like 1/3 the recent peak, but the US is down around 10%

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:44 pm

Its getting slowly better here, the curve is going down every day for now, so I guess we are over the omicron peak. Hopefully. But you never know with this fucker.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:43 am

The UK is very far off of its previous peak of hospitalizations. The majority of people in hospital and in with it, not because of it. I think numbers in intensive care are about 10% of the peak in January.

I haven't looked at that deaths number but the last time I looked covid had basically substituted influenza as a winter cause of death for vulnerable people which we don't seem to have cared much about for that last 50 years but if they die of covid instead we seem to care.

I still have concern that we are on at the start of the bigger problem created through all the other routine appointments that would have picked up things like cancer and the impacts of life restrictions in other areas, like child development etc.

In my opinion this should now be considered as endemic and life needs to carry on as best it can. People will die as they do all the time from all sorts of things as is the way life is supposed to be and I accept that my family and friends or even I may be in that number one day.... the same as one of them may have died of the flu a couple of years back and would have been just another stat to the rest of the world.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:19 pm

I'm seeing England and UK at about 2/3 of it's most recent peak, but I don't know how far that is from saturation. If not filling up then it's okay.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom/england?view=resource-use&tab=trend&resource=all_resources

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:27 pm

The ICU beds in that graph are very low and I am not sure if the other number is beds because of covid or beds but with covid.

The deaths number is about 10% of peak and should start dropping as we move both over the peak and in to summer.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:15 pm

In my town there seems to be a lot of scaremongery. One minute things are ok, you can still keep hospital appointments, can still see your Dr, do things as normal yadda yadda then, when you do go to the Drs or Hospital or ask the council to fix your gate its a mad waving of hands, eyebrow swizzling and low menacing voices saying how "they" cant operate properly because everyone living in my town is in with covid.

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 7 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

We're all doomed! Doomed I say- the Corona virus thread for panicking in! - Page 7 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:23 pm

{{ Laws on having to wear mask ended in Scotland today, even though figures are still high. But the Scottish govt advice is to still wear them in shops and public transport or crowded places at your own digression- which I think at this point with hospital numbers being significant but not anything like at the start of all this, is probably the right thing to do- Ill still be wearing mine when I go shopping, and at work in the hotel for a while yet until the local numbers drop lower. From what I saw downtown today I'd say about 60% of folk I saw in shops had masks on still. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:04 am

No posts since April
Truly, I am forgotten
What power I had

A Haiku, by COVID

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7