Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Hollyoaks Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

All New Who - Page 2 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 11, 2018 2:17 pm

{{Yeah not exactly a directors list to make you sit up and take notice- if you compare that to the directors for Capaldi's first series it's even worse- there you had Ben Wheatley an acclaimed up and coming young director fresh off his much applauded film A Field In England, and Talalay who has several Hollywood and independent films under her belt as both director and producer as well as a ton of Tv work, particualry in the sci-fi/fantasy genre.
And when it comes to just tv directors they were at least directing slightly higher calibre tv than soaps, Paul Wilmhurst for example who directed Law and Order UK, Silent Witness, Da Vinci's Demons, Trial and Retribution and Sheree Folkstone- Band of Brothers, Casanova, Ugly Betty (and the only soapish credit here)  The Bill.

Series 11 list seems, well cheap by comparison and lacking in experience within the genres Who tends to cover (unless Chibnal plans on making it and shooting like a soap!). Also noticed it was a 50/50 split between male and female writers and I can't help but wonder if meeting that criteria was of more importance than getting the best directors available was Suspect }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 12, 2018 2:47 pm

{{{ Who has been accused of pushing a LGBT agenda since it came back, and in general with a few heavy handed exceptions I've always felt it was not any sort of corporate agenda just the direction, lives and interests of those in charge of the shows writing coming through in their work naturally- so with RTD we did get more references to homosexuality and more LGBT characters, even if they often were just secondary characters and a more prominent female co-lead, but there was no doubt a noticeable difference in the treatment of such characters compared to classic. And this isn't surprising because RTD has a history of writing about such characters, that's his thing. That doesn't make it an agenda its just what he writes about whether he is writing Who or not.
With Moffat you can go back to his first show Press Gang to find that he prefers female leads over male, he writes strong female characters and he promotes female characters often at the expense of the male (because he is also a sitcom writer!) and he maintained and built on RTD's promotion of companion to co-lead, but again its the style of the writer coming out in the work. Not an agenda. You can see similar characters, styling and promotin of ideas in Moffats other works just as you can see RTD's interests in his other works.

But I am finding it more difficult with the new team on Who and the BBC marketing of it to find it harder and harder not see a deliberate agenda being forced here.

For example the BBC have just announced that the first 11th Doctor official prose story to be published will be written by leading LGBT writer Juno Dawson. I am sure she is a good writer, I'm sure she is a Who fan, but if the BBC just picked her for her writing skills why announce it talking about her as a LGBT writer? Why is that even relevant? Why does the BBC believe its important we know this about her?
I am starting to get a slow building feeling that the view at the BBC is a man cannot, and worse should not, be allowed to write the 11th Doctor as a man cant possibly write a female Doctor (maybe they will make exceptions for gay men!). Which is so blatantly ridiculous and sexist I dont even know where to begin Mad  }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 25, 2018 12:14 am

Twitch is back with another TV marathon-streaming stunt: More than 500 classic “Doctor Who” episodes will be broadcast on the Amazon-owned service over a seven-week span.
The “Doctor Who” episodes from 26 seasons — going back to the show’s inception in 1963 until 1989 — will be available on Twitch starting May 29 at 11 a.m. PT. Fans can tune in each weekday to watch a collection of live-streaming episodes on twitch.tv/TwitchPresents in 6-7 hour daily blocks (which will be repeated twice back-to-back for international audiences). - Variety

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri May 25, 2018 5:43 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{I still haven't got round to the river Song BF yet- out of curiosity though the  character must be getting close to having more BF time as the character than she ever had on TV (even many 'River' episodes she doesn't feature heavily- such as Good Man Goes to War where her total onscreen presence is about 10-15 minutes.)}}}}

6 episodes of Doom Coalition, in which she has a prominent supporting role, plus the 3 boxsets (plus at least 2 further confirmed, and counting) of The Diary Of River Song in which she is the leading part gives us 18 hours of Audio River Song so far, with a further 8 hours already recorded, so yeah she's probably doubled her 'screentime' in the audio stories (which only take a day or two to record per episode).

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri May 25, 2018 5:44 pm

On the subject of Big Finish, I'm kinda tempted to post a picture of my CD collection...it's got rather big!!!

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 26, 2018 3:52 pm

{{Oh please do Malick- I look great green with envy!!! Very Happy }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 28, 2018 5:41 pm

{{Um ok, apparently 13 is going to have a cat living in the TARDIS (and not a metal cat, or a talking New Earth nurse cat but just a cat). You can make of that what you will! }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon May 28, 2018 5:56 pm

What did you say, Petty? Fat living haggis!? I can't hear you over these warning bells and the crabbit meter heating up.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 28, 2018 5:59 pm

{{Ive had to put ice on my crabbit meter Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 28, 2018 8:16 pm

Well, cats will find their way into any dry, warm spot. It's just what they do. I don't see how this is any different from the Doctor wearing a woollen scarf.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon May 28, 2018 9:04 pm

I think there might be some complaints if that is what the cat will be used for. Laughing

Data and Spot were a cute match though, I guess it depends on how they do it.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon May 28, 2018 9:36 pm

All New Who - Page 2 Babype10

Was this you, as a child Petty ?

All New Who - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

All New Who - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 28, 2018 11:26 pm

{{{  Laughing 'Fraid not Azriel- and sadly I suspect that child is not even really Scottish- as no scot would wear a kilt the colour of vegetables!! No }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 28, 2018 11:52 pm

{{{ Taking broader Who into account the Doctors had talking penguins and flying dinos in the TARDIS so a cat's pretty mild- just seems odd especially when you've already got four main characters to split screen time between, plus plot, villains ect to give time over to a cat, any time.

on a more positive note, thought this was very well made-}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 29, 2018 9:16 pm

{{Rumours and possible spoilers-

Spoiler:
}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue May 29, 2018 11:57 pm

did someone mention cats? mine has given me fleas and hides in my car engine. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 30, 2018 12:32 am

{{Well I hope the Doctors cat doesn't hide in the TARDIS engines- not sure what happens when you add a cat to a sun perpetually held in the moment of collapsing into a black hole but it probably involves spaghetti! No  }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 31, 2018 8:06 pm

{{This is worth a watch- talking about time travel in stories and in this bit Who }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 pm

https://www.facebook.com/WhistleSports/videos/1958601387519476/

Test run for the new Tardis ?

All New Who - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

All New Who - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:27 pm

{{Allegedly the end of an era- the last Jago and Litefoot BF story ever!! For those who dont know this pair they appeared in the 4th Doctor story The Talons of Weng-Chiang which was set in Victorian London- Jago and Litefoot were if you like the original Paternoster Gang, and they have been reappearing in their own line of BF stories for years as a Who spin off series. }}

{{And heres part 1 of Talons- not very pc by todays standards though it never bothered me the Chinese guy was a white guy in make-up as it was always referencing older stuff like Fu Manchu as much as it does gothic horror and Hammer House of Horror films-oh and you need to change the playback speed, three little lines top right of the vid screen, click that set the speed to 0.75}}

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x62guh5

{{ps- question to Admin- why cant I put up dailymotion vids? When I try it tells me its an invalid dailymotion link! }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Allegedly the end of an era- the last Jago and Litefoot BF story ever!! For those who dont know this pair they appeared in the 4th Doctor story The Talons of Weng-Chiang which was set in Victorian London- Jago and Litefoot were if you like the original Paternoster Gang, and they have been reappearing in their own line of BF stories for years as a Who spin off series. }}

{{And heres part 1 of Talons- not very pc by todays standards though it never bothered me the Chinese guy was a white guy in make-up as it was always referencing older stuff like Fu Manchu as much as it does gothic horror and Hammer House of Horror films-oh and you need to change the playback speed, three little lines top right of the vid screen, click that set the speed to 0.75}}

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x62guh5

{{ps- question to Admin- why cant I put up dailymotion vids? When I try it tells me its an invalid dailymotion link! }}}

Talons is a fantastic serial, and I've listened to three or four of the Jago and Lightfoot audios, great series, nice cozy listening, anchored by the chemistry of the two leads, such a shame it's ended after the sad passing of Trevor Baxter, but judging by the reviews it was a fitting way to bow out, my BF collection expands ever more (it did this very day in fact, damn you tempting warehouse clearance sales!) and I'm very much planning on eventually getting properly into J+L if my budget and spare time ever allows. Apparently the scripts for series 14 were finished and ready to record before Baxter's passing, BF have hinted they would like to bring them to the public in some form eventually, perhaps as audiobooks or expanded into novels if the license ever allows?

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:41 pm

{{Damn I did not know that was the reaosn- missed that sad news somehow. I did know there was another series being written which is why I said 'allegedly' thinking it was a tricksy bit of marketing- now I wish it was.
I've only listened to a couple of their BF and had much the same experience as yourself Malick, its easy to see how they have retained enough of a following to have survived from the 1970's till today. Maybe they will now get a spin off comic or something  with the series written but sadly now never to be performed. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:22 pm

{{{Chibnall, Whittaker and the rest of the new cast will all be on a panel at San Deigo Comic-Con- so we finally might get some actual information about what they are doing, how pc is all sounds, and hopefully actually find out who the bloody writers are! And I assume at least a teaser trailer (rumour had it the teaser would be during Englands first world cup match and the full trailer at Comic-Con, but there was no teaser during the game so who knows now) }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Damn I did not know that was the reaosn- missed that sad news somehow. I did know there was another series being written which is why I said 'allegedly' thinking it was a tricksy bit of marketing- now I wish it was.
I've only listened to a couple of their BF and had much the same experience as yourself Malick, its easy to see how they have retained enough of a following to have survived from the 1970's till today. Maybe they will now get a spin off comic or something  with the series written but sadly now never to be performed. }}}

I read somewhere that Baxter had been seriously ill for quite some time, so this news wasn't unexpected given his health and age, but sad nonetheless.

Looking at the wiki it seems Colin Baker appeared as the 6th Doctor in at least eight stories with the duo, something I didn't know (though I've listened to the two 'Voyage' stories he did with them, good fun)

In other, more surprising Big Finish news, they are doing Class audios! Shocked very surprised they would touch that corner of the whoniverse so soon, it wasn't very popular was it? and eight episodes doesn't leave much room or backstory to elaborate on, interesting they are bringing back Ace and the Daleks though to tie it more into the main who canon, as someone who collects BF mainly on CD, the news of a rather limited print run is interesting, I wonder if this signifies a change in the other ranges? could they end up going entirely download only?

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/class-returns

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum