Mrs Figg wrote:good luck Dave.  
Ladies wee-wee tubes around the world thank you very muchly. Thumbs Up

Uhuh ! Very Happy

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Empty Re: Tales of Home [9]

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 am

well mine do Nod its the cherry they make you stop bounce for the loo.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 am

Best of luck, Dave! I hope no bears (or drunken Scotshobbits) get in your way. Razz
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:54 am

Thanks everybody! Very Happy
Our first long day today.
Remember what Halfy said about the dangers of trying to keep up with grad students when you've aged a bit?
The same principles apply to field work too.
Gotta be done though.  
I've still got the moves to keep up with the best of em :carrot:
{{but I'll pay for it tomorrow... :facepalm: }}

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Well, at least I don't have to keep up with them every day. You've got weeks to go. pale Somehow I think your challenge is healthier than mine.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:11 am

{{Wish you could all hear what I can right now- I'm at work (night porter in a big hotel) and the MOD is on this weekend in my hometown (actually been on all week) its a big Gaelic singing competition, moves about the country- right now about a dozen competitors who are staying here are on the landing just in front of my main desk, discussing, singing, improvising and generally sounding amazing singing old Gaelic songs without accompaniment- just their voices. Sounds incredible. The melodies, and when the all the voices slowly come in, got goose-bumps!}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:06 am

Impromptu moments like that give me the tingles & you remember that for a long long time, its great isn't it Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:50 pm

If you had one of 'em fancy modern phones you could video it for us.

No longer in the old folks home, or is this a second job?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:22 pm

{{Just about to head off to work on the nightshift. Should be an interesting night-
1. theres a full moon.
2. the hotel could audition for the Shining.
Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 32576733
3. Its been full of 'mediums' and 'psychics' all day doing readings and stuff.

So, assuming for the sake of argument, there is anything to their mumbo-jumbo- then I have to walk about a dark spooky hotel all night in which they've spent the day poikng the dead with a stick and stirring them up Mad  
And worse I noticed they had been researching on the work computer the local massacre, in which the Lamonts got brutally murdered and betrayed- by my ancestors!

So of I'm not here tomorrow Ive probably met my end in a gruesome and terrifying fashion at the undead hands of Lamont Highland zombies! pale Least its not quite Samhain! (though close enough!! Mad  )}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Smile fill your pockets with protection crystals, shove a bible down yer pants, chew garlic, adopt a friends dog for the night to go round with you. carry a bag of salt, Lastly, invite that stupid %£$*^ Evette Fielding to really meet a ghost cus that dappy &^£$ is such a faker ! its about time she really did get the shits & spooked out ! Actually watching someone else being scared brings out the hero in oneself. Keep a whistle in yer pocket, Ive heard spooks hate high pitched noises Smile I wonder who thought THAT one up ? If all else fails wear waterproof undercrackers Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:51 pm

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:02 am

Petty - how does your little spit of land support such a large hotel?

But I'm sure the McTyrant clan can take a bit of spooks. They're probably more scared of you than you are of them...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:43 am

{{Well no ghosties, booglies, nor faeries (the last being particularly likely as the hotel is next to Morag's Faery Glen) its seems the stench of spirits on me put off the actual spirits!

"how does your little spit of land support such a large hotel?"- Halfwise

Ah, there's a tale of sorts Halfy- there are still a surprising amount of hotels and B&B's in my town- it was with the advent of the industrial revolution that the town transformed from small village around a strategically located castle (you can easily spot any vessels trying to come up the River Clyde from a great distance- for the very same reason massive anti-ship guns were located on the hillsides here in WW2 to stop German ships coming up the river to the Clyde shipyards, and the entire breadth of it was defended with an anti-sub boom from shore to shore).

But it was the steamers, the puffers and the railways combined that made the town the ideal get away for the shipyard and steel and iron and coal workers of the industrialised Glasgow and surrounds that made it a tourist destination. Within  a days journey of Glasgow, affordable, and now easy to get to. The Clyde is a boundary, on the Glasgow side of it you are in the Lowlands, but on this side your in the Highlands, and the rest of Scotland is open to you, well not so much then but more than you might expect- lochs such as Loch Eck, which now the odd canoeist takes too (also known locally as the Mirrorloch)-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Fixedw-large-4x

once had steamers of its own taking tourists up and down its seven mile length granting access to the villages of Glenbranter, Strachur and so Loch Fyne.

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Loch-eck-steamer-victorian-period-DRN22-K

But in Dunoon one of oldest and most prominent hotels is the Argyll, as its right in town and originally right on the shore, but a lots been reclaimed since it was built and now there's a garden bit, a road and a carpark between it and the sea.

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Dunoon-argyll-hotel-1904-52613

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Dunoon-argyll-hotel-main-street-1904-52614

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Best-western-argyll-hotel

When it comes to big hotels there were three main ones, McColls, The Selbourne and the one I work in, The Glenmorag. Sadly McColls was demolished a few years ago, which was a shame, I worked there in my youth as a waiter for a while and it was an amazing building, particualry inside as it was all built in the art-deco style-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Mccollshoteldunoon

Sadly a pile of rubble now. The Selbourne is down the West Bay on the beach front-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Selborne-hotel-dunoon

There's a whole load of hotels along the West Bay, Selbourne is the biggest, but there's also The Esplanade-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Exterior

Bit small, but you can see the whole row of them along the far bay here-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Selborne-hotel

This was it in the early days-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 West-Bay-Dunoon-Scotland-Photography

and similar view today- not a lots changed-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 2532026

And there are a few other notable hotels around town or the immediate area-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Hunters-quay-hotel-dunoon

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Royal-marine-hotel

And if you yearn for a taste of what it was all like back in its heyday of tourism, the you can also arrive at the Victorian era pier aboard the paddle steamer Waverley, still steaming her way around the Clyde to this day.

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 1-Waverley-Dunoon-06

These days the town basically survives on a mixture of event hosting- Cowal Highland Gathering, hosting events like the MOD Gaelic festival, the biking trials, rallies, and hotels do stuff like the mediums and psychics thing too, or other conferences or special events which keeps them ticking over- were about half full but seasons over and were into winter now, it only shuts down totally four weeks a year, two in November and two in January (doesn't effect me though, still needs security). Mainly the town sells itself on being a 'Gateway to the Highlands'- and the scenery is pretty good. And you dont have to go far before it gets better and not too much further before your wandering in spectacular and breathtaking. So has that going for it.-

Morags Faery Glen, next to my hotel, originally part of its estate-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 12445305923-6074058c23-b

and the similar Puck's Glen, about six miles out of town-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 4-4-3l

Theres a ton of these littel places with walks wand bridges over small streams and rivers that flow down the hillsides here.
Also near Pucks Glen you have the Botanical Gardens-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Attractionpic-486

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Benmore-botanic-garden

ad a couple miles out of town th ether way you have the Chinese Lakes- no idea why so called, they are a Victorian folly, the bridges ect were built to look damaged and older than they are-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 4613914892-ab7c958180-b

and if you ant your vistas bigger you can always go hill climbing for a view of Lock Fyne and Inveraray (about an hour and three-quarters drive through beautiful countryside and passed Loch Eck (the Mirrorloch) on your way-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 I-Stock-483226423

or maybe of the Kyles of Bute if you ant to go  bit further afield-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 80}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:33 pm

lovely pictures Petty ! beautiful & looks unspoilt. liked the history too Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:44 pm

love the faery glen and the Chinese lakes. I love you
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:52 pm

Looking at it on the map I see it's not the small slip of land I had imagined, and in fact the River Clyde coming out of Glasgow sort of rams you right into the arms of Dunoon. It's been fun looking up all the little pubs and hotels - decent prices too. Not a bad stop for a weekend vacation out of the big town.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:36 am

I love all the glimpses of your local history that you share on here, Petty. Smile Really interesting stuff, and gorgeous photos as usual!

halfwise wrote:Looking at it on the map I see it's not the small slip of land I had imagined, and in fact the River Clyde coming out of Glasgow sort of rams you right into the arms of Dunoon.  It's been fun looking up all the little pubs and hotels - decent prices too.  Not a bad stop for a weekend vacation out of the big town.

If I ever go on my long-dreamt-of European I'd definitely like to visit forum friends, so Petty's part of Scotland has been on my mind before and it looks like the kind of place that would be an easy sell to anyone I might be traveling with. Very Happy How difficult is it to get to Dunoon from Glasgow, Petty? I vaguely recall you mentioning before* that some customer service department had insisted you lived on an island other than Britain. Razz

*So I got curious and Google indicates that "before" in this instance means "almost seven-and-a-half years ago" (>link<). Laughing
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:53 am

{{Its a peninsula so there is a land route from Glasgow to Dunoon, a good drive too, you go through the Loch Lomond national park

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Loch-lomond-beinn-dubh

over the rest and Be Thankful Mountain path,

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 1-17-2l

if you leave in the morning a small twenty minute diversion will let you have lunch in Inveraray, where I would strongly recommend the George Hotel-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 348s

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Cocktailbar-fire

then round Loch Fyne to Strachur, along Lock Eck side to the Holy Loch,

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Holy-loch

round it and your in Dunoon- couple hours drive on a good day.

However most of winter the Rest and Be Thankful can be all but impassable, and if its out there is no land route, the fasted and most travelled route therefore is across the Clyde by ferry, the shortest route taking about 20 minutes the longer one about 40 (hence why package companies like Amazon think we are an island as deliverers go by ferry not road)- ferries are regular, every twenty minutes and if it gets very busy they throw another boat out, there's a car ferry and a passenger only. And there is a direct train link from the ferry terminal to Glasgow central (about 30 minutes if you get an express train, an hour if it make all the stops on route). If your driving it is faster than going round Loch Lomond, but its nowhere near as stunning a route. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:37 am

That definitely makes the idea of renting a car seem much more attractive. Nod
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:04 am

{{ I tried to get the route on google maps but wouldn't even give the land route as an option, just the ferry route, so had to break it into two stages, sing the turn off at Arrochar as a mid point roughly. Also Ive done it assuming anyone visiting would be coming from the airport in a hire car, Glasgow airport is actually nearer the town of Paisley than it is Glasgow, but if you were arriving at Glasgow Central by train, say from England there is a train connection there right to the Dunoon ferry terminal in Greenock-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 1

You also cross the Clyde by the Ersking Bridge-

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 Erskine-Bridge

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 2

By comparison taking the ferry across, either on foot and then the train or by car is more direct and quicker, though unless you've a thing for passing through old shipbuilding and steel work areas of the west of Scotland its not as scenic a trip, though the ferry journey is which you miss out on if you go by road

Tales of Home [9] - Page 9 3}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:29 pm

The drive looks stunning. Nod I've had a hankering for a while to try to do the Western and Eastern Highland Line. (No idea when I'll actually manage it though. Razz ) Perhaps I could find some time when in the environs of Glasgow. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:51 am

Done with Harvest at LAST!!!
 :carrot: cheers :carrot:

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 am

Congrats, Dave! Cheerleader Enjoy your well-earned rest.
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Whoo-hoo!  Time for a pint! pub

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next