Star Wars [3] - Page 6 Empty Re: Star Wars [3]

Post by azriel Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Very Happy

Star Wars [3] - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Star Wars [3] - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Eldorion wrote:‘Game of Thrones’ Creators to Write, Produce New ‘Star Wars’ Series of Films - Variety

“Game of Thrones” creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going to write and produce a new series of “Star Wars” films, Disney announced on Tuesday.

The new series will be separate from the main episodic Skywalker saga that started with “Star Wars: A New Hope” and is slated to wrap up with 2019’s “Star Wars: Episode IX.” It will also exist independently from a Rian Johnson-helmed series that was announced last year.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

Disney did not give a timeline for when these new Benioff and Weiss-penned films will hit theaters. On an earnings call, Disney CEO Bob Iger said that the two men had approached the studio with an idea a while ago.  Even though the duo made their name in television, Iger said they were not interested in doing something on the small screen.

Star Wars [3] - Page 6 EdPypoG

On the plus side, this might mean that their alternate history HBO series Confederate won't happen.

Star Wars [3] - Page 6 R5lugfv9mne01

Isn't Kathleen Kennedy the one who keeps saying they're going to get minority and female directors for these SW movies? Not that I think the race or gender of the director matters. But to say you're going to do something that is obviously only meant to virtue signal and appeal to the fan base you are trying to establish, and then never following through on it just makes the sentiment shockingly hollow.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Quality meme there Bungo, Very Happy

but holy crow, does that image really need to be 3800x4000?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:35 pm

I didn't make the meme, found it on the RLM subreddit. And yeah, it's way too big.

Maybe David and Dan's SW movies will take 12 years to make.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:39 pm

{{{I thought from the title of this vid I would probably have heard it all already- happily surprised to find that was not the case- a nicely constructed piece }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 pm

From you background you may have heard much of this, but I think for the rest of us this is nearly all new information. As eye-opening as "Star Wars minus John Williams".

What we eventually saw seemed so perfectly constructed that it seemed inevitable, leading one to think it was the original, fully formed construction. Very instructive to learn otherwise.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 am

Indeed, I love behind the scenes stuff like this.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:37 am

The Secret History of Star Wars had a really great article about Marcia Lucas which I thought was lost with the original site but there's apparently still a backup of it online.

http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

The whole site is great BTW. I really like the Rinzler books too but you get a different perspective from someone writing as an outsider.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:02 pm

you may have heard much of this- Halfy

{{Goes to show- I thought that SW being pretty much a dumpster fire before the editing process was generally well known- but there was stuff in that vid I had not previously seen or heard which is why I posted it- sure there was not much new to the likes of Eldo however - looks like an interesting link that Eldo, marked it for later reading as not quite got the time right now for such a lengthy read}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Yeah, I thought that the rough cut of Star Wars being a mess was more widely known, but that's the fandom bubble for you, I guess. In fairness to Lucas, he was trying to distill an entire nascent mythology that he'd been shaping over a period of several years into a single two hour film. The amount of material left behind before they started filming is mind-boggling, but he clearly needed (and got) help at hacking the material they did shoot down into something that worked. A lot of the stuff that got cut, such as the early scenes on Tatooine, survived in other forms in the novelization and the radio play and I think a lot of the ideas had genuine merit, they just didn't work in the context of a single theatrical film.

The part about the Death Star not being about to blow up Yavin IV in the rough cut was new to me though. That's kinda crazy.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:15 pm

From the video it didn't seem like the cut pieces contained extra mythology so much as unimportant details that really don't tell the viewers anything they wouldn't get in another form. The rest of the editing was mainly rearranging the storyline. So it seems to me the problems weren't excess mythology so much as poor storytelling.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Most of the mythological elements were cut before they started filming but there were a lot of weird remnants of ideas (not just myth stuff) that stuck around for longer than they should have. Part of that's probably on the nature of George's creative process and the fact that he was making it up as he went (which is how the entire Original Trilogy was made). And also, yes, he just tried to cram too much into the rough cut.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Most of the mythological elements were cut before they started filming but there were a lot of weird remnants of ideas (not just myth stuff) that stuck around for longer than they should have.

Like midichlorians? Suspect

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 pm

Even I have to admit -- as does Lucas himself -- that narrative storytelling is not his strong suit. If he could have spent his entire career making abstract films like THX 1138 he probably would have. But I think Lucas was nonetheless a huge part of Star Wars' success and while I'm all for recognizing the many contributions of other people that made it work, especially Marcia Lucas since she is so often forgotten, I don't like the trend of acting like Star Wars was successful in spite of George when it wouldn't have happened at all without him. That's not necessarily what this video is saying but it's how it was interpreted by a lot of people on the forum where I first saw it linked. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 pm

Only Lucas could have created it; he just didn't fully understand what he created.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:42 pm

halfwise wrote:Like midichlorians? Suspect

I mean, this is how Lucas' original two-page summary of what later became Star Wars began:

Journal of the Whills

I

This is the story of Mace Windy, a revered Jedi-bendu of Ophuchi, as related to us by C.J. Thorpe, padawaan learner to the famed Jedi.

I am Chuiee Two Thorpe of Kissel. My father is Han Dardell Thorpe, chief pilot of the renown galactic cruiser Tarnack. As a family we were not rich, except in honor, and valuing this above all mundane possessions, I chose the profession of my father, rather than a more profitable career. I was 16, I believe, and pilot of the trawler Balmung, when my ambitions demanded that I enter the exalted Intersystems Academy to train as a potential Jedi-Templer. It is here that I became padawaan learner to the great Mace Windy, highest of all the Jedi-bendu masters, and at that time, Warlord to the Chairman of the Alliance of Independent Systems.

Never shall I forget the occasion upon which I first set eyes upon Mace Windy. It was at the great feast of the Pleabs. There were gathered under one roof, the most powerful warriors in the Galaxy, and although I realize my adoration of the Master might easily influence my memory, when he entered the hall, these great and noble warlords fell silent. It was said he was the most gifted and powerful man in the Independent Systems. Some felt he was even more powerful than the Imperial leader of the Galactic Empire.

You can actually see a lot of connections to the prequels both in terms of names he later reused (Mace Windy -> Mace Windu, Alliance of Independent Systems -> Confederacy of Independent Systems) and in the sorta, y'know, general tone. Laughing There was a long period where Star Wars wore its Dune influences very prominently on its sleeve, and Lucas also wanted to make the Empire an allegory for American imperialism. The rebel base on Yavin IV is in a jungle because they're in part patterned on the Viet Cong, and the Emperor was a Nixon-like figure. He's still described in similar terms in the novelization of the original film (not that they name-checked Nixon in the published version) as a puppet of "massive organs of commerce", and the idea of the Emperor as a powerful sorcerer didn't enter into the picture until after the original film was complete.

Also, the second draft of the screenplay for the original film was tentatively titled Adventures of the Starkiller as taken from the Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars. Razz

halfwise wrote:Only Lucas could have created it; he just didn't fully understand what he created.

I think this is fair to say. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:53 pm

I do maintain though that introducing Biggs Darklighter and including more scenes on Tatooine early in the film was not a bad idea in theory. Seeing a space battle both from space and from the surface of a planet is a neat idea as it helps really give a more concrete sense of what it might be like to live in such a universe. There was a lot of material about the universe that could've been worked in if Lucas were writing a fantasy doorstopper series instead of a screenplay, but the story as conceived of during production (which was already much condensed from early drafts) still would've been far too long for film. Eventually Lucas consciously began basing his characters around Campbellian archetypes which I think worked well, but he resisted removing much of the backstory and more detailed characterization even though it had been rendered superfluous by the shift towards the simpler and more universal, if that makes sense.

Obviously other people on the production had a much stronger grasp of brevity and tension and the film wouldn't have worked nearly as well (if at all) without them.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 pm

padawaan Jedi J.D. THORPE??  

Oh hell no.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:09 am

This guy really didn't like the film. So critical its funny.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat May 05, 2018 1:12 am

May the fourth be with you, etc. etc. Razz

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat May 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Finally, belatedly, watched the last jedi. Found it rather underwhelming, but perhaps less of a mess than the first one. Not sure what is the great attraction though, other than it being Star Wars.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 06, 2018 4:27 am

I assume by the first one you mean Force Awakens? Though no huge fan of FA I must beg to differ: Last Jedi was a HUGE mess. Force Awakens was disturbingly derivative, but not so much a mess.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun May 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Hm, to me it was the opposite, the last jedi seemed uninspired writing by recipe, "Oh, let's send them to a casino here!" etc.

The force awakens creaked under the amount of information it tried to impart, but had some inspired moments. (While I was not a fan of the movie as a whole.) Real modern overexposed writing, in the style of Moffat, PJ, and I guess.. not surprisingly JJ Abrahams.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 06, 2018 1:19 pm

"modern overexposed writing" is a good phrase. Not entirely sure what it means but it sounds right.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun May 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Might be a neologism of mine. scratch But think a Moffat season ender, where suddenly he needs to tie all of his ideas, exposition, plot threads together in 15 minutes, and it all collapses under the weight of itself into something resembling an ending, but with glaring logical holes. The Star Trek film Abraham did, Sherlock, GoT, the Hobbit, this form of writing "high-end popular" drama these days seem endemic.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next