malickfan
Forest Shepherd
azriel
halfwise
Eldorion
22 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 26 Empty Re: Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:51 am

Well, there's no comparison in terms of world-building between Narnia and LotR. And GoT is far too new to have much written about it.

Nice to hear more 2nd age confirmation!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 26 Empty Re: Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:42 am

'The show runners are determined to remain faithful to the existing trilogies and the spirit of the books.'

{{ Those two things are not compatible.
If they keep consistent to the look of the films then Rohan is a rocky hilly place instead of rolling grass plains and Minas Tirith sits in a plain of dust all on its own without so much as a single farm to support it. And the distance between it Osgiliath and Mordor changes according to plot convenience!
In terms of armour and the like for most of it they did a very good job on the original trilogy, but not all of it, the Witchkings get up for one with it 'Scream' helmet, and Saurons spiky Heavy Metal get up spring to mind as examples of PJ excess. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:55 am

The idea of a Lord of the Rings television show set in the Second Age might just make us miss the days of Peter Jackson turning Bilbo and the dwarves into looney Toons characters

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:07 am

RA wrote:The idea of a Lord of the Rings television show set in the Second Age might just make us miss the days of Peter Jackson turning Bilbo and the dwarves into looney Toons characters

Nope! I'm pretty sure nothing could do THAT! pale No

Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 26 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 26 UJpDi Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 26 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:22 am

If I look at it from a cynical business man's perspective who just wants a return on investment I could maybe see what they might try. They will try to make the Lord of the Rings show the next Game of Thrones since now that's over. Maybe not the blood and sex, but the big action set pieces, the familiar and some political intrigue. So they could make a season set in Numenor starring Elendil, Isildur and Amandil, and Arpharazon, the king.

Then depending on how long they want the show to be - like 8 seasons - have the first season ending with the Numenorians invading Middle Earth and capturing Sauron. A bunch of political intrigue with the elves and Numenorians having a falling out the Faithful becoming some sort of political class even.

Then season 2 would be where the Numenorians go to war with Valinor. They'd probably add a bunch of battles or some other clique of elves that Numenorians could fight before getting to the Undying Lands.

Season 3 is the aftermath where the Faithful retreat to Middle Earth and settle into it. Maybe even introduce some sort of element of racism between the Numenorians and the lesser men in Middle Earth, depending on how much they want to go that route.

Season 4 could be stuff about Celebrimbor making the rings and Sauron reappearing in Mordor. I don't know what the rest would be about.

With the amount of money Amazon is pouring into this I think they'll pull out all the stops. Have Legolas show up or Galadriel or Elrond. Sauron is the big one they'll use throughout the whole show probably. Maybe even have hobbits there for no reason or dwarves once they get to Middle Earth. I think the gaping flaw with everything to do with this is that we don't have any extended narratives written by Tolkien himself in the Second Age outside a few like Aldarion and Erendis. But I don't think they would pull material from that anyways. The temptation for the familiar might be too strong. So all of this would just be fan fiction, possibly very bad fanfiction like what Jackson did with the Hobbit. I don't know how one would go about doing this properly...

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:38 am

David H wrote:
RA wrote:The idea of a Lord of the Rings television show set in the Second Age might just make us miss the days of Peter Jackson turning Bilbo and the dwarves into looney Toons characters

Nope! I'm pretty sure nothing could do THAT! pale  No

Things could always get worse. I can't imagine something worse than a gritty re-imagining of Lord of the Rings where all the character swear like sailors and there's tons of sex scenes aka Game of Thrones.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:42 pm

RA wrote: I can't imagine something worse than a gritty re-imagining of Lord of the Rings where all the character swear like sailors and there's tons of sex scenes aka Game of Thrones.

Oh that's easy RA! Just imagine all of that plus LoonyToon dwarves and wizards on bunnysleds Shocked Twisted Evil

{{and even THAT wouldn't be enough to make me miss PJ's adaptation of The Hobbit Evil or Very Mad }}

Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 26 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 26 UJpDi Amazon, Warner Bros in Talks for LOTR Series Adaptation: Variety - Page 26 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:49 pm

I'm pretty much with you on the seasons, RA, but I would put your season 4 as season 1.

And the Numenorians did not really "go to war" with Valinor. Yes, they did an invasion, but there was no fighting that I recall.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:11 pm

halfwise wrote:I'm pretty much with you on the seasons, RA, but I would put your season 4 as season 1.

And the Numenorians did not really "go to war" with Valinor.  Yes, they did an invasion, but there was no fighting that I recall.
I think that the studio will feel inclined to add battles where there were none to keep people with low attention spans entertained. Also yeah I guess they'd make the Rings of power stuff first to hook the movie fans in first.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:25 pm

Well damn. Shocked Great to see you around again, RA! cheers

I imagine there will be plenty of fighting in the series, and in all honesty it's not hard to fit it in even while following what Tolkien told us about the Second Age. The Númenóreans fought lots of wars in their time (including being the decisive factor in the War of the Elves and Sauron, something like 1500 years before Sauron was brought to Númenor) and countless implied colonial conflicts throughout the history of the empire they built in Middle-earth.

The forging of the Rings of Power is in many ways the obvious starting point for an epic seeking to cover the grand sweep of the Second Age, if Amazon chooses to go that route. However, the Númenóreans don't become central actors until the end of that conflict, and I'd imagine/hope that the series will focus more on humans that Elves--though I would like for there to also be plenty of Elfy goodness. I could see Amazon choosing to just focus on the concluding centuries of the Second Age, which would make for a more focused multi-season narrative.
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:13 pm

Yeah I expect lots of battles and warfare. I think the problem comes from trying to string that all to one set of characters that a casual tv audience can empathize with. Maybe they'll pull a little bit of a Game of Thrones by giving us a set of characters we're meant to like, The Starks aka Arpharazon the King. And then within the second or third season they'll switch our focus to Isildur and the Faithful.
But telling a generational story would be difficult and risky. With the amount of money Amazon is throwing at this I don't think they'll give us more than the lifetime of one character or two characters, say Elendil's youth up to the last alliance of men and elves.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:30 am

To be fair, that's a whole lot more of a lifetime than what is usually meant by the phrase!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:37 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:To be fair, that's a whole lot more of a lifetime than what is usually meant by the phrase!
True I guess they could get away with a lot because early Numenorians lived so long. Laughing But before Jackson's Hobbit trilogy I remember thinking it would be cool to see some of the dwarves history. That is until we actually saw it and what that meant. So this show kinda has me gun shy of what sort of hatchet they might take to the story of the Numenorians... Sofa

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:38 am

With the amount of money Amazon is throwing at this I don't think they'll give us more than the lifetime of one character or two characters

Don't you mean they'd give MORE than a lifetime of one or two characters? We're talking something like a billion dollars, right?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:22 am

Didn't Thrones spend that much? And they only covered a handful of years.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:45 am

halfwise wrote:
With the amount of money Amazon is throwing at this I don't think they'll give us more than the lifetime of one character or two characters

Don't you mean they'd give MORE than a lifetime of one or two characters?  We're talking something like a billion dollars, right?
I would think they'd want to take less risks and having a story that covers generations of different people is harder to do than telling the story of a few people. But who knows what they're actually gonna do.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:14 am

{{ First up and most importantly- RA!!!! cheers Welcome back! pub Its great to see you here again.

You hit on an issue I have always had with adapting this time period- its generational which makes it hard to adapt, not impossible, its been done before, but it throws up a lot of extra challenges when you have to invest the audiences with each new generation of characters. It like changing your entire principle cast every series. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:35 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ First up and most importantly- RA!!!! cheers  Welcome back! pub Its great to see you here again.

PETTY! cheers  Very Happy

Pettytyrant101 wrote:You hit on an issue I have always had with adapting this time period- its generational which makes it hard to adapt, not impossible, its been done before, but it throws up a lot of extra challenges when you have to invest the audiences with each new generation of characters. It like changing your entire principle cast every series. }}
I never really watched American Horror story but I guess it's popular with general audiences and they were able to switch most of their cast each season... Still there's isn't the issue of world building there or adhering to any source material (as far as I know...) It makes me wish that Merp never got shut down. I've seen this quote quite a bit the last few days looking into the Amazon show...
The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama.
People have been using that quote from Tolkien to justify studios coming and writing tons of fan-fiction to fill in whatever gaps they can think of. I just feel that quote being applied in this case is sort of disingenuous. Something silly like Merp, that mod for Skyrim years ago, that's something I could get behind. There would be an element of fanfiction to it no doubt. But that would be a way to 'explore' Middle Earth as it were.  The horizons that could never be seen, the vistas that can never be crossed. I think that would be better canvased by fans who have a genuine love for the mythos. Whether that's artists drawing cool depictions of scenes from the books, people making music about whatever, or even programmers/modders trying to make some render of parts of Middle Earth in Unity, I think at this point it would be better served in that way. At least this way if someone comes in writes or creates something horrible in Middle Earth, everyone else can ignore it easier... that doesn't become the definitive version of the story now. That's something I think I might try to do some time. Make some 3D environment of a part of Middle Earth or something.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:04 pm

this way if someone comes in writes or creates something horrible in Middle Earth, everyone else can ignore it easier... that doesn't become the definitive version of the story

A very good thought. I'm not much familiar with the Star Wars extended universe, but didn't much of that get set in stone in the minds of the fandom? I think even with the less studio/cultural-bully based creation, some of the better ideas do become entrenched.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:18 pm

halfwise wrote:
this way if someone comes in writes or creates something horrible in Middle Earth, everyone else can ignore it easier... that doesn't become the definitive version of the story

A very good thought.   I'm not much familiar with the Star Wars extended universe, but didn't much of that get set in stone in the minds of the fandom?  I think even with the less studio/cultural-bully based creation, some of the better ideas do become entrenched.
Maybe Star Wars is a bad example because there's been hundreds of different writers. And it's a mess now to work out what's canon since Disney took over. Personally I think the story in Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 is the best in Star Wars

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:38 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:27 pm

I SO wish everyone would stop calling this Amazon's Lord of the Rings series. It very specifically is NOT LotR. Banghead

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Anything new in this video? I've taken the stance of not watching these.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:28 pm

Nothing new.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:01 am

That guy was saying that Gandalf could be in the show during the second age because Gandalf is thousands of years old. Mad Mad

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next