Eldorion
halfwise
Ringdrotten
7 posters

Go down

Christmas songs! Empty Christmas songs!

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:49 pm

Post your favourites Smile

Been listening alot to The Killers' Christmas album, Don't Waste Your Wishes. A very different collection of Christmas songs, but I like it Smile Christmas in LA sort of hits home since I've been working on the other side of the country for three of the last four holidays, and will do do this year too.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBxvB1ne7L_b-ZN0RpWKXErjFn9qyeiaq

Christmas songs! Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Christmas songs! Empty Re: Christmas songs!

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:59 pm

The funny thing about christmas songs in America, is most of the 20th century ones were written by Jews! (either composer or lyricist)

White Christmas - Irving Berlin
Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting...) - Mel Torme
I'll be home for christmas - Walter Kent

etc, etc.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:35 am

A lot of Christmas music has been ruined for me by working in retail. I can't fucking stand a lot of the classic songs anymore after hearing them so many times on loop on the sound system at work. That said, Trans-Siberian Orchestra's variation on "Carol of the Bells" is really great.

There are a few vaguely Christmas-related songs from some of my favorite groups that I can still enjoy, but that probably don't meet the standard definition of Christmas music.

Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:39 am

"White Winter Hymnal" by Fleet Foxes, and the various covers that have been done by groups like Pentatonix, are nice. This little junior-high student (13-14) sang a cover of it a capella for my niece's high school choir recital this year.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:58 am

While I'm on the subject, I also kind of like this one.

It's by the Killers, and while it's pretty much just alright, I like how they have that bit at the beginning with Harry Dean Stanton. If you know much about him, you'll know that he does hold some rather nihilistic beliefs about his own life and is rather jaded about his film career. He's been in tv or movies since 1954, and is credited on his IMDB page for 198 projects as an Actor.

I'm not in the least attracted to that cynical school of thought, but it was interesting for me to hear that in this context after having watched this youtube short documentary about him:

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:28 pm

{{Talking Stanton, he is in Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me and the line, and his delivery of it right at the end of this scene, is one of my all time favourites in all of cinema! }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:14 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:While I'm on the subject, I also kind of like this one.

It's by the Killers, and while it's pretty much just alright, I like how they have that bit at the beginning with Harry Dean Stanton. If you know much about him, you'll know that he does hold some rather nihilistic beliefs about his own life and is rather jaded about his film career. He's been in tv or movies since 1954, and is credited on his IMDB page for 198 projects as an Actor.

That's the one I was talking about in the first post Smile The reason I discovered it is because it has a couple of references to Warren Zevon in it (one in the lyrics and one in the vid - the guy in the church has to be Warren). Anyway, while I'm not that cynical about life, it does very much appeal to me because of the mood/tone of the lyrics. I don't know why (and I have tried to understand it) but I am a fundamentally pessimistic person, so this kind of songs are usually easier to find in my playlists than White Christmas Laughing The rest of the album is great too, some great black humour in it at Santa's expense Laughing

Christmas songs! Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:05 pm

Well yeah, "Don't Shoot Me Santa" is one of my favourites of theirs. Smile

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:24 pm

Ive been listening to this album a lot lately Very Happy

Christmas songs! Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Christmas songs! Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:55 am

santa Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:17 pm

https://www.facebook.com/MrStevieRiks/videos/10154211909752057/

Christmas songs! Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Christmas songs! Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:24 pm

Background to this: the girl featured has been diagnosed as semi-autistic and ADD.  She wouldn't read in front of classmates at first, but music brought her out.  I love the contrast between her earnestness and the fidgeting of her backup choir of 10-year-olds.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down