I need a bit of help, yes I know. at Christmas.

5 posters

Go down

I need a bit of help, yes I know. at Christmas. Empty I need a bit of help, yes I know. at Christmas.

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Letters of Purpose? you know, those tricksy pesky pains of letters you have to send to try to pursuade someone on a committee to give you a place on a course? Well by all accounts its the most important part of the application process, great balls of fire! Mad I have written something, having discarded a version that tried to make me sound professional and super dooper. It just ended up sounding false and not very me. So I wrote another one with 'me' in it. I figure if they dont like 'me' then its no good going on the course, but on the other hand it is Oxford, so they expect a certain level of applicant. so i was wondering if anyone would read it before the 4th of January, thats the deadline. and tell me how rubbish it is? No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

I need a bit of help, yes I know. at Christmas. Empty Re: I need a bit of help, yes I know. at Christmas.

Post by Norc Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:22 pm

i should actually know this shit, but I don't. Shrugging
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

I need a bit of help, yes I know. at Christmas. Empty Re: I need a bit of help, yes I know. at Christmas.

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:30 pm

I'm afarid I'm no use either Mrs Figg- my Scotshobbit mentality forbads such letters as our thought procss immediately starts at "Oh, so yi think A'm gonnae beg dae yi?" and just gets more adversarial from there on in.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:50 pm

:facepalm: *groan*

btw does anyone know how to take a pdf document that doesnt let you copy it, and make it let you copy it. Extremely Crabbit
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:56 pm

I just knew I didnt have a snowballs chance in Cumberbunds undercrackers.

Banghead Extremely Crabbit
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:58 pm

I have some experience with this, and I think putting your own twist on it is good, so long as they can see some professional control backing it up. I do know that for college applications creativity counts SO MUCH MORE than sounding professional. Have some of both - you can pm me if you want me to read both versions.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Mrs Figg wrote: :facepalm: *groan*

btw does anyone know how to take a pdf document that doesnt let you copy it, and make it let you copy it. Extremely Crabbit

put it into it as a picture.. or idk.. i can copy pdf document, unless I scanned it.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I just knew I didnt have a snowballs chance in Cumberbunds undercrackers.

Banghead Extremely Crabbit

wee.. I have no idea what you mean about that but Cumberbunds undercrackers!! cheers cheers
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Mrs Figg wrote: I have written something, having discarded a version that tried to make me sound professional and super dooper. It just ended up sounding false and not very me. So I wrote another one with 'me' in it.

I'd say that's exactly right! More than anything, the reviewers are interested in seeing that there's a light in your eyes and something going on between your ears. Of course being able to express yourself civilly and professionally
(i.e. w/out the Moon ) is important too, but it means nothing without the first.

Trying to sound like somebody you're not, as in your first draft, isn't helpful. A reviewer will usually read that as a lack of confidence. Or worse, they'll decide you're a poseur. That takes the letter to the bottom of the pile.

I'm willing to look at it as well if you like, but I'm sure Halfy is better qualified at this kind of thing and can tell you what you're looking for.

Good luck! :carrot:
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:38 pm

cheers thanks guys. i appreciate it, and if its rubbish feel free to be honest.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down