Eldorion
David H
bungobaggins
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
16 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 10 Empty Re: Religous debates and questions [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:08 pm

how do they explain planets, the moon, the sun and the earth being obviously round as seen from space? what do they gain from insisting the planet is flat? Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 10 Empty Re: Religous debates and questions [2]

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:54 pm

I think what they gain is proud rebellion. It's as though the whole world loves the current Dr Who but you know it's shite and are proud to announce it. It if wasn't the flat earth they'd pick something else.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:58 pm

Yeah, this popped up in my friends feed just now, as if to illustrate your point:

spoilerish for latest Dr Who:

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:22 pm

a snide remark, one hopes?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:37 pm

Nope. They mean it. Was also thrilled about the previous season and wanted to find fanfic with 13/ Yaz.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:40 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:how do they explain planets, the moon, the sun and the earth being obviously round as seen from space? what do they gain Question from insisting the planet is flat? Rolling Eyes

For a lot of them is a religious thing. They think they bible says it is flat (I think a reference to the 4 corners or the world and the whole "firmament" keeping the heavens from flooding in or something .

Other people are just prone to conspiracy theories. They also tend to be anti-vaxxers and the like.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:28 pm

Lancebloke wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:how do they explain planets, the moon, the sun and the earth being obviously round as seen from space? what do they gain Question  from insisting the planet is flat? Rolling Eyes

For a lot of them is a religious thing. They think they bible says it is flat (I think a reference to the 4 corners or the world and the whole "firmament" keeping the heavens from flooding in or something .

Other people are just prone to conspiracy theories. They also tend to be anti-vaxxers and the like.

and Brexiteers..
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:21 am

So let's all just sit back and enjoy some good ole-fashioned preaching. No doubt everything he says is coming straight from the good book.

https://www.facebook.com/reagan.williams.35110/videos/893344371498157/?t=93

Word is that after this was posted he was yanked out of his position.

But I heard something not far from this maybe 10 years ago in a North Dakota wedding. It was my cousin, and we share 5 very progressive aunts. The pastor reaches the point in the ceremony where it's his lot to offer some well intentioned advice to the happy couple, and he starts going off on how the man is God's intended head of the household, and should be the protector of the wife, and don't be letting her carry her own suitcase...and on and on...and I turned around and saw five aunts with five little black clouds growing over their heads with faces like quiet thunder. How I wish I had a picture of that, it was worth the trip right there.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:57 pm

Well... having only listened to the first 30 seconds of the preacher I can confirm he is a dickhead.

Second, the irony of the Facebook lady referring to the "Truth of the Gospel" was not lost on me.

Third... she makes some good points and bad points. No, a woman should not need to hold herself to the standards of a man if she doesn't want to BUT she should understand that if she is not meeting his needs then the relationship will likely not work. This works equally the other way around.

Both men and women should be taught to be decent and respectful but should also be taught the realities of life. It not her fault if the man doesn't fancy her any more, but it isn't hers either.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:04 pm

"...it isn't his either."

People of both sexes tend to let themselves go in middle age, and should either accept the consequences or address it. I noticed our preacher man had a potbelly, and I think his wife, who is working hard to be in good shape for him, should give him some grief about it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:46 pm

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10