Eldorion
David H
bungobaggins
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
16 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 8 Empty Re: Religous debates and questions [2]

Post by chris63 Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:37 pm

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 8 16%2B-%2B1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 8 Empty Re: Religous debates and questions [2]

Post by Lancebloke Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:29 am

He is a clever one....

Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:16 am

Urgghhh... I think I saw this on FB and I got about as far into the video then as I did now. About 24 seconds or so. The stupidity hurts my brain, I can't dealt, it's just not worth it.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:57 am

It's quite the irony that he is suggesting everyone who subscribes to the evolution and big bang (and the others he didn't mention) theories are the stupid ones.

And that there are LOTS of people like this!!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:22 pm

Yep, and most them are over HERE. Mad

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:13 pm

{{{Best thing Britain ever did- packing all our religious nutters into ships and sending them to the other side of the world Twisted Evil (mind you I don't think anyone thought they'd actually survive! Mad )}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:59 pm

We still have plenty of them.

Has anyone ever watched Fern Brittain doing that programme about famous people's lives? She did one about Niger Benn recently (well, I saw it recently).

Towards the end she talked to him about how he finally found god. When she asked him she sounded like she thought this was the superior state of being and Nigel had joined the enlightened club.

So could have punched her if I was in the same room!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:46 pm

Lancebloke wrote:He is a clever one....

check out the brachycephalic forehead. nuf said.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:46 am

Laughing

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 8 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 8 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:58 am

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 8 14720384_1097218847064407_7518537022668554611_n

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:02 am

Looking at the cup as being half full - or was that a glass, never mind --- looking at the cup half full: war does thin out the population, and as most of the species is either Homo boobiensis or Homo ignoramus - or an ungodly cross breeding, which explains Trump supporters - it may be just as well. (Not ALL Trump supporters, mind. Very Happy )

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:11 pm

when super Volcano Vesuvius plodes, and it will, we might have a good bit of population thinning, I bet it happens before 2016 finishes.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:06 pm

Ooooooer, that gives me the willies pale Incredible things volcano's, & Tsunami's frighten me shitless !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:44 am

Argument against intelligent design... man flu!

Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:21 am

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 8 16%2B-%2B1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:29 am

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 8 17098389_1368556559850383_2591370057911638862_n

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Very Happy Well why would they ? they have the backing of Royalty.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:43 pm

Not here they don't.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Not sure what you are talking about halfy... but it seems churches over there have backing of the federal government and various state authorities too... much more power than royalty.

If that wasn't what was meant... ignore me!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Historically the Anglican church was an extension of royal power. It may not be exercised these days, but the Monarch is theoretically head of the church of England. The rulings of the general synod must be approved by parliament.

Here all churches are distinctly separate from government (by law) and have been from the beginning.

The government 'support' is in the form of tax-free status as befits a non-profit, has nothing to do with the religious orientation. We wouldn't say the government supports them - quite the opposite - it ignores them!

At least on paper. You wouldn't know from the way many conservatives behave. Mad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:45 am

It ignores individual churches, but not religion as a whole.

And everyone knows the monarchy has no real power in anything!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:24 pm

A rare article from the Federalist: intellectually wide ranging and rather fun.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/10/darwinianism-birthed-secularism-actually-favors-religiosity/

There's nothing new in here, but has an engaging way of pointing out atheists are the victim of their own Darwinism: religious folk tend to out-breed them.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:39 pm

Oh man, I'd almost forgotten that there are people who unironically claim that "scientism" is a religion. I've clearly been out of the religious-arguing loop for too long. Laughing

I don't think that most people, regardless of their religiosity or lack thereof, go through life worrying about how to improve their Darwinian fitness. Speaking anecdotally, I've seen no evidence in the online atheist circles I used to move in that social Darwinism was a common motivation for becoming an atheist (and for the record, I think there are plenty of atheists who are unable to articulate sound reasons for their unbelief). But regardless, the idea that Darwinian fitness is something worth trying to control on a societal level - ie, eugenics - has been pretty comprehensively debunked as well. I for one am very glad for the progress that has been made in the fields of disability rights, medical intervention for the severely ill, and equal opportunity for oppressed populations, and the implicit dismissal of all this really rubs me the wrong way. So I disagree with this guy's most basic premises, but you know me and I couldn't resist digging deeper.

A central claim of our friend at The Federalist is that most children of religious people will stay religious, but his evidence for this is pretty shaky. He points to Hispanic Catholics in the US as an example, despite the fact that the Hispanic population is rapidly becoming less Catholic (source). He also links to a Pew piece that claims there is little evidence that religiosity declines with economic development, in part because "in Hindu-majority India, religious affiliation is still nearly universal despite rapid economic and social change". This is a strawman since India's history of substantial economic growth is less than 30 years old and the only industrialized countries that saw major declines in religiosity that fast were Communist dictatorships (many of which have become more religious since the fall of Communism since being forced to give up your religion is a different phenomenon than the observable trend in many Western liberal democracies).
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Maybe I didn't read it close enough, but I saw him as saying simply that atheists are more likely to believe in Darwinism, but ironically Darwinist principles seem to favor the religious who tend not to believe in it. Shrugging

Scientism may not be a religion, but I think the author more accurately meant 'mindset'. You can see that in that hedonism is included in the same list.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:04 pm

The conflation of the belief that Darwinian evolution is how nature works with Social Darwinism (the idea that humans should consider reproductive fitness a moral good) is a classic canard of the anti-science religious right, as well as textbook example of the appeal to nature fallacy.

halfwise wrote:Scientism may not be a religion, but I think the author more accurately meant 'mindset'.  You can see that in that hedonism is included in the same list.

Read up on the religious right, man (or don't, it can be kinda painful); the idea that science is literally a religion like any other is a very common one in certain circles. EDIT: the same accusation is leveled at various philosophical ideas as well, including humanism and (less commonly, but relevant here), hedonism (link).

EDIT 2: I dunno how common the phrase "religious right" is outside of the US so in the interest of clarity I would like to stress that I am not referring to all political conservatives who happen to be religious or to all members of theologically conservative religious denominations. The American religious right has only really existed in its current form since the 1970s. Politico had a good piece about the movement's origins a few years ago that can be read >here<.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next