halfwise
Eldorion
Orwell
12 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

All New Who - Page 15 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by Amarië Wed May 25, 2016 5:25 pm

5 and 6 done. The vikings.... er.... umm... had a nice looking village. I liked Ashildr, though I am fairly sure it should be pronounced As-hildr, which would be Åshild today. Very wise to choose such a good actor for the part.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 25, 2016 5:33 pm

'The vikings.... er.... umm... had a nice looking village.'- Amarie

{{Are you worried about the horns on the helmets?- thats historically inaccurate but correct to Who lore, it all goes back to the first appearance of Vikings in the show, in the first Doctor story the Time Meddler (where ironically, as part of the BBC writ to 'educate and inform' the Viking information as the best of the time, horns on helmets included!) }}

{{{I rather liked the idea the bad guys take all the warriors right at the start, leaving only all the vikings who don't go off to war and raiding. Worth for the Doctor giving them all names scene Laughing

The villain in that episode was originally supposed to be, and the part written for Brian Blessed, sadly he was ill at the time of filming}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed May 25, 2016 5:43 pm

I know horned helmets are Who lore, I actually saw that episode. Wink

"vikings who don't go off to war and raiding"
...they aren't actually vikings, and that bothered me far more.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 25, 2016 5:48 pm

{{{{Not sure I follow- do you mean the characters or the casting?}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed May 25, 2016 6:22 pm

I mean the meaning of the word Viking. It's the people going by sea to fight and raide who were called vikings.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 25, 2016 6:48 pm

{{{Ah- must be a glitch in the TARDIS translation matrix Very Happy }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed May 25, 2016 8:52 pm

*snaps fingers* That's got to be it. Nod

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri May 27, 2016 11:02 pm

Some interesting comments on Who, from Terry Pratchett, no less.

"On planet Earth it's generally taken for granted that it's a bad thing to introduce into a narrative some last-minute solution that was totally unexpected and unheralded ... The unexpected, unadvertised solution which kisses it all better is known as a deus ex machina – literally, a god from the machine. And a god from the machine is what the Doctor now is," said Pratchett, a fan of the show since his school days. "A decent detective story provides you with enough tantalising information to allow you to make a stab at a solution before the famous detective struts his stuff in the library. Doctor Who replaces this with speed, fast talking, and what appears to be that wonderful element 'makeitupasyougalongeum'. I don't know about you, but I don't think I would dare try to jump-start a spaceship that looks like the Titanic by diving it into the atmosphere."

The bestselling fantasy author, who has written 37 Discworld books since 1983 and was appointed OBE in 1998, is also disgruntled about fans who describe Doctor Who as science fiction. "Much has been written about the plausibility or otherwise of the Star Trek universe, but it is possible to imagine at least some of the concepts becoming real. But the sonic screwdriver? I don't think so. Doctor Who's science is pixel thin. I'm sorry about this, but I just don't think that you can instantly transport a whole hospital onto the moon without all of the windows blowing out. Oh! You use a force field, do you?! And there's the trouble; one sentence makes it all OK," he wrote. "I just wish that it was not classified as science fiction."

Recent incarnations of the Doctor, meanwhile, have built him up "into an amalgam of Mother Teresa, Jesus Christ (I laughed my socks off during the Titanic episode when two golden angels lifted the Doctor heavenwards) and Tinkerbell," said Pratchett. "There is nothing he doesn't know, and nothing he can't do. He is now becoming God, given that the position is vacant ... Perhaps they should start transmitting the programme on Sundays."
https://www.theguardian.com/books/tvandradioblog/2010/may/04/terry-pratchett-ludicrous-doctor-who

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 28, 2016 6:26 am

{{{I largely agree with him- when he wrote it which was the RTD years -he missed out my personal favourite/most hated God moment when the Doctor rises up and flies through the air in the crucifixion pose to smite down the Master, borne up on the multitudes below on Earth praying and chanting his name. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat May 28, 2016 2:09 pm

Its a good job he never saw the Moffat years then isn't it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 28, 2016 2:54 pm

{{He would have done he didn't die till 2015- he just didn't complain about it either in-between.
And his main accusations, love or loathe Moffat hardly apply to Moffats style- 'A decent detective story provides you with enough tantalising information to allow you to make a stab at a solution before the famous detective struts his stuff'- Moffat is renowned for putting al the clues in so the viewer can work it out, and then being expert at distracting the viewer so they dont notice them till after the reveal and get a 'duh! Of course! How didn't I see that?!' moment. His Who and Sherlock are built on that sort of narrative structure.}}}

And as to a God Doctor who is perfect and knows everything- we just watched an entire series all about the Doctors fallibiltiy}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat May 28, 2016 5:33 pm

He probably didn't comment because it bored him.

och noooo! I used the M word! shitishitshitshitshit!!!!! Mad silent No Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 28, 2016 9:28 pm

{{{{ Twisted Evil }}

{{liked this- safe to watch so long as youve seen up to the dalek two parter at start of series 9}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat May 28, 2016 9:47 pm

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/steven-moffat-reveals-pearl-mackie-to-debut-in-2017-her-name-and-when-s-she-s-from

“She’s from now, yeah. I know there are rumours about her being from the 1980s, but she isn’t. She’s just wearing what young people are wearing now.

Another modern day companion, how original Rolling Eyes

“Bill is someone who asks the questions that nobody has asked for 53 years.

So...how do Daleks use the toilet and build their ships with plungers for tools?

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/doctor-who-season-10-going-back-to-one-parters-mostly

I’m just getting down to writing the first episode. I’ll probably write the final three episodes, too. And we’ve got some very strong scripts in from other writers.”

Hmm...three parter finale maybe?

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 28, 2016 9:58 pm

{{Disappointed she is contemporary again. Three part finale is interesting- instinct is to say regen story, but then last series was a three part finale and it wasn't.
More interesting to me is what he says about the new writers and the format-

"Two-parters worked brilliantly last year, but somehow, with the new companion, you want the simpler version of the show.
By last year, the Doctor and Clara had been there for so long, it was a complicated relationship by then, so we needed the bigger stories. Next year we will have some two-parters, but it will be back to one-parters mostly.”

I can see the sense in that.

“…we’ve had meetings today with two writers who’ve never written Doctor Who before. If I told you their names, your brain would explode … brilliant, prominent and amazing writers.”

Let the speculation begin!

But Moffat has garnered an impressive list of writers to Who in his time so far-

Jamie Mathieson , Catherine Tregenna, Sarah Dollard, Peter Harness, Neil Cross, Toby Whithouse, Neil Gaiman, Gareth Roberts, Tom Macrae, Mark Gatiss, Neil Cross, Frank Cottrel Boyce, Simon Nye, Chris Chibnal and Richard Curtis.

Thats a mix of the best of the up and coming crop of Uk tv writers, and some of the biggest names in established tv show writing.

And he has done the same when it comes to directors- a mix of up and coming talent and established pros.

The standard of writer and director he has attracted to the show is something he doesn't get enough credit for in my view. Especially working in the circumstances of an ever dwindling budget. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat May 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Armando Iannucci expressed interest in writing for Capaldi's Doc, and I think that PJ video from a few months back was confirmation that he's involved in some capacity, as far as I know he's only ever directed scripts he's written/co-written.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 28, 2016 10:07 pm

{{{That would be great- I'm already a big fan of his- currently watching the latest series of Veep- Charlie Brooker would be my other wish to get onboard the TARDIS writing crew. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat May 28, 2016 11:56 pm

“…we’ve had meetings today with two writers who’ve never written Doctor Who before. If I told you their names, your brain would explode … brilliant, prominent and amazing writers.”

So he finally got Fran Walsh on board. Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 29, 2016 1:04 am

{{{ Shocked I hope not Mad - though we may see the long touted PJ directed episode- maybe Moffat will give him the three part finale! }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 29, 2016 1:49 pm

I have been trying to think of which writers would 'make my head explode' and the only people who really would is if he got Rowling or Martin to write episodes. But he probably means Mark Gatiss. Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 30, 2016 2:33 pm

just been thinking about this recent 'trigger warnings' thingie and what a load of politically correct bullshit it is. I read the other day that the Oxford union debating society had a trigger warning for the word 'Hitler' or 'Muslim' or something equally ridiculous. Its turning young people into namby pamby idiots. As if the very mention of Hitler is going to make some sozzled rugby playing fresher have the vapours. mind you we definitely need one for the M word. Wink
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 30, 2016 3:42 pm

Michelle Gomez has confirmed Missy is back in Series 10, not surprising but still... cheers

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 30, 2016 7:11 pm

he got Rowling or Martin- Figg

{{ Can't say I'd be all that excited by either- Rowling I don't rate very highly as a writer, so much as a rearranger of ideas- though that can work in Who its done plenty of it in the past- still won't excite me at the prospect though- and Martin just because I don't know his writing to get excited by it- and all I do know is second hand via GoT and that didn't impress me.}}}

Michelle Gomez has confirmed Missy is back in Series 10- Malick

{{ cheers I hoped this would be case and that Moffat would use Missy to 12 as the Master was to 3 back in the day- seems fitting for Capaldi era. Nod I hope we see just them spend some time together however. Something like what we got in terms of character with the Doctor and Davros. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon May 30, 2016 9:07 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:he got Rowling or Martin- Figg

{{ Can't say I'd be all that excited by either- Rowling I don't rate very highly as a writer, so much as a rearranger of ideas- though that can work in Who its done plenty of it in the past- still won't excite me at the prospect though- and Martin just because I don't know his writing to get excited by it- and all I do know is second hand via GoT and that didn't impress me.}}}

Try this (It's pretty short.) Smile

https://forwearemany.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/sandkings.pdf

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 30, 2016 9:12 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I have been trying to think of which writers would 'make my head explode' and the only people who really would is if he got Rowling or Martin to write episodes. But he probably means Mark Gatiss. Rolling Eyes

That actually could have happened, RTD tried very hard to get her involved:

http://www.warpedfactor.com/2014/10/when-doctor-who-almost-met-jk-rowlings.html

(personally I think we dodged a bullet on that one)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum