Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films?

+12
Elthir
Orwell
Bluebottle
David H
Eldorion
dak
Forest Shepherd
Mrs Figg
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
davidjoneshoward
16 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films? - Page 3 Empty Re: Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films?

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:20 pm

halfwise wrote:

3. Ringworld

Loved ringworld  Nod

Are the sequels worth reading?

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films? - Page 3 Empty Re: Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films?

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:42 pm

while I admire Ursula I have to take issue with what she said about quiet moments in LOTR. she obviously forgot Gandalf sitting alone in Minas Tirith, Sam and Frodo watching Elves leave Middle Earth, golden flowers on a stone crown. There is a lot of action too, but there are also a lot of battles in the book. what were they supposed to do? not show them.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:47 pm

malickfan wrote:
halfwise wrote:

3. Ringworld

Loved ringworld  Nod

Are the sequels worth reading?

The beauty of Ringworld is the introduction of the cultures of puppeteers and Kzin, and of course the introduction of the ringworld itself. With all the introductions over, the sequels fall kind of flat.

If you liked Ringworld, try Neutron Star (collection of loosely linked short stories) and the Draco Tavern.

In my list I should also have mention the Polysotechnic League stories by Poul Anderson (Trader to the Stars, etc).

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:56 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:while I admire Ursula I have to take issue with what she said about quiet moments in LOTR. she obviously forgot Gandalf sitting alone in Minas Tirith, Sam and Frodo watching Elves leave Middle Earth, golden flowers on a stone crown. There is a lot of action too, but there are also a lot of battles in the book. what were they supposed to do? not show them.

Agreed, I think those are all good examples of the LOTR films' more relaxed, contemplative side. And while that side is not as prominent as in the books, I think that's one of those inevitable changes that gets made in movies, even movies as long as the Trilogy.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:34 pm

er I didn't know John Howe had done a documentary about Tolkien. I just watched it, the original seems to be in French, I saw it in Italian, this is all I could find at short notice. have any of you guys seem it? its fantastic! Razz  its called Looking for the Hobbit. I love you Razz

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:40 pm

part 2
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:41 pm

part 3
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:42 pm

part 4
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:43 pm

part 5
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Oh excellent! In the time I went searching for links (none worked) you found it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:48 pm

Not so excellent. Sad in one of those wacky languages. I shall have to keep searching for an english version.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:49 am

cant find it in English Mad although it says it was dubbed in English. Extremely Crabbit
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:59 am

halfwise wrote:
Edit: I remember Wind in the Willows fondly, but don't own a copy so can't refresh my judgement.  I shall have to correct that.  If non-fiction is included my list would explode, but Thor Heyerdahl's Aku-Aku is up there, perhaps for many of the reasons that cause archaeologists to scoff at it.
I thought you meant to put in Kon-Tiki here instead, and was pleasantly surprised to find out about this Aku-Aku story.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:34 am

It's far more mysterious, being about Easter Island.  Though the history he constructs for Easter Island is not accepted, it's makes for a very compelling read.  Not as claustrophic as a raft.  Mesmerizing in fact.

I also have to say the Ra expeditions is also more interesting than Kon-Tiki. Connecting Egyption culture to Mexico and the Andes. Again, archaeologists roll their eyes, but it's a damn good read spanning two continents and an ocean.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:02 am

halfwise wrote:Not so excellent. Sad   in one of those wacky languages.  I shall have to keep searching for an english version.

It sounds like an interesting docu. I tried using YouTube's subtitle translation feature but it worked about as well as regular Google Translate. :/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:48 am

Go figure. :facepalm:

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:26 pm

its a shame because its a lovely documentary. Sad  but its worth it just for the atmosphere even if you don't speak Franglaise.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:07 pm

Eldorion wrote:I hope high school goes well for you, david!  Glad to see you posting here, btw.  I was 14 when I joined here too but it's been too long since we've had an active teenage member.  Too many have either left or grown up (if only reluctantly). Razz

Thank you for the support Very Happy ! You may think because of my age I'm a sophomore, but I have a very late birthday, so I'm going into my first year of hs, which is extra nerve racking! I think I'll manage though, but probably with staying up a lot more than usual  Sleep . What do you mean when you say you starting here when you were 14, as I believe it was created in 2011 (making you 17 at the time from looking at your birthday)?

Last edited by davidjoneshoward on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:27 pm

I'll field that one: Forumshire had a previous incarnation before what is known as Dark Planet Day when it was sold as part of a bundle to another company.  Eldo led the charge to regroup and founded a new independent site, after which a fishing expedition over the next year or so retrieved most of the old members.  Quite a technical accomplishment for a 17 year old!

We refer to the old site as Bree, which after the change-over gained a number of new posters and a rather different feel, though it still had a closer affinity in tone to Forumshire than most Tolkien sites. Largely through the recruiting efforts of Petty Tyrant we managed to abscond with many of the more wacked-out Breelanders. And here we are today.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:03 pm

I think I am one of those wacked out Breelanders Shocked

that seems to intensify the nearer I get to the Who thread. it starts buzzing like a geiger counter
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Halfy touched on the basics of what happened with the forum (this being version 2), though I was actually 16 at the time since Dark Planet Day occurred in February and my birthday isn't until August. Razz If you're interested in a somewhat lengthy account of the forum's origins I wrote a history of it here:

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t847-forumshire-the-first-five-years

And Petty has a fictionalized account here:

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t336-dark-planet-day-challenge-forumshire-fanfic
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Largely through the recruiting efforts of Petty Tyrant we managed to abscond with many of the more wacked-out Breelanders.- Halfy

'think I am one of those wacked out Breelanders'- Figg

Does that mean I absconded from Bree with Figg! Shocked

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 pm

Well its Figgs fault you are lumbered with me at least Razz Laughing

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:41 pm

cheers yep Kissing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:58 pm

Aww, I like you guys. Smile

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next