Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films?

+12
Elthir
Orwell
Bluebottle
David H
Eldorion
dak
Forest Shepherd
Mrs Figg
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
davidjoneshoward
16 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films? - Page 5 Empty Re: Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films?

Post by Radaghast Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Very Happy

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films? - Page 5 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films? - Page 5 Empty Re: Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films?

Post by RA Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:46 am

Honestly I think there were two main problems with the Hobbit films - barring the director - that were never going to be overcome to make the Hobbit mesh tonally with Lord of the Rings that is that, the films were treated as prequels instead of preludes, and that the scope and scale of the Hobbit is far more humble than the Lord of Rings.

Then we get into all the other problems with the action hero dwarves and ringwraith tombs, and the bunny sleds, blegh Very Happy

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:47 am

But basically, I think that if the Hobbit could've been changed to make it more in line with the trilogy, then it wouldn't be the story I fell in love with anymore.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:36 am

Recoveryanonymous wrote:But basically, I think that if the Hobbit could've been changed to make it more in line with the trilogy, then it wouldn't be the story I fell in love with anymore.

Completely agreed. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:47 am

RA wrote:Honestly I think there were two main problems with the Hobbit films

Shocked

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:42 pm

There...uh...there were problems with the Hobbit films? Shocked

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:07 pm

halfwise wrote:There...uh...there were problems with the Hobbit films? Shocked

I thought they were hillarious myself...they were comedies right? Suspect Trollface

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:22 pm

I actually thought for a second in the movie theatre that legolas jumping up the falling bricks mid air was supposed to be a parody of itself.
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:44 pm

I like the way RA pops in when you least expect & then, .........disappears Suspect Nod
Come to think of it, RA is right ! Preludes not prequels Rolling Eyes
Hello little dude Wave

Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films? - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films? - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:04 pm

I caught the tail end of BOT5A the other night. ((( just by chance No )))) and it was the part where Bilbo leaves Gandalf in the Shire. couldn't believe the neon dayglo effects, that green was phosphorescent (however you spell it) it was hideous. Mad it was like they cranked up the saturation and the HD to the max.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:06 pm

I thought the color problem largely went away after AUJ so I'm curious to see how I'll find it when I watch BOFA-EE. After much deliberation I decided I probably will go see it in theatres during the one-night event since it might be my last chance ever to see Middle-earth on the big screen (the whole saying goodbye to the franchise thing has weighed on my mind lately) and so I can see the final version sooner than if I was waiting for digital download or Blu-ray.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:34 pm

RA! cheers I completely agree, the fundamental stating issue form which all else thats shit in the films (most of whats on screen) stems form this error of judgement. TH is not LotR's, its not meant to be, and though the author could have, and did try to make it like LotR's he gave up for the very good reason it might be more like LotR's but it was no longer TH.
The same end result we get form PJ- right name, wrong everything else.

But that said there is no excuse for Pj not settling on one tone or another- he tries to have both, kids book and mighty epic all at once, and the tonal result on the films is ruinous.

He needs to stop making films for a bit and go back to watching Doctor Who to learn how to appeal to kids and adults at once in the same story. Nod (unless the child or adult is called Figg, obviously)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:52 pm

""He needs to stop making films for a bit and go back to watching Doctor Who to learn how to appeal to kids and adults at once in the same story. Nod (unless the child or adult is called Figg, obviously)""

Ooer, thats challenging silent

Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films? - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films? - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:50 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
He needs to stop making films for a bit and go back to watching Doctor Who to learn how to appeal to kids and adults at once in the same story. Nod  (unless the child or adult is called Figg, obviously)

Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films? - Page 5 Imageslhhkgkfk_zps4tpokvfn
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:07 pm

I try my best, just for you dear Figg Kissing

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:45 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:

He needs to stop making films for a bit and go back to watching Doctor Who to learn how to appeal to kids and adults at once in the same story. Nod  (unless the child or adult is called Figg, obviously)

Does that mean you are onboard with the idea of Jackson directing an episode?

I don't think The Hobbit was aimed at children or Adults, most of the audience when I watched them were teenagers...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:52 pm

The snot gag stuff was aimed at teenagers?! Shocked

As to Jackson directing Who I think I am ok with that on the single provision he has absolutely input into anything else other than the direction. not a single word, not a single shot not scripted for and storyboarded.
Jackson is a talented director, its everything else he is shit at.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:56 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
Jackson is a talented director, its everything else he is shit at.

He's great at casting and choreographing action sequences, and although I have issues with have he writes characters, he generally gets very good performances out of his cast Nod As for writing an episode of Who I doubt any his ideas would be as shit as 'The Moon's an Egg!' or the magic dissapearing tree episode from last year...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:02 pm

Ill give you the tree one, much as I liked the character beats and that it was certainly trying different things conceptually- but I will defend the egg one- its one of my favourite episodes of series 8.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:21 am

the egg one was the poorest of season 8.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:35 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Jackson is a talented director, its everything else he is shit at.
Can't say I agree. I dislike his very style of directing.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Could Tolkien Have Fixed The Hobbit Films? - Page 5 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 30, 2016 7:38 pm

I organized some of my thoughts on the Appendices and the 1960 rewrite as they relate (or don't relate) to PJ's Hobbit trilogy and thought I'd share them here. All stuff we've talked about before but I've found it can be handy to have it all gathered in one place.

http://nolondil.tumblr.com/post/145144619436/answerer-did-tolkien-want-to-make-the-hobbit-more
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 30, 2016 7:56 pm

Eldorion wrote:I organized some of my thoughts on the Appendices and the 1960 rewrite as they relate (or don't relate) to PJ's Hobbit trilogy and thought I'd share them here. All stuff we've talked about before but I've found it can be handy to have it all gathered in one place.

http://nolondil.tumblr.com/post/145144619436/answerer-did-tolkien-want-to-make-the-hobbit-more

Read and agreed with all of that Eldo, great summary.

(I wonder if The Dragon Sickness subplot was in anyway inspired by Tolkien's poem 'The Hoard'?)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 30, 2016 8:01 pm

Thanks Malick. Very Happy

I think the dragon sickness thing is more likely an overly-literal reading of the reference(s?) to it in The Hobbit.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next