bungobaggins
chris63
Bluebottle
Eldorion
David H
13 posters

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:26 pm

by all accounts there are unique mosquitos to the London Tube. they have evolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_mosquito
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2]

Post by halfwise Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Not surprised. The rats in the new york subways are the size of house cats. Can't tell me they haven't speciated.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:34 pm

Bridges blow me away, the sheer size & scale is powerful. I cant imagine how they were ever completed. I just find them amazing.......

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Florida%20bridge_zpsfrhy8p0p

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 French-Bridge_zpsvwrcikws

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Jaiozhou%20bridge..china_zpsbcyecrho

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Mackinac%20bridge%20michigan_zpsb4axnyc8

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Millau%20viaduct%20south%20france_zpssgkoftp9

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Millau-Bridge-France-itthing.com__zpskoikvcp3

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Scary-bridge10_small_zpsvcsbaftl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:42 pm

Is that the same bridge 3 times, or just the same design?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:46 pm

I think 2 bridges are the same Embarassed but, its soooooo wow !

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Imgoresund-bridge_zpstlo5kbrt

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 286b91b0-5182-4341-a0c7-ad5a63849452_danyang-kunshan-grand-bridge-the-most-beautiful-bridge-in-the-world-4_zpswma1rhrf

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 878418-oddity-1430375011-450-640x480_zpsjelkiro2

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:39 pm

Love bridges, and those are some fantastic pictures. Nod A couple of them look similar to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, which is not that far from where I am and that I'd love to drive across, though I haven't yet as I've never had a reason to go to Hampton Roads.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 OHFoiFRh
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:56 am

My gawd Eldo ! That bridge makes me shudder, its like an adrenalin boost, You hate it & love it at the same time...like Marmite Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:53 pm

I know about the Bay Bridge, but where's the bridge/tunnel?  Never heard of it before.

Edit: oh, looked it up. Norfolk. No, there's no reason to go there. That's where sailors go to get bored silly.

Last edited by halfwise on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:54 pm

azriel wrote:I think 2 bridges are the same Embarassed  but, its soooooo wow !

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Imgoresund-bridge_zpstlo5kbrt

I can't believe that berm is high enough to keep it from flooding if a wind storm whips up the waves.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:40 pm

halfwise wrote:I know about the Bay Bridge, but where's the bridge/tunnel?  Never heard of it before.

Edit: oh, looked it up.  Norfolk.   No, there's no reason to go there.  That's where sailors go to get bored silly.

Well yeah, like I said, I've never had a reason to go to the Norfolk/Hampton Roads area. Razz

The Bay Bridge itself is pretty cool too, don't get me wrong, but I've never been across a bridge-tunnel before.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:52 pm

Halfy..."
I can't believe that berm is high enough to keep it from flooding if a wind storm whips up the waves"......

No No pale pale Now I really am shitting a brick !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:23 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Mind-Blowing%2BArt%2BProject%2BYou%2BHave%2Bto%2BSee%2Bin%2BMotion

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:09 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Basilica%20cister%20istanbul.used%20to%20store%20water%20now%20tourist%20attraction_zpskrcshe5o

Basilica cistern, Istanbul. Used to store water, is now a tourist attraction.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Catacombs%20of%20parisremains%20of%206milliontop%20tourist%20trap_zpssuemgma0

Catacombs underneath Paris, contain 6million deceased people.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Kasukabesaitama%20japan.extends%206.3%20km%2050%20m%20below%20ground%20holds%20flood%20water_zpsmjt1yr3b

Kasukabe, Saitama, Japan. Holds flood water even today, yet you can have a look round if you like !

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Mammoth%20cave%20national%20parkkentucky%2010million%20yrs%20old643.7km%20long%20most%20extensive%20cave%20system%20in%20the%20world_zps923n4yid

Mammoth Cave, National Park, Kentucky. Said to be the most extensive cave system in the world

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Turda%20salt%20mine%20romanianow%20a%20museum%20recreation%20center%20wiv%20bowlingmini%20golf%20corsferris%20wheel%20amp%20lake_zpsnsjm9gqg

(rather an unfortunate name but, hey ho ) Turda Salt mines, now with an underground lake, mini golf course, ferris wheel & museum, All under ground.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:42 pm

Volcán de Colima Eruption

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Volcan-de-colima-erupcion

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:15 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Fcc41e07-70c6-45d8-869d-2d9f6e51f58a

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:25 am

chris63 wrote:Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Mind-Blowing%2BArt%2BProject%2BYou%2BHave%2Bto%2BSee%2Bin%2BMotion

I imagine that to play a little tune, like a musical box, its addictive to look at !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:28 am

chris63 wrote:Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Fcc41e07-70c6-45d8-869d-2d9f6e51f58a

Wow !! thats a bit gobsmackie Smile What is the magnification on that ? Just how do they make hypodermic syringes ??

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:22 am

Riddle me this?
If molten iron is amorphous (no crystal structure) and magnetic domains cannot align to give ferromagnetic behavior... Then how does Earths molten nickle-Iron core create a magnetic field?? hmmm?
No Dynamo affect could be achieved..

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 O-WHAT-IS-INSIDE-EARTH-facebook

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:40 am

Aliens..... alien

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:09 am

{{{A giant hamster on a wheel right at the centre Nod }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:50 am

Laughing yes !!

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:48 am

The magnetic field is not caused by alignment of magnetic domains, it's caused by circulating electric current in the liquid core. Usually such a current needs a changing magnetic field to sustain itself, but the rotation of the earth helps keep the current going even when the magnetic field is roughly constant.

If you spin most things, you don't get a magnetic field because positive and negative charges are doing the same thing and cancel out. But if you had a current induced by a magnetic field from the surrounding space (solar magnetic field) then the rotation can keep it going.

It's not an obvious theory by any means, and in fact a model that seems to produce something that looks like the earth's field was only published in 1995.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:32 pm

I knew that Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:35 pm

Seriously, I always assume you will be able to answer all the scientific posts, You & Dave, he's not backward at coming forward Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun May 08, 2016 5:01 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_o6m09rbs4S1t5fphqo1_540Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_o6m09rbs4S1t5fphqo2_540

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 8 Tumblr_o6m09rbs4S1t5fphqo3_540

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next