bungobaggins
chris63
Bluebottle
Eldorion
David H
13 posters

Page 7 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2]

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:35 am

Yeah, China's growth is on some crazy accelerated shit.  We still talk about Mao and his legacy in the West, but I don't think we fully appreciate the importance of Deng Xiaoping and the reforms that he brought.  There aren't a ton of parallels to a country going through that kind of change/modernization so rapidly.  Meiji-era Japan comes to mind I guess but without as much aggressive militarism, even keeping in mind the recent island disputes.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2]

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:56 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:Here's what must be the downtown stretch of Shenzhen, China. First image is 1990, the second is 2010. 

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 Urban-development-shanghai

Actually, what you are seeing there is the new and old financial centers of Shanghai. The old one on the near bank, and the new one on the far. That's the main reason for the extreme difference, which you probably won't see replicated too many other places in China, but I guess it's still illustrative. Just know this is the extreme example of the construction boom. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:00 am

The Bund, old financial centre, looking the other way.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 The_Bund_of_Shanghai

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:04 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 Meissner-effect

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:18 am

Eldorion wrote:Yeah, China's growth is on some crazy accelerated shit.  We still talk about Mao and his legacy in the West, but I don't think we fully appreciate the importance of Deng Xiaoping and the reforms that he brought.  There aren't a ton of parallels to a country going through that kind of change/modernization so rapidly.  Meiji-era Japan comes to mind I guess but without as much aggressive militarism, even keeping in mind the recent island disputes.

I was lucky enough to spend 3 weeks travelling China just as Deng's reforms were kicking in. The old China was still there, and I'm glad I saw it, because what I saw 20 years later was unrecognizable. I think the the reforms were great on a grassroots level, and people were clearly very excited and felt economically liberated; but the explosion of buildings and the rush to the cities I don't think has been good for China. Beijing has little pockets of charm surrounded by sky scrapers and wrapped in smog. I want the old China back. Sad

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:27 am

The centenary of the Battle of Verdun begins today. The battle would last for nearly 10 months, kill over 300,000 French and German troops, and wound perhaps 700,000 more. It was the bloodiest battle in world history at the time, and would remain so until the Second World War (specifically the Eastern Front and the Second Sino-Japanese War). No other conflict since has produced a battle that nears its toll, and the majority of wars both today and throughout history have had vastly lower death tolls.

There is a reason for this. The top German general at the time, Erich von Falkenhayn, designed and launched the attack with the stated aim of "bleed[ing] France white". Verdun was one of the most heavily fortified points along the Western Front, but for both strategic reasons and national pride, the French commanders could not allow it to fall. Falkenhayn knew this, and so he resolved to continue the attack for as long as necessary, not to capture the citadel, but to kill as many French soldiers as he could, ultimately sapping the strength of the entire French Army.

It didn't work, of course. French counter-offensives recaptured much of the area surrounding Verdun and the battle ended in December. The French Army continued to fight for another two years. There were widespread mutinies several months later, after a failed French offensive in early 1917, at which point the war had killed about 5% of the male population of France (of all ages), but this was put down by a combination of reforms and executions of the leaders. Eventually, the Allied Powers drove Germany out of France and forced a surrender. World War I is often considered to be the unnecessary war, a mistake, and there is certainly plenty of blame to go around for the militaristic culture of pre-war Europe and the chain of events that started the war, but Germany's conduct during it, especially the gobbling up of other countries and its descent into military dictatorship, demonstrates the importance of stopping their attempt at conquest and hegemony. Those who fought and died to do so deserve our gratitude today, even though the strategies employed in that effort were horrifying and often senseless.

Today, much of the region where the battle was fought, especially around the former village of Douaumount, is strictly closed to the public, as the amount of unexploded ordnance, chemical contamination, and human and animal remains mean that the area is considered unfit for human habitation. The places that were never rebuilt are considered to be "villages morts pour la France" -- villages that died for France. In some areas, the level of arsenic in the soil kills 99% of all plant and animal life. The topography of the area was permanently changed by the amount of artillery fire, resulting in a distinctive "wavy" landscape of small hills and divets. It is estimated that at current rates, the affected areas may be cleared of munitions in another 700 years. The chemical contamination could remain problematic for another 10,000. There are numerous other areas like this scattered along the former Western Front.

Photographs then...:

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 SCRQjfD

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 CygJxgj

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 N94HoXu

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 GbOR85o

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 12UZgTH

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 WLfKSl2

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 0VHuqFG

... and now (source):

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 IAMGxhnl
"Douaumont: Destroyed Village"

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 RoD2pjil

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 ALSChs4l

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 YAHjp83l
This place was flat once.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 01C0HzBl
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:11 am

The 2nd WW is heartbreaking. When you know those lads & lads they were, 16yrs & up, were out there, freezing cold, wet & often iLL only to be shot at or blown up the second they raised an eyebrow then it hurts Sad  My kids have never known a war or been forced to fight in one, thank god !! and neither have I. But, as I get older & watch my son & daughters grow, my grandkids grow, then seeing these sad pictures hits home. I cant forget how young some of them were or the poor mums & dads breaking their hearts & nerves hoping their "Jack or John" is still alive & will come home Sad Look how they had to live !! in cold mud ? I moan my arse off if its raining. The same wet muddy cold clothes day in day out. Its more than grim Sad

Interesting about the chemicals & artillery tho ! Even all these years later the war, in a way, is still going on.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:48 am

War is a strange beast. It makes people bond stronger than they thought possible, while destroying other bonds that people thought would last longer. Having been in the armed forces during conflicts and not being sent to them is a very weird sensation. There is no other job or career on this planet that you simply don't know if you are any good at it or if your training is any good or if any of your equipment will really work, until you go to war. No sane person wants to go to war or kill people during one. However, coming back from exercise in Canada and finding the entire regiments tanks stripped down by wartime REME spares team, is very much a "What? We're not good enough?" moment.

On a lighter note, there are several stories I could recite that would make you wonder...

Like Trooper King and Co. Who thought it would be a grand idea to play frisbie with some decommissioned mines.
Bang.
3 weeks in a med centre.. bunch o fannies.

To be fair, he also got lost on an Autobaan, so went AWOL for a weekend.
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:26 pm

I could listen to true stories all day. Especially from the people who did the experiencing Smile

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 7 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:06 pm

It was the real Mordor. We never learn do we. that's why we will never evolve from large monkeys that walk on two legs into something better. we will never be Elves.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:29 pm

azriel wrote:I could listen to true stories all day. Especially from the people who did the experiencing Smile

I'll leave the one where I ended up with about a dozen highly trained Turkish Commandos pointing the pointy end of their guns at me, for another time. Wink
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:38 pm

That sounds like it can wait for the next few moments you have to spare.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Nagual wrote:
azriel wrote:I could listen to true stories all day. Especially from the people who did the experiencing Smile

I'll leave the one where I ended up with about a dozen highly trained Turkish Commandos pointing the pointy end of their guns at me, for another time. Wink

I would like to hear your stories if its not too intrusive for you. Very Happy people have such fascinating tales, they are better than fiction a lot of the time.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:17 pm

Real people with real stories, People should tell their stories or they might become lost forever & that would be a sad, lonely shame !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Not actually odd or curious, this digital recreation of Rome in the time of Constantine is pretty cool.

http://www.vox.com/2016/2/28/11129238/rome-reborn-video

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:55 pm

I enjoyed that Halfy Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:27 pm

yep that was very interesting. I think I was quite disappointed by Rome when I visited because in my imagination it should have looked like this video. Rome is mostly Baroque today and its not my favourite architectural style.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:38 pm

{{{{Come on Nagual!- tell your tale! Mad - sure you had one about the officers mess was very entertaining too Nod }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 pm

My main impression of Rome the one time I visited was it was so jam packed with buildings you couldn't see anything, and if you value your life don't attempt to cross the street! No

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:24 pm

I think it's good to remember that italians mostly go to Rome for the food. Nod

https://youtu.be/HqqsIj9X9-o?t=33m13s

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:32 am

Yeah Nagual ! Tell us a story !!!! please, please, please Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:20 am

I am going the Nag the Nagual. Very Happy story! story! bounce
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:28 am

Venice didn't disappoint me, it blew my socks off.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:45 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:27 am

I did that wrist test & I have that vestigial muscle Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 22  Next