azriel
David H
Bluebottle
malickfan
Eldorion
15 posters

Page 22 of 28 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 22 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by David H Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:14 pm

azriel wrote:Whats wrong with Shitterton ? Smile How about these doozies as well Smile..........
Bell End....   Worcestershire
Brown Willy...  Cornwall
Nob End....   Lancashire
Scratchy Bottom..... Dorset,
Boggy Bottom, Minge Lane, Fanny Barks ( I kid you not,) Crotch Crescent in Oxford... ( I can produce photo's ! Smile )
Oh the list is a long & winding road Smile  What a lurid sense of humour us Brits have, & no doubt the Scots, Irish & Welsh too ! Smile

http://www.anglotopia.net/ultimate-list-of-funny-british-place-names/

And then we have oddly weird & yet sometimes sweet names for places Smile Honestly, what are we like Smile

http://mentalfloss.com/article/69445/43-charmingly-odd-british-town-names

http://britainexplorer.com/funny-place-names/

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
I'm pretty sure we've not reused ANY of those!
lol!

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 22 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [3]

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:06 pm

I would love to live in a place called Boggy Bottom-on-Sea Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:37 pm

I'd like to be mailing out bill payments from Fudgepack Upon Humber.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:17 am

You gotta ask yourself what was the mentality in naming those places & roads in such a way Smile How innocent we must have been in the old days ! ( that's gone out the window !) There's a place in the West Country called "Butlers Hard" & I used to think Butlers Hard what ??
Answers on a postcard please or text to......

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 22 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 22 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:18 am

I dunno if we can compete with the UK for sheer quantity, but we Americans do have a city named after a TV show (Truth or Consequences, New Mexico).
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Cripes Smile  I had to look that up Eldo, I believe you its just, well, unusual Smile So is the name "Elephant Butte" which is close by according to Wikipedia Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:52 pm

I've got Humptulips to the north of me and Tokeland to the south. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Have you ? you should see a doctor about that Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:14 pm

I just had to looks those up on a map!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:20 pm

azriel wrote:Have you ? you should see a doctor about that Very Happy

Laughing yeah I hear humping tulips is illegal in 10 states.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:31 pm

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 22 Hot-7-10

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:38 pm

hehe.

While looking up Humpingtulips (they do have a grocery store) I also looked up Dave's place, and found something I hadn't caught before. On Apple maps, because North Cove is disappearing so fast, they actually extend the streets into the ocean! continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 22 Northc10

(Dave's cranberry fields are the green fields across the main road that pick up a reddish tint as you go further east.)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:43 pm

If you drive along the northern part of I-95 in Maryland, getting close to the border with Delaware, you a see a sign for this:

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 22 WvKkzCMh

{{{Sadly it is not a single place but two different towns.}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:55 pm

North East Rising Sun sounds so nice sunny If it were a name that is..

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:29 pm

wow how quick is that erosion? Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:36 pm

on a side note I am the only person I know to be actually on Google Earth map. I did the usual thing of going to look at your own road, and there I was. I was showing my dad how it worked and he said 'that's you isn't it?' and I went 'bloody hell so it is, its a good thing its the back of my head with hat' Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:wow how quick is that erosion? Shocked

There's a bit of shoreline that's lost 47 ft since the first of the year. In big storms we've sometimes lost 200 ft in a day. But I'm working on it. I've been reading journal articles on geomorphology (I didn't know the word when I started this) and picking the brains of all the University and Government PhD's that will answer phone or emails, and we're slowly getting a handle on the problems (knock on wood...)

Did you see the article and video I shared a while ago?

http://kcts9.org/programs/in-close/hope-floats-in-washaway-beach

{{{{yes, that's me Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed }}

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Eldorion wrote:If you drive along the northern part of I-95 in Maryland, getting close to the border with Delaware, you a see a sign for this:

continuing proofs America is wacko [3] - Page 22 WvKkzCMh

{{{Sadly it is not a single place but two different towns.}}}

I thought it was more a statement Razz

"North east, rising sun."

Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:58 pm

{{{Eru help America if this is really its majority voice- and calls himself a Christian too!!! Evil or Very Mad }}}

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38926728

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:13 pm

When I met with Judge Gorsuch on Feb. 7, I sought to ascertain his potential to be an independent check on the president. The judge was clearly very smart, articulate and polite, with superb judicial demeanor. But over the course of an hour, he refused to answer even the most rudimentary questions.

I asked him whether an unambiguous Muslim ban would be constitutional. He refused to answer. I asked him if he agreed with conservative lawyers who say the president has abused executive power. He refused to answer. I asked him whether he thought the president’s comments on voter fraud would undermine our democracy. He refused to answer. I asked him about landmark cases like Citizens United and Bush v. Gore. He refused to answer. Since he claims to be an originalist, I asked him about his view of what the framers intended with the Emoluments Clause in our Constitution.

He refused to answer any of these questions. He told me he couldn’t give me his view of any case, past or present, or any constitutional principle, because it might bias him. This blanket excuse frustrates any examination of what kind of judge the nominee will be. As the conservative icon Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist wrote, “Proof that a justice’s mind at the time he joined the court was a complete tabula rasa in the area of constitutional adjudication would be evidence of lack of qualification, not lack of bias.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/opinion/sunday/charles-schumer-judge-gorsuch-we-wont-be-fooled-again.html

:facepalm:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:36 pm

To be fair, judges from either side of the aisle tend to be evasive on such questions. I get the impression that Gorsuch is only being somewhat more than normal, which is not surprising given the starkly divided political climate.

As far as Montanan's go; I'd say they are quite representative of a wide swath of Americans, most which have never met a Muslim face to face and probably wouldn't recognize one as such if they did since they tend not to fit the image.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:45 pm

He told me he couldn’t give me his view of any case, past or present, or any constitutional principle, because it might bias him.

To me that seems like the best answer, especially if he gives the same answer to both Schumer and McConnell.
I like independent judges who understand how to differentiate personal, political, and constitutional principles and know better than to get drawn into a political football match they may later be asked to referee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:09 pm

The problem according to Schumer, reflected in the full piece, is that the silence here, in his opinion, most likely does not denote independence, but hides the fact that Gorsuch is anything but independent. He notes the example of Roberts, who acted similarly in the vetting process, but has come to lead the US Supreme Court in distinctly reactionary direction. Schumer will not be fooled again. A SC nominated judge who can't even answer the simple innocuous question of an approach to interpreting the Constitution will not get his vote. Rather he will actively oppose him.

All very understandable, I'd say. With the US as divided as it is you can't allow hidden agendas. Clarity in questions like this are more important than ever.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:25 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
All very understandable, I'd say. With the US as divided as it is you can't allow hidden agendas. Clarity in questions like this are more important than ever.
Are you suggesting that Sen. Schumer and Sen. McConnell don't have hidden agendas themselves? confused
Personally I'd be very concerned about the judgement and impartiality of any nominee who allowed themselves to speculate publicly on divisive hypothetical legal questions. No

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Hidden agendas? Schumer and McConnell are elected politicians that ran for office on political platforms, I'd say their agendas if anything are wide open. Shrugging

Gorsuch is a nominee for the role of a judge on a constitutional court, and he won't even answer questions about his approach to constitutional interpretation to the people who will have to vote him into the role.

Since he claims to be an originalist, I asked him about his view of what the framers intended with the Emoluments Clause in our Constitution.

As Rehnquist said

Proof that a justice’s mind at the time he joined the court was a complete tabula rasa in the area of constitutional adjudication would be evidence of lack of qualification, not lack of bias.

We know what the politicians are after, but a judge in these frayed times needs to be open about his judicial approach, for there to be any faith in him for the role proposed.

That doesn't mean he has to answer "publicly on divisive hypothetical legal questions." Just an openness on his judicial approach and central constitutional issues will do.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 28 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next