Ringdrotten
Eldorion
halfwise
Pettytyrant101
Norc
14 posters

Page 28 of 31 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 28 Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3]

Post by Norc Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:Jeg snakker litt norsk nå.

Det er... vanskelig. Jeg heter Forest. Det regner mye i dag.

bleh.

How's the coffee?

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Veldig bra! Du er flink! Keep at it Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 28 Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3]

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:44 am

Tusen takk!

Fikk du en skilpadde... ennå?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Ikke værst. Very Happy Jeg vet ikke hvordan skillpadder ville klare seg i Norge, var -12 her i går :/

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Tusen takk!

Fikk du en skilpadde... ennå?

ikke enda Sad det ble stilt fra den kanten... kanskje for det beste...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Jeg er sikker på at det er en skilpadde der ute med navnet ditt på den Nod

Altså... ikke bokstavelig talt..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:17 am

"Not (happening? Being? was?). I don't know how turtles would do here in Norway, (we had? it was?) -12 here yesterday."

"I am sure that there is a turtle out there with your name on it.
So...not literally numbered (?)"
-Blue

"Still no. It (the turtle) could not make it through the border (like couldn't be sent to Norway?). Maybe for the best..."
-Norc

I and my Norsk-Engelsk Ordbok aren't quite up to the task of translating yet, apparently. Razz

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:33 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:"Not (happening? Being? was?). I don't know how turtles would do here in Norway, (we had? it was?) -12 here yesterday."

"I am sure that there is a turtle out there with your name on it.
So...not literally numbered (?)" Not literally your name written in it
-Blue

"Still no. It (the turtle) could not make it through the border (like couldn't be sent to Norway?). Maybe for the best..."
-Norc
maybe i wrote it wrongly idk, but i wrote that it went quiet (stille, stilt) from that person (from that place/fra den kanten). it's a saying.
I and my Norsk-Engelsk Ordbok aren't quite up to the task of translating yet, apparently. Razz

i think you did well.. but good luck with spoken norwegian Laughing just saying...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:35 am

"it went quiet on that front"

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:14 am

Yeah thanks a lot, haha.

I know that expression, like the book, All Quiet on the Western Front .

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:20 am

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 28 Img_0810

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 28 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:51 am

Kvil i fred. Laughing

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:41 am

Kill Fred? Shocked

Is this the Scandewegian version of "They killed Kenny?"

Veldig bra! Du er flink! Keep at it Smile

Was Forrest just called a flink? (I've often thought it, but never said it.)

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:49 pm

likt antall år siden?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Fylla-formulering - tre år siden forrige skitur, heh.

What this all is for all you foreign hobbits is I kinda said I'd ski home from this cabin we stayed at last night, and it's a 30km track. So, hungover though I was, I kinda had to. The weather and conditions were superb, so probably the best detox I've had Very Happy

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 28 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:Fylla-formulering - tre år siden forrige skitur, heh.

What this all is for all you foreign hobbits is I kinda said I'd ski home from this cabin we stayed at last night, and it's a 30km track. So, hungover though I was, I kinda had to. The weather and conditions were superb, so probably the best detox I've had Very Happy
'
i think i understood it now that you wrote it in english.. was this sent after you drunkenly went on a 30 km skiing adventure? or am i still confused?? and what does this have to do with barneskirenn (skiing thing for kids)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Barneskirenn is a reference to something Petter Northug once said Smile It was sent after I had drunkenly said I'd ski home (no memory of posting it here as well actually). The adventure took place today, after all the drunkenness

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:27 pm

Is it basically: "When you're thinking about going three miles by ski tomorrow, and it's been a number of years since our last ski trip."? I mean, is this one of those "When you're X" musing-type posts that you see on social media?

My dictionary doesn't have an entry for barnaski, only barneskei. Razz

And what's the deal with this "tre mil" bit? I thought all you Euro-types were tossing around kilometers willy-nilly. And anyway, three miles isn't 30 km, it's only ~4.8 km. scratch

Halfwise wrote:Was Forrest just called a flink? (I've often thought it, but never said it.)
Hey!

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:29 pm

10km equals one Fjordian "mil" - confusing, I know Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Ah, so it's like a... deca-kilometer.

Not too confusing, really. I mean, in the system we officially have in the US it's 12 points to a pica, 6 picas to an inch, 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, and 1,760 yards to a mile (5,280 feet).

In my carpentry work, however, the smallest unit of length I use is the inch, which is divided on a tape measure into 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16s.

US Surveying has its own set of interesting sounding names for length: link, foot, rod, chain, furlong, survey mile, and league. And US Nautical uses fathom, cable, and nautical mile.

And there's a separate set of measurements for dry and liquid volumes for some reason. Some farming thing probably. Razz

But for cooking you use these: 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon, 16 tablespoons to a cup (or 2 tablespoons to a fluid ounce), 2 cups to a pint, 2 pints to a quart, 4 quarts to a gallon.

There's something satisfyingly arcane about it to me, but I do have a bugger of a time trying to work out math at work. The whole 12 inch to a foot and inches being divided up into a base fraction of 1/16 does not make for easy calculations!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:02 pm

the metric system is NOT the confusing part here..

the confusing part here is why ringo decided to get hammer and then ski 30 km back?

also.. (mil would be 10 with a hightend 4)
Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 28 Meter_1
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:11 pm

also, you stlil have all your toes?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Hah, yes I do Laughing Layered up, so wasn't cold at all really. And I kinda had to go through with it having said I would Laughing It was very nice, though, no regrets there - only my thighs haven't really done this for so long, so I'll feel that tomorrow

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:06 pm

This was cross country skiing, I assume?

Forrest - though "American" units are comfortingly arcane, I tend to convert them into metric, do my calculations, then if necessary convert back again. It's actually faster then sticking to the dingbat-blasted medieval system people use in this benighted country.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:17 pm

That was dangerously close to a criticism of our time-honoured system of measurements, Halfwise! Tread carefully. A step misplaced by as much as 1/73 of a fathom could lead to public shaming in the July 4th thread!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:51 am

Our measurement system is....quaint. I'll leave it at that.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 31 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next