Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3]

Page 31 of 31 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 29, 30, 31

Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 31 Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3]

Post by Amarië on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Halftime... A relative of yours I assume? The family business, perhaps?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 31 Lolcat-petting2
Today the Shire, DarkPlanet cat. Tomorrow... THE WORLD!

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 31 Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3]

Post by halfwise on Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:36 pm

Halftime does seem to be the family business in recent years. My sister, brother and I take turns being underemployed. It's been my turn for the last year or so.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd on Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:39 pm

halfwise wrote:
Norc wrote:
Forest Shepherd wrote:Those glasses of beer make Norc look like a hobbit: they're huge!

haha, well i am tiny so any beer above 0,5L makes me look small..

edit: also i have a funny feeling Ringo purpously bought the biggest one..

> They call it "a pint."
> It comes in pints?

One of the rare examples of good non-Tolkien writing in the movies.
It's another patch on Pippin and Merry's jester costumes, is the downside.

and a thousand tongues had told
that I would sink to these ways
that I would fall on these days--
the days I have fallen on
the ways I have sunk into.

-Instructions and a Warning, The Kalevala
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
Trekkie in training

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc on Sun May 10, 2020 2:44 pm

halfwise wrote:The alcohol content does tend to increase with the designation.  I've read that it comes from the rinse of the wort, with successive rinses producing less malt so less alcohol; but that doesn't really hold up because the traditional style has a doppel with malty, chocolately taste and color, a trippel is usually light in color but more fruity and spicy. The trippel is a bit of a mix of the two; but since it would be the first rinse you'd think it would have the more chocolaty taste, etc.  

But unless you're a beer person you probably wouldn't be paying attention to these rather localized styles.  I think Ringo or Blue may be up on it.  For me, anyone who claims to like beer but isn't fascinated by the Belgian styles is problematic.  I can be friends with them but will skirt that topic like I would politics if I knew they were a Trump supporter.  Some dark parts of the soul don't need to be explored.

Hey, Halfie Smile I am quite the beer drinker and i am also quite fond of the belgian beers, although, sour beers i still haven't warmed up to. i have never heard of the trippel, druppel etc. labeling of beers... sounds very americnized to make it more easy to.. idk.. comprehend. I have gotten the impression that young americans drink beer and not a lot of vodka etc. at parties because of the drinking age, so that might explain why the alcohol percentage is kinda important part of the naming. if you wanna be fancy here an get strong beer (as we call it) you need to go to the (state-run) liqour store (the only place you can buy wine, spirits and strong beer over 4,7 %).

about the long overdue meet up in oxford... fuck corona, but it should definietly happen. hope everyones ok out there.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sun May 10, 2020 3:03 pm

Norcy! :carrot:

Beer in Europe definitely tastes different from beer here, because like cheese about half our beer is pasteurized. To ensure getting living beer you need to go to a brewery, which has become popular in recent decades, thankfully. Much beer is now distributed unpasteurized, but there's no uniformity.

I've been warming up to sour beers. But you definitely have to seek out the good ones.

So good to hear from you! I hope your live is going well. And yes, the Oxford meet-up has to happen, but I think we have to let this dang blasted virus blow through. And money is tight for many people right now, including me. (Within a month I'll know if I should do a job switch. Chasing research money is not working.) So we'll keep the dream alive.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc on Sun May 10, 2020 3:23 pm

halfwise wrote:Norcy!  :carrot:

Beer in Europe definitely tastes different from beer here, because like cheese about half our beer is pasteurized.  To ensure getting living beer you need to go to a brewery, which has become popular in recent decades, thankfully.  Much beer is now distributed unpasteurized, but there's no uniformity.

I've been warming up to sour beers.  But you definitely have to seek out the good ones.

So good to hear from you!  I hope your live is going well.  And yes, the Oxford meet-up has to happen, but I think we have to let this dang blasted virus blow through.  And money is tight for many people right now, including me.  (Within a month I'll know if I should do a job switch.  Chasing research money is not working.)  So we'll keep the dream alive.

yes, the meet up seem even more unattainable.. but as i just discovered, there is a discord server, so maybe technology is trying to tell us something ...

that's so weird, are you joking, or are they actualt pasteruzizing (idgf how it's spelled) beer? why?!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sun May 10, 2020 3:41 pm

Cheese, beer, everything. But with domestic brewers and creameries that knee jerk reaction is going away. America is still recovering from the plastic food culture that started in the 1950's.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sun May 10, 2020 3:45 pm

I'd much prefer zoom to discord. But I've learned face meetings must involve alcohol or they just don't work as well.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc on Sun May 10, 2020 3:54 pm

halfwise wrote:I'd much prefer zoom to discord.  But I've learned face meetings must involve alcohol or they just don't work as well.
that is true. although zoom is kinda bad with your personal data etc.. 

america always seem to ruin good food..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise on Sat May 16, 2020 1:39 pm

I've decided that with the snow still falling in Fjordlandia, this is the most appropriate thread in which to post.  I fell under the spell of mint juleps about 20 years ago, and it was this bit of historical recipe that captured my imagination.

A mint julep is not a product of a formula. It is a ceremony and must be performed by a gentleman possessing a true sense of the artistic, a deep reverence for the ingredients and a proper appreciation of the occasion. It is a rite that must not be entrusted to a novice, a statistician nor a Yankee.

https://civilwarhome.com/mintjulep.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 31 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 29, 30, 31