ElendilTheShort
Pettytyrant101
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
28 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 3 Empty Re: 'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS

Post by malickfan Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:13 am

azriel wrote:Well, whatever people think about this bileology, we can all catch up every Christmas or Easter, as here (UK) The LOTRs films are bunged on quite often now, usually around Holidays, so youll never be free......... Mmwoar ha ha !  Twisted Evil

Just because the Hobbit films are over and done with :carrot: doesn't mean I have any plans to desert this place, Forumshire is certainly one of the more active, welcoming forums I have posted on, and I can see it having an easier time of lasting past the end of the films than some of the other Tolkien Forums on the net.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 3 Empty Re: 'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS

Post by azriel Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:38 am

Yay verily to that cheers I feel the same, & have no intentions of buggering orrrf Laughing

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:01 pm

cumon you Vikings! give us some beef to chew on! stop shilly shallying and tell us what you think! bounce Norc, Ringo, Blue, Huff. THIS MEANS YOU!! I cant wait another 4 days. bounce

btw thanks for the review Malick. 6/ isn't bad. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:31 pm

4 days or 400 days doesn't matter, my resolve hasn't changed a bit.I will however look forward to reading how bad the films are by all of your reviews.....

Right at the moment I am enjoying a real manly adventure tale. The 13th warrior,no fake women added for feminine energy, Thank God! pub

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:43 pm

Ah yes, Andonio is my boy. Too bad he and Omar Sharif were not enough to save the film. But bad manly films are a perfect guilty pleasure.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:03 pm

Personally I think it is a very well made film.Maybe not the best film ever but still rather good IMO... At least it isn't bloated with CGI, the members of the company get injured or even killed along the way. and there is a sense of urgency and importance to it. Without feeling the need to reveal everything that happens later in the film.

Jackson would have needed a 20 minute prologue showing why the bear people did what they did full of CGI, then he would have kept referring back to something in that prologue throughout the rest of the film even though we already got it. All the locations would have needed green screen somewhere so they could digitally fill in the exact same thing they had in reality. and 2 of the vikings would of had to been women and one african american to please special and ethnic interest groups. Would have been such a better film (NOTE SARCASM) LMAO Sofa

pub

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Ayup...

All I can say is go read the comments left by those who've seen the film so far on the official FB Page if you feel like a laugh. (But still Please dont let Jacko get the Silmarillion, please.) some real doozys there !

What suddenly gives me a feeling of hope, is that most of these people dont seem to have realised that TH is supposed to be a 'Book adaptation'. They seem to think its an original work by Jacko, and so, at least us book lovers can in a way feel untroubled by the sheer awfulness of it. (and for me, ROTK.) TH as made by PJ to these people has as much relevance as, say, 'White Chicks' does. In the main, its 'Wow' tonight, but that feeling will be gone from them before tomorrow dawns, and so they'll move onto the next film.

So for me, the Profs Legacy is safe... All I have to do is what Figgy says, and treat it like a popcorn movie, and play 'what an awful load of shite this movie is' !

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:19 am

Sinister71 wrote:

Right at the moment I am enjoying a real manly adventure tale. The 13th warrior,no fake women added for feminine energy, Thank God! pub

I remember enjoying that when it came out, but thinking all the ship scenes where too short and badly done.  And IMO you can't do a truly good viking movie without good ship scenes. No  

I think the definitive viking movie is still waiting to be made.
In the mean time the old Kirk Douglas "The Vikings", has some fantastic ship and viking village scenes.
Sure, the plot is incredibly cheesy in a 1950's kind of way, but that's what they make the fast-forward button for Very Happy

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 3 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 3 UJpDi 'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 3 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:35 am

David H wrote:
Sinister71 wrote:

I remember enjoying that when it came out, but thinking all the ship scenes where too short and badly done.  And IMO you can't do a truly good viking movie without good ship scenes. No   

I think the definitive viking movie is still waiting to be made.
In the mean time the old Kirk Douglas "The Vikings", has some fantastic ship and viking village scenes.
Sure, the plot is incredibly cheesy in a 1950's kind of way, but that's what they make the fast-forward button for Very Happy

Yeah I agree the ship scene was rather short (considering how much time Vikings actually spent at sea) but I think for the technology of the time they did alright with what they had. But the movie overall was something that shows you can make a good looking adventure film without catering to genders, colors, and other factors that are not historically accurate.

I just like it when the film maker takes the time to think about the film they are making and at least tries to make some of the historical elements semi accurate. I don't mean completely accurate but at least making the attempt. As far as Vikings goes i started watching the show on the history channel and how they show women being equal to the men, It just didn't happen that way back then. But people get offended if you portray it that way, without thinking about that is the way it really was back then. They didn't live by today's standards of equality

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:46 am

I was going to rewatch both AUJ and DOS in preparation for seeing the final film, but it's getting close to the big day and I haven't been able to muster the excitement to watch over six hours of film.  I did really want to see the new scenes from DOS-EE in context, though, so my dad and I watched that one tonight.  Honestly, I liked it even less than I remembered liking DOS in theatres (the same thing happened with AUJ last year).  To be sure, the EE scenes definitely improved the movie, but the whole thing is still really long, and incredibly dull.  I have no idea how they managed to make The Hobbit nine hours long or whatever it will be after BOFA-EE, but shortchange the White Council and Dol Guldur (their most vaunted additions) so much.  Those subplots go fucking nowhere, the White Council is almost entirely absent from DOS, and from the synopses of BOFA the Dol Guldur stuff is wrapped up extremely early.  So really the only purpose of this was to make Sauron responsible for the climactic battle so that it seems more like LOTR.  But that just cheapens the story of the movies (even if you ignore the book) by inviting constant comparisons to the previous, better films.  And if you do pay attention to the book, then it just drives home how limited PJ's scope is when it comes to storytelling (as opposed to visuals).  Tolkien called out the absurdity of insisting that "good and evil" meant you had to have two and only two teams facing off against each other 60 fucking years ago.

Letter 175 wrote:I think the book quite unsuitable for 'dramatization', and have not enjoyed the broadcasts – though they have improved. I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!). Cannot people imagine things hostile to men and hobbits who prey on them without being in league with the Devil!
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:49 am

That said, I'm all prepared to watch BOFA now and I'm eager to put this one in the books.  However, the only thing about the film itself that I'm genuinely curious to see is how exactly it ties into FOTR at the end.  I'm pretty sure I read about this in the synopses/reviews that got posted after the world premiere, but I've managed to forget much of that stuff in the two weeks since, so it'll be sort of like going in with minimal spoilers.  But I'm entirely ready for this to be over now.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:22 am

There's a spanish CAM RIP out there if anyone is feeling brave. I'm watching it right now, not sure what they're saying, but I'm pretty sure the uni-brow guy is going to annoy the shit out of me when I see this in the theater.

First 15 minutes and he's got way more dialogue than Bilbo.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:39 am

Spoiler:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:43 am

Well, I've watched just over 30 minutes of it, I think I'll stop there and wait until Tuesday night.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:34 am

Who is uni-brow guy? Alfrid?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:51 am

Yeah, the Grima of the hobbit movies. But this is like if Grima got his own sitcom.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:58 am

Grima with a sitcom ... right after half the population of Edoras was burned to death.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:09 pm

I am gonna hate Floating Gandalf. Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:45 pm

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/hobbit-battle-of-the-five-armies-hits-26-2-million-internationally-in-first-two-days-1201378285/

“The Hobbit” franchise is ending with a bang, with first-place openings in 17 international markets on Thursday and a two-day total of $26.6 million for Peter Jackson’s “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.”

Russian moviegoers gave “Armies” the biggest Warner Bros. opening day ever with $2.5 million on 2,285 screens. That number topped “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” by 50%.

Brazil opened with $1.3 million at 1,037 screens and Mexico generated $1.1 million, taking 76% and 72% respectively of the top five films.

The New Zealand launch was the biggest of 2014 with $592,000 and set the record as the widest release in the country’s history with 205 screens at 104 sites.

Openings in Serbia and the Ukraine ranked as the biggest Warner’s titles of all time.

Germany has totalled $5.3 million two days followed by France with $4.2 million.

“Armies” opens in the U.K. Friday and in Japan on Saturday — lifting the total screen count to 14,000. It opens domestically Dec. 17.

Along with the U.S., South Korea, Italy and Spain debut the movie on the Dec. 17 weekend and China on Jan. 23.

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” took in 70% of its worldwide grosses outside the U.S. with $714 million and $303 million in the U.S. “Smaug” grossed $700 million internationally and $258 million domestically.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Eldorion wrote:Grima with a sitcom ... right after half the population of Edoras was burned to death.

Yeah. I couldn't understand the dialogue, and had to infer a lot, but most of it seemed pretty lame and in poor taste (e.g. cross-dressing).

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Agreed Figgy No this 'Penn & Teller' moment is gonna make me barf ! Its so cringable pale How the holy heck did Cate Blanchett agree to this ? Was it really so worth it ?

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:05 pm

How the holy heck did Cate Blanchett agree to this ?- Azriel

$$$$$$$$$$$$

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Fooking must have been ! Tho she must be doing quite well from the Perfume she's advertizing Wink Armani dont come cheap, ( not that Id know Rolling Eyes Rags, & wasted away ) Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:57 pm

It'll be interesting to see how the box office plays out for BOFA.  Obviously international is where most of the money will come from, but DOS actually saw a decline in that realm too (though not as significant as it did in North America).  Conventional wisdom has it that series finales see a boost over the previous few installments, but this trend has only emerged in the past 10-12 years and is too rife with exceptions to be a reliable rule for predictions.  I could still see BOFA going either up or down over DOS, probably not by very much either way, but it's more likely to see an increase overseas.

It's worth noting that this has been a brutal year for sequels and franchise follow-ups in general.  Even The Hunger Games has fallen off considerably since Catching Fire a year ago, despite that film being generally better received than the first one.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by ElendilTheShort Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:35 am

SPOILER

galadriel putting forth her power is apparantley having her looking like the evil spirit out of the "RING"&"GRUDGE" movies. had a genius at uknowwhere say this was very tolkien....i expressed a different view quite bluntly. I liked aspects of Doggy Bore, elrond and sarumans fighting was not ridiculous imo, no stupid ninja flips or ott moves that i can recall, but once they initially beat the nine, then the visuals started looking like a 70's bowie or queen video with the 9 standing in front of Sauron, and G.Ladriel turning all spooky n stuff looking like crap run over twice. imagine seeing that each time you got into an argument with her, no wonder Teleporno (worst name in the history of anything ever) stayed in middle earth for a decent bit of time, after she sodded off to Tol Eressa.

ElendilTheShort
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next