ElendilTheShort
Pettytyrant101
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
28 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 11 Empty Re: 'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS

Post by Bluebottle Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:07 pm

The characters still go on the physical journey, but their internal journey, the character development, is lost. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 11 Empty Re: 'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:12 pm

true
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:52 am

Bluebottle wrote:The characters still go on the physical journey, but their internal journey, the character development, is lost. Nod
They pretend to go on the same journey, but very little about that journey resembles the original.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by dak Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:44 am

I guess the success of LOTRO doomed the Hobbit on ever being the Hobbit. It then invariably had to have a big budget and Jackson attached and had to connect and have a similar tone to the earlier films. I wish it had come first and had been more of a bold experiment. They may as well reduce the movies to a couple of flashbacks that can be inserted into a couple of Bilbo's scenes in a LOTRO Ultimate edition.

dak
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:58 pm

'It then invariably had to have a big budget and Jackson attached and had to connect and have a similar tone to the earlier films.'

This is the bit I have a problem with - what PJ did was the easy thing to do, the expected thing to do and the completely wrong thing to do.

If he was half the independent brave film maker his fans like to claim he is he would have known this and realised that the only way to do TH justice and successfully was to make a film set in the same world but with a completely different tone and style. But he is either incapable of changing his style to suit the material and instead has to shove the material into his mould, or he didn't understand the nature of the material he was working with, or he just didn't care about the tone and style of the work being adapted and why it was important.

But then I have been arguing since his LotR's films that he doesn't actually understand or have any real appreciation for the material- he just likes all the spectacle it offers and big vistas and battles. I still think he was more interested in remaking Bakshi's version, but 'fixed' as he saw it far more than he was interested in adapting the book.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by ElendilTheShort Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:24 pm

This talk of tone, SFX and whatever else is all very well but the simple fact is these Hobbit films were mostly crap because of all the added stuff, and by this I do not mean the inclusion of the so called appendices content which was all changed anyway, but crap like Alfrid, Tauriel (which could have been ok but was terrible) and Thranduil's increased antagonist role meaning he was portrayed as acting like an asshole. When the writers extrapolated or interpolted storylines based on the writing they got it wrong, they created situations that could not exist in Tolkiens world, whether they were written such as TH book or were largely unwritten such as Dol Guldur. This trilogy makes the LOTR trilogy (which is better on all accounts but still terrible at times and well short of what Tolkien wrote) look like a masterpiece.

ElendilTheShort
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:14 pm

well I wont argue with LOTR as masterpiece Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:23 pm

ElendilTheShort wrote:This talk of tone, SFX and whatever else is all very well but the simple fact is these Hobbit films were mostly crap because of all the added stuff, and by this I do not mean the inclusion of the so called appendices content which was all changed anyway, but crap like Alfrid, Tauriel (which could have been ok but was terrible) and Thranduil's increased antagonist role meaning he was portrayed as acting like an asshole. When the writers extrapolated or interpolted storylines based on the writing they got it wrong, they created situations that could not exist in Tolkiens world, whether they were written such as TH book or were largely unwritten such as Dol Guldur. This trilogy makes the LOTR trilogy (which is better on all accounts but still terrible at times and well short of what Tolkien wrote) look like a masterpiece.

:clap: Nod

I happened to like Thrandypants acting like an asshole actually,  just like I prefer the grumpy selfish Thorin in the book, it was easier for me to accept selfish flawed characters who don't act that human than perfect heroic Archetypes who are almost to easy to trust, it's a fantasy film I don't really want to be force fed sympathy on the characters, ambiguity and darkness is often something I enjoy in characters (probably explains why I'm such a miserable bugger) I feel the same way about Doctor Who. At least he seemed genuine and had some canon backing in being grumpy, unlike 'look how far my eyebrows are raised' Elrond in the LOTR films, Lee Pace was probably my second favourite performance in the film, after Ken Stott)

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:28 pm

I agree. The acting was one of the best parts of BOFA in particular, especially Lee Pace and Richard Armitage (though I hated what he was acting, the how was very good) and Martin Freeman was much less gimicky in this film. The material sucked, but what they did with it was pretty admirable.

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 11 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Tinuviel wrote:I agree. The acting was one of the best parts of BOFA in particular, especially Lee Pace and Richard Armitage (though I hated what he was acting, the how was very good) and Martin Freeman was much less gimicky in this film. The material sucked, but what they did with it was pretty admirable.

Yes, Jackson has always been rather good with actors, (kinda surprising since he isn't a very good one himself Laughing ) I think it was certainly a necessary skill in making fantasy films, even if you try and ground things in a 'realistic' basis like he did on LOTR, it is all too easy for things to become heightened and to swept up in the scale of things, he did very well in grounding things, and though the performances weren't always great *Orlando Bloom* they mostly felt real to me (more so in The Hobbit ironically, I think casting more actual Brits with TV and Stage experience this time around helped, experienced character actors rather than big names made things a little less gimmicky I think).

I still maintain Ian Mcshane would have been the best choice for Tolkien's Thorin, but that obviously wasn't a character Jackson and co really wanted to portray, Armitage did very well in giving a multi layered, commanding performance (and I certainly appreciate his enthusiasm for the source material) but it wasn't one that moved me at all personally, and reminded more than I liked of Mortensen...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:52 pm

malickfan wrote:
Yes, Jackson has always been rather good with actors, (kinda surprising since he isn't a very good one himself Laughing )
Hardly! Most of the best directors are not actors themselves, nor acted in the past. Your namesake was a philosophy teacher!

malickfan wrote:
I still maintain Ian Mcshane would have been the best choice for Tolkien's Thorin, but that obviously wasn't a character Jackson and co really wanted to portray, Armitage did very well in giving a multi layered, commanding performance (and I certainly appreciate his enthusiasm for the source material) but it wasn't one that moved me at all personally, and reminded more than I liked of Mortensen...
Ian McShane could have been quite lovely, yes. Armitage is fine and all, but he's so clearly Jackson's Thorin that I can't enjoy his portrayal.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:32 am

This is pretty good.

http://middle-earth.thehobbit.com/map

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:34 am

Ian McShane would have been a kick ass Thorin. I think he has some of the same characters Thorin had, which would have made for a better character on screen IMHO

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:30 am

Chris.. that map is good, I like the soothing music too Very Happy

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 11 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 11 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Sinister71 wrote:Ian McShane would have been a kick ass Thorin. I think he has some of the same characters Thorin had, which would have made for a better character on screen IMHO

Thumbs Up

(Although I have frequently pointed out Mcshane was my top choice for the role, I do find it kinda hard to picture a 72 year old man selling a blockbuster film to the masses (Mcshane is definitely suited to the Darker Thorin of the book, hell he looks kinda Dwarvish imo), or being able to get the insurance or stamina required for such a punishing shooting schedule)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:40 pm

Mcshane certainly has the beetling brows for the job.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:25 pm

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:58 pm

5 ?! Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:59 pm

Very Happy I like this song its quite catchy.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:21 pm

Bluebottle wrote:5 ?! Shocked

I know, right? Very Happy Laughing

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:26 pm

"The 5 major problems of Azog as a cgi character" more like. Nod

And that's just for a start.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:27 pm

How can Azog as a CGI character have Five Major Problems? CGI is one word...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:28 pm

Oh, I thought five was being conservative. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:31 pm

The whole concept of Azog in the film as a main character is a MAJOR problem. To me it shows the script was not well thought out and put together rather poorly... Just an opinion though

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 pm

Azog was filler, padding, something to bung a hole with, to stretch the films out more, to bore my fooking arse off Mad

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 11 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

'The Battle of the Five Armies' in theatres | SPOILERS - Page 11 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next