chris63
Bluebottle
Eldorion
20 posters

Page 10 of 28 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19 ... 28  Next

Go down

Petty's Purist LotR Edits [4] - Page 10 Empty Re: Petty's Purist LotR Edits [4]

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:26 pm

Interesting! Going to download that one and compare it to petty's, though I suspect they'll be fairly similar based on what he writes on his page. Very cool, thanks for the heads-up Very Happy

Petty's Purist LotR Edits [4] - Page 10 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:43 pm

I won't be able to download it because of my connection, but if you do watch it Ringo, I'd be very interested in your comparison between it and Petty's. I suspect Petty's has probably gone far deeper into the "pure" (isn't his about an hour shorter?)

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:55 pm

I'd be happy to write my thoughts down and share them here Smile Might try to fit it in this weekend, but if they're both 4 hour films I might not get time for both. I'll get back to you when I've watched them both Smile

Petty's Purist LotR Edits [4] - Page 10 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:33 am

I tried watching this guy's version of the barrel scene, but it was too close to the regular PJ version. Not quite as absurd, sure, but still a far cry from what I'd expect from "the Tolkien Edit".
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:28 am

Yeah, I watched the barrel clip and immediately decided that this fan edit was not for me. I'll be waiting for Petty's. Smile

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:01 am

Quick someone start promoting mine!!! Bloody johnny come lateleys Evil or Very Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:06 pm

You need to post it publicly like he did.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Ah I have rather strenuously avoided doing that for copyright reasons- I think about 200 folk have downloaded them from my drive now however. But I never put them up as torrents or anything (not that I know how to anyway!)

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Yep, the prediction is the other edit will only last a week before it's clawed down by ravening hounds.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:03 pm

did the other guy turn Lothlorien green too? Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:13 pm

Doubt he was that forward thinking and bold Figg. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:32 pm

Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:33 pm

Eldorion wrote:I tried watching this guy's version of the barrel scene, but it was too close to the regular PJ version.  Not quite as absurd, sure, but still a far cry from what I'd expect from "the Tolkien Edit".

bungobaggins wrote:Yeah, I watched the barrel clip and immediately decided that this fan edit was not for me. I'll be waiting for Petty's. Smile

Actually, as far as I remember, the barrel sequence is about 15 seconds long in Pettys edit. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:46 pm

Yeah something like that- the important thing about the barrels is that Bilbo comes up with a plan and successfully executes the plan saving everyone from the dungeons and escaping.
Putting a stupid big cgi fight into it just detracts entirely from the importance of what Bilbo has just done and their escape is no longer down to him but now also down to the ridiculous fighting of barrel Bombur and co. Mad Which undermines the whole point and importance of the escape being down to Bilbo.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:08 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Yeah something like that- the important thing about the barrels is that Bilbo comes up with a plan and successfully executes the plan saving everyone from the dungeons and escaping.
Putting a stupid big cgi fight into it just detracts entirely from the importance of what Bilbo has just done and their escape is no longer down to him but now also down to the ridiculous fighting of barrel Bombur and co. Mad Which undermines the whole point and importance of the escape being down to Bilbo.

I was maybe most looking forward to seeing that on film. The original I mean. Such a shame what they did to it. It's so generic now.

Banghead :facepalm:

But what can we do? We still have the books at least and the movie in mind is perfect.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:06 pm

wouldn't it have been nice without all the shenanigans? just Bilbo floating silently down the river shivering and sniffling on his barrel while the lake opens up around him in an immensity of cold crystal clear water with just the snowy cloudy heads of the mountians at eye level in the distance. Maybe the poor Hobbit sings a little song to himself to keep his spirits up, but then relapses back into sad silence as he feels poorly and cold. He worries about those dratted Dwarves and wonders when he can find some warmth and food.

Instead we get Legolas doing the fandango on Dwarf heads. Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:47 pm

I think Petty pretty much got it perfect considering the material he had to work with. It is literally only 10-15 seconds long though. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:56 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:wouldn't it have been nice without all the shenanigans? just Bilbo floating silently down the river shivering and sniffling on his barrel while the lake opens up around him in an immensity of cold crystal clear water with just the snowy cloudy heads of the mountians at eye level in the distance. Maybe the poor Hobbit sings a little song to himself to keep his spirits up, but then relapses back into sad silence as he feels poorly and cold. He worries about those dratted Dwarves and wonders when he can find some warmth and food.

If we had that, people would get bored... Rolling Eyes

I think that was the logic anyways that completely ran the entire production. Jackson thinks the audience is really dumb.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:23 pm

No yeah I know. Its crabbit making.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:26 pm

I guess it's kind of about making your own choices. With the LotRs movies, most of the story was already decided for Jackson. And I would say, while others might disagree, that the deviations and alterations in those movies are the weakest parts of the movies. While in the Hobbit Jackson and his team were sudenly left to make a lot more choices for themselves, the bad jugdement one could see in smaller parts of the LotRs adaptations were suddenly the dominant characteristic of his adaptation of the Hobbit.  Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Bluebottle wrote:...the bad jugdement one could see in smaller parts of the LotRs adaptations were suddenly the dominant characteristic of his adaptation of the Hobbit.  Shrugging

I think that's because Jackson showed no restraint. Maybe because of the commercial success of LoTR, Jackson thought he could do no wrong (and a large chunk of the fanbase felt similar). So he indulged too greatly in a style that tainted the rest of the production and left us all wondering why the movies were even made, beyond the obvious reasons i.e. money.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:47 pm

That certainly was a contributing factor. Nod

But consider how much of the running time of the Hobbit triology was original writing, as opposed to adaptation, compared to the LotRs movies. They had, what, like 20 pages of the book left for the final 2+ hour movie.

So, I'd say it was a combination. The success of the LotRs gave him the means, and the shortness of the Hobbit book the opportunity. Like any other crime, it's about means and opportunity. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:16 pm

its such a pity. Freeman could have been a great Bilbo if he had been allowed to act now and again. to make a really great edit you would need at least two more hours of Bilbo to make the story any good.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 am

Very true. I was a bit hesitant about Freeman when he was cast, but he turned out quite good in parts. Particularily during the slow parts of Bo5a, where the direction didn't seem to care.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:45 am

Peejers had no interest in letting peoples ability shine thru if you ask me. Weve all said it, IF Martin was allowed, IF this, IF that. I think peejers felt he'd done all he wanted to do with LOTRs & its characters. so, when you bring some of these characters in on The Hobbit theres no need to build them up as we know about them from LOTRs, so, lets just get on with the circus, Leggys Tetris stunt, plasticine Azog, Galadriel doing her Las Vegas levitation trick with Gandalf, et al. The whole thing is excruciating to watch, I even felt embarrassed it was SO shit ! It was cringing & ridiculous. Luke Evans was good but, even HE failed with that daft Hillbilly cart ride scene. Rolling Eyes

Petty's Purist LotR Edits [4] - Page 10 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Petty's Purist LotR Edits [4] - Page 10 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 28 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19 ... 28  Next