Mrs Figg
azriel
Eldorion
halfwise
bungobaggins
25 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 32 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:48 am

davidjoneshoward wrote:
Forest Shepherd wrote:Oof. I liked American Sniper quite a lot, but the ending...
I just sat there as the silent credits rolled past, tearing up, and hugged myself.

I don't know, Eastwood claimed his movie wasn't supposed to appear biased, but the exact opposite feeling came to my head. Other movies like Braveheart that were also nationalistic but still worked for me cause we actually saw the what the villains were up to; but with American Sniper we see the US raid homes, shoot innocent children taught to kill intruders, and not even once do we know why this is happening.

I got this feeling from the reviews, so never bothered to go see it. Even though I typically have a lot of respect for what Clint Eastwood does.

{{{ good gawd, just noticed you were another New Yorker. In about 7 years if I'm still around I'll take you out for a drink. Wink }}}

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 32 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by davidjoneshoward Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:48 am

halfwise wrote:{{{ good gawd, just noticed you were another New Yorker.  In about 7 years if I'm still around I'll take you out for a drink.   Wink  }}}

See ya in 7 years, me matee pub
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:48 am

And from the looks of it, we live in close areas! I'm live in Fort Washington (across the street from bennet park). How bout you?
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:54 am

I didn't see any spoiler at the front of the film claiming "This film is an un-biased take on modern war politics!" So I can't agree that the way the movie shows things from Chris Kyle's point of view detracts from its emotional impact. I watched it as the story of a man from Texas who joins the military and suffers the changes that 4 tours in the Middle-East work upon him. The movie was really good at showing his experience and making me care about him. 

The villain of this movie, not that films that focus on a character's personal struggles in war-time should even have a villain generally, would have to be the other sniper. That was the one part of the film that I thought was not done very well, and is probably the same thing that bothered you about the question of whether it was biased politically. Similarly, "The Butcher"'s stash of cut-up bodies and hanging tortured man certainly paints the insurgents as diabolical characters.

But like I was saying, the main themes of the movie weren't about any of those details. To me, what was really central to the story was the driving philosophy behind Kyle's (sometimes morally questionable) actions, his feelings of failure at not doing more, and his wife's struggles at home. All of those things can be explored without us understanding the politics of Afghanistan and Iraq, and so the film worked for me.

In terms of how political the film was trying to be, I guess I would have to agree that Clint Eastwood has villified the insurgents enough that you can't say the movie isn't proposing a Good Vs. Evil dichotomy. Perhaps similarly to Letters from Iwo Jima/Flags of Our Fathers we are seeing a distorted view of things from Kyle's perspective that would be "corrected" to a certain extent if Eastwood were to make a film from the Iraqi perspective as he did for the Japanese.
So I'd say, thanks to that infusion of politics, it stands somewhere closer to The Hurt Locker or The Messenger, which are more focused on the personal struggles of the characters involved, but also along the spectrum towards the (quite bad) Green Zone or Syriana or Body of Lies, which don't care as much about their characters nearly as much as they are concerned with driving home their political message. 

Honestly I don't care too much. There are plenty of other films that I have seen that presented the situation past and present in Iraq and Afghanistan in politically nuanced and fair and discerning terms. This movie had a great performance from Bradley Cooper, explored his character's journey in an interesting and engaging way, and really caught me unawares with its ending. I liked it!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:11 am

Chatham? I am East of London... about 35 miles.

I read the book while I was in S. America and I didn't like Chris Kyle then.

The film tries to create a coherent narrative out of it all and in my opinion fails. The film didn't need a bad guy... it was based on real life events. The focus, in my opinion, was completely misguided and didn't really even get the bits right that made Kyle seem vaguely personable in the book.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:11 pm

davidjoneshoward wrote:And from the looks of it, we live in close areas! I'm live in Fort Washington (across the street from bennet park). How bout you?

Near City College. Don't you get peeved when all the reviews of neighborhoods in Manhattan pretend anything north of Central Park doesn't exist?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:49 pm

I watched Life of Pi the other day...excellent film, I can see why it won so many awards.

On the surface it has a relatively simple (but engrossing) narrative (Teenage Boy and a Tiger trying to survive whilst drifting through the ocean on a lifeboat), but the film is packed with visually stunning imagery and some very interesting moral and thematic material (though as a Atheist (more or less) some of the symbolism was lost on me). Funny, surprisingly dark, well paced and very technically accomplished (it's hard to believe the tiger was CGI in a majority of the shots, it's almost lifelike), it's not normally the type of film I'd probably watch, but I thoroughly enjoyed it

8.5/10

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:20 pm

Saw the last hunger games. Didn't feel as rushed as the end of the book which was good. Some good action, not too much gooey stuff. I liked it.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Lancebloke wrote:Saw the last hunger games. Didn't feel as rushed as the end of the book which was good. Some good action, not too much gooey stuff. I liked it.

I haven't read the books and I've only seen the first film...it wasn't bad, but the shakeycam gave me a bit of a headache...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:55 pm

I thought the first Hunger Games was one of the most boring films I have ever seen. so I never bothered watching any more of them.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:42 pm

I recently stumbled on a small-budget documentary called "Keep on Keepin' On" about 90-year-old jazz trumpeter Clark Terry who's going blind, mentoring a 23 year-old blind piano student. Appearances by folks like Quincy Jones and Miles Davis who were also CT's students.

It's an intimate look at a really nice guy, and has a excellent score. It's a little film, but it's still got me thinking about it.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:35 am

halfwise wrote:
davidjoneshoward wrote:And from the looks of it, we live in close areas! I'm live in Fort Washington (across the street from bennet park). How bout you?

Near City College.  Don't you get peeved when all the reviews of neighborhoods in Manhattan pretend anything north of Central Park doesn't exist?

Manhattan for me is only 181st, 42nd (times square), West 4th (Film Forum and IFC of course), and Central Park. Everything else is a blur. though I'm sure there are many more, if I thought about it.
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:48 pm

'Central Park'- Davidjones

You have a famous park. Halfy has to wait till your the ridiculous age of 21 before he can invite you for a drink- sick minded country that- but you have a park- why aren't you in the park getting blind drunk already? Teenagers today- don't know they are bloody teenagers Mad Its wasted on them. I'd be 3/4 of the way down a 2l bottle of woodpecker cider, spiced with a can of tennants lager in it and up to my ankles in my own vomit by now at your age! Mad drunken

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:37 am

Central park is too well patrolled.  Best bet is the neighborhood park. Actually for a bit more of a walk all kinds of stuff goes on in Inwood Hill park after hours.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:57 pm

Lancebloke wrote:Chatham? I am East of London... about 35 miles.

I read the book while I was in S. America and I didn't like Chris Kyle then.

The film tries to create a coherent narrative out of it all and in my opinion fails. The film didn't need a bad guy... it was based on real life events. The focus, in my opinion, was completely misguided and didn't really even get the bits right that made Kyle seem vaguely personable in the book.
Watching the film after reading the book may have affected your experience. But then again, if you didn't like Chris Kyle in the book the story probably just wasn't for you I guess.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:37 pm

I saw Man On Wire last night with my mom.
It was really good!

It's a documentary about Phillipe Petit, a French tight-rope walker who from 1971-1974 staged three separate walks (more like tight-rope dances, one person comments). He walked across a rope from one tower of Notre Dame to the other, and then did a similar thing on a famous bridge in Sydney and, finally, walked across a wire strung between the World Trade Center skyscrapers. 

It's a pretty film. There is a small amount of black & white footage that is re-created for dramatic purposes, but most of the movie is made up of interviews with those involved and a huge amount of the actual footage taken by Petit and his friends. This older stuff was clearly shot by amateurs and has the charming colouring and shaky bits of home-made footage that some films now-a-days actually try to emulate.

And the score is great. Much of it is predictable French music (*cough*gymnopedie*cough*), but there was one stretch when Petit was walking across the bridge-wire in Sydney when a really nice guitar piece was played that I hadn't heard before.

The main reason I enjoyed seeing the movie though, and the reason it was released popularly when it was several years after September 11, 2001, was the way the film makes you see the World Trade Center in a different light. Most people hadn't really heard of the WTC towers before 9/11 or at least certainly didn't think about much. There is an inseparable connection, therefore, between the two towers and tragedy. Seeing them not as the tombs of hundreds of people, but as the supports for an artist to demonstrate his talents from is a wonderfully cathartic experience. They become more like mountain-peaks, or symbols of human daring and achievement.

The movie has a lot of footage of the towers under construction. Watching them go up, level by level, is the opposite of what we saw on 9/11. Seeing them built is strangely comforting.
Petit is very French, and his tight-rope walking is whimsical and pure. It is driven by nothing more than his own dreams and creativity.

8/10! A great documentary.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:57 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:'Central Park'- Davidjones

You have a famous park. Halfy has to wait till your the ridiculous age of 21 before he can invite you for a drink- sick minded country that- but you have a park- why aren't you in the park getting blind drunk already? Teenagers today- don't know they are bloody teenagers Mad Its wasted on them. I'd be 3/4 of the way down a 2l bottle of woodpecker cider, spiced with a can of tennants lager in it and up to my ankles in my own vomit by now at your age! Mad drunken

I've had numerous glasses of wine before, and occasionally put gin in my coffee Shrugging is that what you did at 14?
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:23 am

I've heard good things about Man on Wire before but your review is really making me want to check it out, Forest. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:21 pm

I've seen Philippe Petit perform. He mainly considers himself a street performer, but is artist in residence at the Cathedral of St John the Divine near Columbia University. Supposedly he has a practice wire strung high in the rafters, but I've never been able to pick it out.

Anyway, the cathedral was having an open house, and he did a 'street' performance in the main hall, all in pantomime. Came out on a unicycle blowing a whistle to attract attention, drew a circle in chalk and made signs threatening dire consequences to anyone who crossed it - he'll switch roles between someone tiptoeing across and an angry police type gesticulating angrily and slamming hands on his hips while shaking his head vigorously. Then he went around the circle greeting people and shaking hands while slipping off their watches, picking their pockets, etc. After some juggling and balancing acts he picked out a line of audience members from the biggest to a little 5 year old at the end, all holding a rope attached to a pillar. It looked like a Doctor Seuss setup with the little kid tugging on the end. Then he did a slack line walk to end the performance.

All in all he's a very talented and amusing performer; the tight rope is just a small fraction of his bag of tricks. Too bad he's getting old and rarely performs anymore.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:51 pm

Anyone else think Spectre was kind of meh?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:54 pm

But I'm going to see that today, Blue! Mad Sad

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:01 pm

Well, you might very well disagree. (It has gotten a whole lot of praise.) Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:45 am

Well, I liked it! I didn't mind that it fell back on cliches. But I really miss the days of the evil villain and a giant super weapon. An all encompassing surveillance network just doesn't seem very menacing. That was really my only complaint.

Is Craig done with the Bond franchise? This film seemed to "wrap things up" in a way.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:11 am

slap laugh
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:48 am

I agree ! slap laugh cyclops

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 32 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 32 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next