Mrs Figg
azriel
Eldorion
halfwise
bungobaggins
25 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 30 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by bungobaggins Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:33 pm

Eldorion wrote:My girlfriend has taken it upon herself to expand my cinematic horizons with new stuff, much of which I've heard of but not seen, and some of which is entirely new to me.  Largely horror, which she's really into but I'm still not a fan of.  About a week ago though we saw The Shawshank Redemption, which was just as good as everyone always said.  I knew most of what happened in the movie already just from cultural osmosis, but goddamn, it was really powerful and incredibly well done.

Maybe she'll get you to watch Close Encounters. Nod

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 30 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by bungobaggins Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:37 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Off the top off my head and in no particular order save the last one, always keep the best till last, here's my recommended horror films to see, I'll prob think of ten more though soon as I post this Mad

-if when you look for any of these films you discover there is more than one version I am referring to the original, every time, why do they even bother Mad -

Nosferatu

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Re-Animator

Evil Dead 2

The Shining

Halloween

Psycho

Alien

The Exorcist 1&3

Come and See

Braindead

The Fog

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Night, Dawn and Day of the Dead

Hellraiser

Society

Jacobs Ladder

Blair Witch Project

Videodrome

An American Werewolf in London

The Haunting

Don't Look Now

Suspiria

The Thing

The Wicker Man

I'm adding to your list, Petty:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I love the classic Universal horror movies so I'd add those, too. At least Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Mummy.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:06 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Off the top off my head and in no particular order save the last one, always keep the best till last, here's my recommended horror films to see, I'll prob think of ten more though soon as I post this Mad

-if when you look for any of these films you discover there is more than one version I am referring to the original, every time, why do they even bother Mad -

Nosferatu

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Re-Animator

Evil Dead 2

The Shining

Halloween

Psycho

Alien

The Exorcist 1&3

Come and See

Braindead

The Fog

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Night, Dawn and Day of the Dead

Hellraiser

Society

Jacobs Ladder

Blair Witch Project

Videodrome

An American Werewolf in London

The Haunting

Don't Look Now

Suspiria

The Thing

The Wicker Man

see the babadook, it's probably the best of the 2000s
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:19 am

The original Nosferatu, I assume.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:05 am

The Babadook ("Babadook, doook, doooOOOOKK!") is actually of the 2010s, so I might agree it is the best horror film of the 2010s at least!

Speaking of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I would recommend the 1970s version. Petty and I have already discussed the differences between it and the original and why he thinks the original is better, but I think the main difference between the two is the cultural context for the real-life theme behind the idea of society being undermined.
You'll have to watch them both to fully enjoy seeing this difference, but I prefer the 70s version myself (perhaps only because of my having seen it first) because its story of the breakdown of society is driven by post-Vietnam angst, a fear of cultural degradation and far more of an internal-crumbling sort of distress than an external-presence-overcoming sort of distress, if that makes sense to you anyway. Razz
I also like the body-horror in the 70s version more. I feel like they had access to a more developed range of tools to use to present the alien growths.

I think The Descent is really excellent if you are in the mood for some dark horror Eldo. It's a very powerful film, I feel, so avoid it if you're looking for lighter, more comedic, horror.

An American Werewolf in London is really awesome. See it!  Thumbs Up

And as far as Nosferatu goes, I wouldn't say the 1979 version isn't worth seeing over the original. Watch them both, I think, but I like Werner Herzog's '79 take on the movie, especially the fate he chooses for one of the main characters that deviates from the original and especially some of the beautiful cinematography and musical score we experience when the protagonist travels into the mountains.

People remake excellent movies because there is value in a remake Petty: both monetary and cultural. We don't just see one version of Shakespeare and then check that one off the list and never see it again! Mad

(Unless that's a thing in Scottshobbitland...)  scratch

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:08 am

I was actually reffering to the babadook as the best of the horror movies in this milenia, not from the decade of the 2000s.

Reguarding Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I've seen both versions, I have to say the original was just too campy and both drama and suspense felt artificial. For me lots of mainstream movies of the 1950s feel like this (with exceptions like Alfred Hitchcock), whereas the 1970s version had balanced elements of camp, drama, and suspense and succeeded with it. I dunno, I may be biased cause I saw the remake first (and that one had a naked woman!), I still saw them years ago, so maybe my opinion will change if I saw them again.
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:56 pm

American Warewolf in London is great. Nod as is The Hunger with Davis Bowie.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:34 pm

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I love the classic Universal horror movies so I'd add those, too. At least Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Mummy.- Bungo

Good addition! Thumbs Up Regards the universal horrors I did consider them for the list but especially with Dracula it was a case of where do you start? Which version? So I opted for just starting essentially at the beginning and left it at Nosferatu. Because if I include Universals Dracula I feel obliged to also add Hammer's Dracula with Christopher Lee.
But in fact I recommend them all really but got to draw a line somewhere for a list!

'Speaking of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I would recommend the 1970s version.'- Forest

'Reguarding Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I've seen both versions, I have to say the original was just too campy and both drama and suspense felt artificial. For me lots of mainstream movies of the 1950s feel like this'- David Jones

The reason i went for the original (and this one I was a bit torn on I admit, as I really like Sutherland in the 70's version, but Nimoy always pulls me out of it as he is soooo typecast-
Spoiler:
) is what you dislike Davidjones. I like the melodrama of the classic 50's B movie, it gives even the horror an odd romance to it. And above all its earnest- they always were- everyone in a classic B movie always gives the impression they believe this is the one will win them the oscar, the material is always treated with deadly seriousness.
The 70's version is just a little to self-knowing for my liking. To aware they are remaking a B movie.
But I would not say to anyone dont watch the remake, maybe just watch the original first. Like all B movies its not very long (another advantage the story doesn't need much expanding).
Oh and the town square scene when they watching form the Doctors window, thats was just fantastic direction and concept, B movie or not, and the original did it first.

'American Warewolf in London is great.'- Figg

Yup it is  Nod And like a couple of others on that list its a very good mix of still being a horror whilst also being funny.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:30 pm

Baron Sardonicus
Dr Bloods coffin

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 30 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 30 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:53 pm

Evil Dead 1 & 2. Lots of fun.

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 30 DE1kz6d

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:26 pm

I like him ! Has anyone seen him in "Bubba HoTep" ? Silly bloody film but good fun !!! Laughing

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:32 am

I just watched the new episode of Fargo. gotta say I think I prefer the first one.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:41 am

azriel wrote:I like him ! Has anyone seen him in "Bubba HoTep" ? Silly bloody film but good fun !!! Laughing

Haven't seen that one, but it looks goofy. Very Happy

I need to watch Army of Darkness in time for the premiere of Ash vs. Evil Dead.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:44 am

Mrs Figg wrote:I just watched the new episode of Fargo. gotta say I think I prefer the first one.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new season yet. Shrugging

Don't know what to think about the whole UFO thing.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:43 pm

I watched "Locke" last night & I did get engrossed in it. It starred Tom Hardy & he was really good. All it consisted of was a man driving thru the night along endless motorway & the discussions he has on the phone with various people. Now, thats enough to make me think "oh gawd" but, Hardy held my attention. I felt like I was on the journey with him. It was all very believable,
Spoiler:
I was surprised how much I liked the film but only realised this shortly after it ended Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:57 pm

Thats often the sign of a very good film- one you are so drawn into you don't even think about it whilst watching.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:20 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:I just watched the new episode of Fargo. gotta say I think I prefer the first one.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new season yet.  Shrugging

Don't know what to think about the whole UFO thing.

dunno really, it doesn't capture my imagination like the first one, I do actually like the UFO thing the most, but theres no Billy Bob and Freeman. But I only watched the first episode, I will give it a good chance before I decide.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:39 pm

I watched The Martian last night in a little town theater in Minnesota. It was only once we got there for the showing though that we discovered it was in 3D! Evil or Very Mad Mad

So apart from that screwiness and darkness of the screen and the discomfort of my face from the glasses, it was an enjoyable and fun film. I don't think Matt Damon's performance will be gaining him an Oscar though, as some had already suggested.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:20 pm

I saw it last night as well. Unfortunately I was exhausted from work/adjusting sleep schedules and was unable to take a nap before the movie, so I was dozing in and out about halfway through. The climax was really good though and woke me up, so I was able to drive home safely.

An enjoyable movie, overall.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:29 pm

ugg I hate 3D it always gives me a nosebleed for some reason. might go and watch The Martian, I like films like that. it sounds like Gravity but with a guy.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:55 am

It is like Gravity but with a ton load of characters, lots of humor, and a feel-good theme of humanity working together.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:57 pm

OMG I just watched "Ant man" & it was cracking good fun, thoroughly enjoyed it Very Happy I got myself absorbed in it & it passed a dreary sunday afternoon. With a name for a film, Ant man, I assumed it would be stupid beyond stupid but, it kinda took itself serious & it worked ? Of course its a tie in with "The Avengers", "Iron Man" etc but it held its own. Michael Douglas played his part in just about the right amount, sharing the lead with Paul Rudd who played Ant Man. Evangeline Lilly was a far better actress in this than as "Temptress Tauriel, Elf of the Night :brows: " If Iron man can have his suit Ant Man can have............well, watch it & see, it was good fun Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:53 pm

Watched "Mad Max, Fury Road" this afternoon.
Spoiler:

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Watched American Psycho. Shocked

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:21 am

How was it?

That is the oddest car advertisement I've ever seen!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next