Mrs Figg
azriel
Eldorion
halfwise
bungobaggins
25 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 35 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:28 am

I'll concede the point on Grinch then. That's really cool that they were able to imitate/expand Seuss' words so seamlessly. Fooled me.

Forest Shepherd wrote:How can there be misogyny in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeerscratch

It's all blending together but several of the R/B films have that old-timey "get back in the kitchen" kinda mentality in them. Rudolph was far from the worst offender though.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 35 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:45 pm

malickfan wrote:I haven't seen it either

honestly you youngsters today! Rolling Eyes get watching it :drum:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Eldorion wrote:I'll concede the point on Grinch then.  That's really cool that they were able to imitate/expand Seuss' words so seamlessly.  Fooled me.

Forest Shepherd wrote:How can there be misogyny in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeerscratch

It's all blending together but several of the R/B films have that old-timey "get back in the kitchen" kinda mentality in them.  Rudolph was far from the worst offender though.

I can only speak for Rudolph, but I don't believe it promotes misogyny. So what happens:

Rudolph goes missing
Clarice and Rudolph's mom want to go out and look for him
Donner tells them to stay home, man's work, etc. blatant misogyny
Donner gets captured by the Bumble
Clarice and Rudolph's mom get captured by the Bumble
Rudolph learns that they've all gone missing, goes out to search
Rudolph then can't even save them
Hermey and Yukon Cornelius lure the Bumble out of the cave and shove it off a cliff

So the "big strong man" (Donner) couldn't even take care of himself. The fact that the women are there, and the fact that they are women is ancillary. No matter what gender they are they would have been captured by the Bumble without any thought put into their rescue approach. It was ultimately up to two misfits (I consider Yukon to also be a misfit) to save everyone through a thought out plan and some quick thinking. So I think what the show is ultimately saying is not that "woman stay home cook food", but if you're in over your head step back assess the situation, consult others, execute a plan. Donner's attitude doesn't exactly put his beliefs in a positive light when he couldn't even take care of himself, let alone his entire family.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:31 pm

I was subjected to the newest transformers filmy last night.

What a load of shit even by Michael Bay standards!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Uh huh !!!! So was the "Age of Ultron" Avengers film, OMG ! Rolling Eyes

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 35 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 35 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:00 am

Watched The Hateful Eight today. We saw the 70mm Roadshow version, which had an overture and intermission and also came up with a nice full color booklet about the film. Felt a lot like a play in that respect. Actually, the movie itself was sorta play like, in terms of the very limited scope (most of the scenes take place in a one room cabin, and the main sequence that doesn't is primarily set inside a stagecoach). I have to think on the film a bit before I can fully discern my feelings or try to compare it to his other films, but the one it reminded me most of is Death Proof. I don't think it'll be one of my favorites from Tarantino -- it never really came together for me after the very slow (even by Tarantino standards) start -- but even an iffy Tarantino film is still worth seeing IMO.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:09 pm

Just watched "Bridge of Spies" & it was brilliant ! Im sure someone will correct me on whether it was an accurate account or not, I wouldnt know ? I havent read anything about the story behind this film but, as films go, this one was the best Ive seen so far. It starred Tom Hanks & Mark Rylance & they were dam good together. Its often said about chemistry between a woman & man in films but, there was a chemistry with Rylance & Hanks. They were a good match. The story was intriguing & at one point you were shown the building of "The Wall" between East & West Germany which woke me up more than the pulling down of The Wall. Its a Spielberg film so there is an element of pathos but it was still a dam good film !

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 35 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 35 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:52 am

I thought about catching that one in theatres but ended up not doing so. Good to hear that you liked it though, az. One for the Netflix/Amazon list then. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:02 am

Watched Pacific Rim again the other day, pretty sure the Aussie actor in it was the original Fili in the Hobbit. Is that why he pulled out of the film so he could be in this ? Wonder if he regrets it ?

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 35 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQf2CK7E7pNN7_-bAxdfwWv2Ngxcx_w-80Kv5b8gjiStq3y1PMR

It is him, just looked it up Smile

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:04 am

It wasn't his officially stated reason, but who knows what the rationale behind the PR was.  I do think that both Rob Kazinsky and GDT did better (except financially Sad) than those who stuck around on The Hobbit, though.  Pacific Rim was awesome. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:06 am

Is there a half-glance of Rob Kazinsky as Fili at Bag End?

JULY 15, 2013 at 8:05 AM by DEMOSTHENES

Robert Kazinsky Ringer RedOrmTheViking offers some intriguing analysis of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. He proposes that Rob Kazinsky, who was originally slated to play the role of Fili, actually appears on screen once during the Misty Mountains song sequence at the beginning of the film. However, because he’s mostly in shadow and because the focus, as the camera pans around the corner and into the room, is Thorin Oakenshield with his pipe, Kazinsky’s Fili is easy to overlook.

RedOrmTheViking’s analysis is directly below, with my comments afterwards.

BRITISH actor Rob Kazinsky was originally cast in the role of Fili for The Hobbit films. He can be seen on the first production v-log walking around the Bag End set with other members of the cast during the “blocking” phase of pre-production.

A couple of months after the release of the first production v-log, Kazinsky dropped out of the film just as principal photography began, citing personal reasons. The role would ultimately be filled by New Zealand actor Dean O’Gorman.

Rob Kazinsky at Bag End.
Rob Kazinsky at Bag End.

However, if my suspicions are correct, it appears that one single shot of Kazinsky as Fili made it into the final cut of the film, and it’s when the dwarves begin to sing the Misty Mountains song in Bag End. This is the shot in question (with the brightness kicked up a few notches).
Go back and watch that scene. Fili is the only dwarf in the entire company whose face you don’t see throughout the whole singing sequence. All of the other dwarves are accounted for, and seen very clearly except for Fili, who we only “see” in this single shot.

We know from the early v-logs that the Unexpected Party scenes were the first to be filmed with the dwarf cast. We also know that Kazinsky had already filmed a few scenes as Fili before dropping out of the film. From what little we can see of his face, it’s pretty clearly not Dean O’Gorman.

It’s likely that Jackson cut around showing Kazinsky s Fili for the scene, and in this one particular shot, digitally enhanced the shadows on him to hide his face so our focus is solely on Thorin. Dean O’Gorman was cast not too long after Kazinsky left, allowing Jackson to finish the remaining scenes in Bag End featuring Fili.

Thorin sings the Misty Mountains song with Fili in the foreground on the left.
Thorin sings the Misty Mountains song with Fili in the foreground on the left. Note the similarity in the shape and length of the nose to the previous photo of Rob Kazinsky above.

I found it interesting since — to date — there have been no known images (official or unofficial) released of Kazinsky as Fili.

I should point out that I only managed to spot this after watching The Hobbit blu-ray on a 1080p screen, where it is much more noticeable.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:12 am

Hmm, interesting.

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 35 QD6YTrb

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/07/15/75622-is-there-a-half-glance-of-rob-kazinsky-as-fili-at-bag-end/

Personally, I think O'Gorman's nose looks pretty similar to Kazinksy's (yes, I had to check, and no, I can't believe I just typed this sentence) so I'm not convinced, but the face in the shadows is unclear enough that I can't be certain.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:13 am

Just watched the new Terminater movie as well. Wasn't brilliant, but it was enjoyable.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:15 am

Eldorion wrote:Hmm, interesting.

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 35 QD6YTrb

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/07/15/75622-is-there-a-half-glance-of-rob-kazinsky-as-fili-at-bag-end/

Personally, I think O'Gorman's nose looks pretty similar to Kazinksy's (yes, I had to check, and no, I can't believe I just typed this sentence) so I'm not convinced, but the face in the shadows is unclear enough that I can't be certain.

Well spotted Eldo.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:44 pm

Eldorion wrote:Watched The Hateful Eight today.  We saw the 70mm Roadshow version, which had an overture and intermission and also came up with a nice full color booklet about the film.  Felt a lot like a play in that respect.  Actually, the movie itself was sorta play like, in terms of the very limited scope (most of the scenes take place in a one room cabin, and the main sequence that doesn't is primarily set inside a stagecoach).  I have to think on the film a bit before I can fully discern my feelings or try to compare it to his other films, but the one it reminded me most of is Death Proof.  I don't think it'll be one of my favorites from Tarantino -- it never really came together for me after the very slow (even by Tarantino standards) start -- but even an iffy Tarantino film is still worth seeing IMO.

Watched it tonight, and I f***ing loved it Very Happy I had avoided spoilers, so I didn't really know what to expect, so I just sat back and enjoyed the ride. I've been a huge fan of Walton Goggins since I saw him in Justified, so that might have something to do with why I liked the movie so much. It's funny how Tarantino movies tend to divide even his fans in their opinions, though. All I know is, after tonight I'll probably rewatch some of his earlier films Very Happy

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 35 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:48 pm

Anyone see The Revenant? Thinking about seeing it tonight.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:19 am

I haven't seen it yet, but my dad is quite interested in going so I'll probably see it with him.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:15 am

I went to see The Revenant today with my sister and cousin. I can recommend it based on the strength of its visuals, the involving and gruesome action, and the delightful Tom Hardy's performance (moreso his performance than DiCaprio's, sorry to say).

Other than that, I had some problems with it.

Spoiler:

But still, it's a beautifully gritty film. The sorts of effects and shots and things that we can see on-screen these days is truly incredible. I don't want to spoil anything with false anticipation so I'll just 
Spoiler:

Other than that, Will Poulter was pretty good, but I liked Domnhall Gleeson quite a lot. Except for towards the end of the film anyway. In the first half he was awesome.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:03 pm

I did go last night. But I probably should have gone to a matinee because I began dozing off half way through the movie. This happened to me when I saw The Martian, and I think it happened a couple times when I saw Star Wars for a second time. Overall I probably missed about ten minutes of the movie.

I really liked the visuals, I'm not sure where they filmed all of this but that scenery rivals New Zealand. I agree that Tom Hardy did a great job; Leo did too, but I'll agree with Forest, "Oscar worthy?" I'm not too certain on that.

I was surprised to see Will Poulter, and he did a great job here, but they'll have to recast Eustace if they ever make The Silver Chair.

With the opening battle scene I was a little worried about how they would portray Native Americans, but as the film went on it seemed respectful.

Inarritu really does like his long takes (hidden cuts or no), I think there were a few in Gravity, Birdman (of course), and there are quite a few here. The thing about these is that for me they become distracting. I'm conscious of the long take, I think to myself "Oh there hasn't been a cut yet...was that camera motion a hidden cut? There have been quite a few long takes in this scene." And yeah, that just seems like a personal problem, but while I appreciate the artistry behind it (and it's really nice to see a director move the camera in interesting ways in one long take), it does take me out of the story.

Some of the CGI seemed really cheap. The bear was great, so that's probably where most of the time and resources went; if they didn't sell that sequence then the rest of the movie wouldn't matter to the audience. But some elk crossing a river looked really bad, like early 2000s bad CGI.

So it was good, apart from me feeling like a tired old man and falling asleep in a movie theater.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Recently saw The Hateful Eight. Over all I enjoyed it, a 'woot' as someone may say.

In more detail however, I found it a tad long but understand the creative need for it to be long. The plot in essence being "Two bounty hunters meet up and go somewhere - interesting QT style stuff ensues" which really doesn't do it justice, but is about all I want to say about the film, without giving too much away.

It looks lovely, every shot looks like it was created especially for your visual pleasure. QT has a wonderful eye in all his films, but it really shines here. The films limited locations really allow for some breath taking shots, while it may look like a simple set, it's a set that has had all the love and attention that normally goes into hundreds more locations.

The characters are, as in all QTs films, wonderfully rich(not the money type), larger than life, and mysterious. All of them have depth and quirks, subtle and not so subtle that make QTs characters stand out from other films. As with his other films, the twists and turns of the plot lets us explore the people we see on the screen. By the end, you'll feel as if you've gone through the same journey with them. Albeit without the blood and pain - it is a QT movie after all.

*This more detailed report of the Nagualian Woot Rating Society was brought to you for your education and enjoyment. Enjoy Responsibly.
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:11 pm

Are there any QT foot fetish scenes? If there aren't I'd feel better about going knowing I don't have to sit through a scene where he'd get his rocks off.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:23 pm

*Ahem* Gravity is NOT an Inarritu film, but is directed by the more capable Alfonso Cuaron. 
If this was already known, and the idea was simply to compare two director's similar long-take styles than oops! But let us be clear on this point!

The elk were a bit off I suppose, but not greatly so. The parts where it really mattered for the film to be visually flawless, like in the combat scenes, it was. And so I'm not going to complain about some rushed post-production elk bits. 

A day later, I must say I'm a bit disappointed in the movie: I expected more. Sad
Still, it's great when you're watching a scene and an actor's voice is so pleasant that you just want to sit there and listen to him talk.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Embarassed I got them mixed up. I'm sorry!

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Don't let it happen again!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next