Mrs Figg
azriel
Eldorion
halfwise
bungobaggins
25 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 13 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by azriel Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Just watched "The Theory of Everything". Well that blew my sails away. Very touching film, sad but amazing, Stephen Hawkins life is astonishing ! I feel staggered by it & in awe of the man & what he went thru. Such strong dogged determination to survive no matter what the odds.
Spoiler:

I think I need something funny to cheer myself up Crying or Very sad

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 13 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 13 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 13 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Wolf Hall is really good.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:21 pm

I watched Boyhood. It took twelve years to make.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:23 pm

that's mind boggling
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:41 pm

bungobaggins wrote:I watched Boyhood. It took twelve years to make.

It occurred to be today that nearly everything Boyhood has been praised for in terms of its long pre-planned production and watching actors age naturally was done first by Harry Potter. Trollface
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:08 am

Richard Linklater is a genius. Never before have I ever seen someone grow up on screen. Except for maybe every live-action sitcom, the HP movies, and Ron Howard.

Boyhood

Never before have such mundane situations been portrayed by even more mundane actors. Witness, as a Hayden Christensen look-alike bores you to tears as he acts apathetic towards pretty much everything going on around him.

Boyhood

Marvel, at the wasted talents of Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke (who are the only good things about this movie).

Boyhood

Wonder, as a child meanders through the first stages of his life while no personal events greatly effect him in any way, providing absolutely no character development for the protagonist.

Boyhood: It took twelve years to make.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:39 am

Oh my god, there's even this scene where the kids are running around putting Obama/Biden signs in people's yards during the 2008 election (the film takes place in Texas), and the sister is talking to this woman who's all ga-ga over Obama (fantasizing about kissing him and dreaming about him, etc.) and it just reminded me of Russel T Davies and Doctor Who and how disappointing Obama's presidency turned out to be, and the fact that he was not properly vetted by the American people. Mad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:32 am

The American people voted against Bush in 2000, but for him after Iraq. We deserve whatever we get.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:57 am

Bunch of sadomasochists. Mad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:05 am

I think the reason people are disappointed in Obama is because he's very pragmatic. America's still powerful enough it can afford a non-pragmatist for foreign policy. As far as domestic policy goes, the headwind against any president has been growing stronger for a couple decades. It wasn't as noticeable with Bush because he wanted to be a do-nothing president at home.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:09 am

Well part of the problem is that a lot of people deluded themselves into believing that Obama was a left-leaning candidate when in reality he was decidedly centrist.  I remember my mom going on about how his opposition to same-sex marriage was just a strategic lie that he had to tell in order to get elected.  I'm glad he eventually changed his tune on that, but he's not really a social liberal except by comparison to the hard edge of the GOP.  But I suppose I can't complain too much considering our previous President was talking about an anti-gay constitutional amendment.

Obama's economic policies are also only left leaning by the standards of the last 10 years; even during the Clinton years he would have been a Republican on some issues, but that's mainly because of the overall drift to the right.  If there is one area where I have no reservations about calling him a disappointment, though, it's foreign policy and human rights.  Obama is vastly more competent than Bush, but has just as little disregard for legality and morality when it comes to anything under the heading of "national security".
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:07 am

I watched The Giver yesterday. Perhaps it was just the trouble I've been going through lately, but I actually liked a lot of it. The uplifting part of the themes at least were a really nice change from just feeling crappy all the time.
But then it got pretty low critic reviews so maybe I would have disliked it more if I had read the book.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:39 pm

Eldorion wrote:Well part of the problem is that a lot of people deluded themselves into believing that Obama was a left-leaning candidate when in reality he was decidedly centrist.  I remember my mom going on about how his opposition to same-sex marriage was just a strategic lie that he had to tell in order to get elected.  I'm glad he eventually changed his tune on that, but he's not really a social liberal except by comparison to the hard edge of the GOP.  But I suppose I can't complain too much considering our previous President was talking about an anti-gay constitutional amendment.

Obama's economic policies are also only left leaning by the standards of the last 10 years; even during the Clinton years he would have been a Republican on some issues, but that's mainly because of the overall drift to the right.  If there is one area where I have no reservations about calling him a disappointment, though, it's foreign policy and human rights.  Obama is vastly more competent than Bush, but has just as little disregard for legality and morality when it comes to anything under the heading of "national security".

It's incredible how right-leaning you have to be in this country to get elected, and then to stay in office. The American left needs to grow a spine.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:37 pm

halfwise wrote:I think the reason people are disappointed in Obama is because he's very pragmatic.

I'd like to question the generality of  that assumption Halfy.  Granted there were high expectations for Obama that led to inevitable disappointment among the idealist left (just as there was disappointment with Reagan among the idealist right), but like the good centrist that Obama is (as Reagan and Clinton were) he's been carefully walking the popularity line throughout his presidency, watching the polling as he goes, and doing a pretty good job of it all things considered.  

Gallop has data comparing popularity past presidents throughout their terms. In the last 50 years there have only been 4 US presidents who've made it this far into their 2nd  term.  We're now sitting at about day 2196. At this point in each presidency the ratings go:

Clinton    69%
Obama    49%
Reagan   43%
Bush       32%

Those aren't bad numbers.  Makes me think that for everybody who's disappointed in him there's somebody else who's relieved.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:46 pm

The fact that he's almost exactly at 50% demonstrates what a centrist he is.

Or maybe it's the economy - if it was better he'd at be in the 60's. It's rather unfair how much credit/blame presidents get for the economy. Not sure how the true influence can be measured.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:42 pm

Bloody politicals in the good film thread! Mad

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:45 pm

Sorry Forest. Razz All the 2016 speculating as the campaign kicks into gear has put politics on the mind.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:55 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Bloody politicals in the good film thread!  Mad

And pretending american politics have a left and a centre at that. Rolling Eyes

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:47 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Bloody politicals in the good film thread!  Mad

whats the Giver about? I am sure I was going to watch it but I never did. I am thinking of watching Mr Turner tomorrow, nothing like a good old fashioned genius gumpy bugger to lift the spirits. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:19 am

Not sure if it's been mentioned or not but American Sniper , best movie of its kind I have seen in a very long time. And considering the film is based on this guy's real life. Truly great film. 2 thumbs WAY UP!!!

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:25 pm

No hint of controversy for you then Sin? No feeling it was propaganda,or that the portrayal of the Iraq people was racist and one dimensional?

(I havent seen it yet, just some of the stuff thats its been accused of Ive read about)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:44 pm

I read some things about Chris Kyle that have made me feel apprehensive about seeing this movie, especially paying to see it.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:33 pm

http://www.tessgerritsen.com/gravity-lawsuit-affects-every-writer-sells-hollywood/

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:11 pm

Ooh-er Shocked thats not good.
I watched "Flash of Genius" the other day, its about Robert Kearns & his windscreen wiper invention & how FORD screwed him over. I dunno, some people are money mad & relentless.

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 13 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 13 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:11 pm

da fuq

That's a special level of scummy, assuming it did indeed play out as described.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next