Mrs Figg
azriel
Eldorion
halfwise
bungobaggins
25 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 26 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:02 pm

well Guardians was utterly tedious non stop shouting. mind you Karen Gillan found her niche, blank faced robot. Laughing bit like in Dr Who.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 26 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by Eldorion Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:38 am

What'd you think of the dancing in Guardians? afro
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:42 am

um I switched off at the bit where Darthboring dunked tattoo hulk guy into some yellow gloop. everyone shouted their dialogue apart from Gillan who just stared meaningfully at space. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Fair enough. Laughing

I didn't love Guardians as much as some people did but the soundtrack and humor were enough to keep me interested despite the meh fight choreography and minimal plot. I can understand why that's not enough for everyone, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:10 pm

I liked it Smile I liked Pacific Rim too, I like most things weird, daft or 'WTF was that !?' Very Happy

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 26 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 26 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:11 pm

I loved Pacific Rim, but even I can't defend it against charges of the story being crap. Razz And I'm not sure if it'd have the same effect for me on the small screen.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:17 pm

Hee hee, I loved it when they got in those suits & clunked around

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Guardians was fantastic, granted I haven't seen it since the theater, but I don't think my opinion would change.

Pacific Rim is a lot of fun. Thumbs Up

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:46 pm

I just watched Guardians with a crew of tall ship sailors and alcohol in the lounge of a friendly nearby B&B.
We had to keep turning the volume down for the CGI mayhem scenes and back up for the dialog because the paying guests were complaining.
IMHO it's the perfect way to see this movie Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:01 pm

I was expecting to really like Guardians as it got some good reviews and people seemed enthusiastic, maybe I needed alcohol. Wink
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:49 pm

Most definitely! Nod drunken cheers

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:51 pm

Just saw Pacific Rim - plot is somewhat boilerplate but it was fun. Wish I had seen it on the big screen, for the visuals were amazing and cried out to be immersive.

Guardians of the Galaxy was fun, perhaps a bit over-rated but far better than it should have been. Slight bits of alcohol may have helped.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:56 pm

Interesting - just looked at slides from Guardians and don't remember the characters of Karen Gillan or Lee Pace at all.  Like...nada. Even looking at pictures.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:30 am

I think my expectations for GotG were too high because I felt let down.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 26 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:51 pm

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:16 pm

That was pretty good Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:03 pm

I just saw Testament of Youth (based off of Vera Brittain's memoir) and I thought it really captured the horror (for lack of a better word) that WWI wrought upon families and friends. I won't give anything away, but it didn't jump away from deaths, you had to sit and go through it with Vera which I thought was refreshing and thoughtful.

Also it helps when my favorite boys are in it I love you (Kit Harrington aka Jon Snow, Colin Morgan aka Merlin, and Taron Egerton aka Eggsy from Kingsman) though it also makes it sadder...

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 26 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:12 pm

"I'm old, not obsolete.'

As I am sure you all know, Arnie loves his little movie quotes and that was one of the regulars in the new Terminator movie, Terminator Genisys.

I am going to put the rest of this in spoilers in case someone wants to watch it, however one warning.... if you do then DO NOT.... I repeat DO NOT watch the trailer beforehand. It WILL ruin the movie for you.

Spoiler:

Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Nice review Lancebloke!
I'm not going to see it because it has a 26% on Rotten Tomatoes (4.7/10), but it was nice to read your view of its comparison to the original two.

Speaking of the Rise of the Machines I watched Ex Machina last night. I was not as big a fan of it as so many other people seemed to be when it came out, but it was certainly effective.
The film is shot in Norway (and Pinewood Studios for the interiors) and is really pretty. I liked Oscar Isaac's character the most, because he seemed to be struggling with all this self-doubt and angst about humanity and so on and even though I don't share any of his thoughts the way he was even repeating a sort of mantra to himself in one scene reminded me of my own emotional struggles in a sense.

Domhnall Gleeson is yet again a dewy-eyed twenty-something, a role he seems to be cast in more and more these days. I mean to say that he brings innocence to the role and a certain lack of self-will.

Ava is an excellent creation. I liked her a lot most of the way through the movie. It almost seems redundant or pedantic to point out that the score is great, the editing excellent, the acting very good, the special effects flawless and the cinematography insightful. But there it is anyway.

My main complaint about the film is that
Spoiler:

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Forest - I wondered if the reviews that have been that bad were because they watched the trailer and the whole thing was ruined for them. Otherwise I have no idea how it could have been rated that badly... it is quite a good film.

It is worth it for the recreation of the scenes from T1.. they were great!

I haven't seen the film that you talked about... not sure if I am put off or intrigued.....
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Yeah I don't know what went on with the reviewers. It happens that sometimes a film you like gets trashed.

"Critics Consensus: Mired in its muddled mythology, Terminator: Genisys is a lurching retread that lacks the thematic depth, conceptual intelligence, or visual thrills that launched this once-mighty franchise."

For a futuristic movie about artificial intelligence I massively prefer Spike Jonze's Her. So if it comes down to a choice between that and Ex Machina, choose the former.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:17 am

Saw Ant-Man tonight. It pleasantly surprised me. Lots of funny moments, more comic relief than I expected. I'm more drawn towards the Marvel movies that don't obsess over the Avengers. I really enjoyed Guardians since it was mostly its own self contained story. Ant-Man does mention them and is in that universe, but they didn't dominate the film which was nice.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:21 pm

Watched Zero Dark Thirty (About a CIA agent reaserching and tracking down the location of Bin Laden) the other day, an enjoyable enough way to pass a few hours I suppose, and Jessica Chastain was solid in the lead role, but it was overlong and rather blandly shot (surprising, given Kstheryn Bigelow's work on The Hurt Locker). Things were cast very much in shades of white and Black, there was little to no character development, and a bunch of people sitting around in offices looking at photographs isn't all that exciting to watch be honest, that's not to say I don't mind 'talky' films, but this just felt like a bunch of scenes stuffed together, it didn't flow entirely naturally, I guess I just found it a bit...boring to be honest...

I've read that some took the film's message as promoting the use of Torture in the right circumstances, I'm not going to go into that discussion (though I can understand how they saw things that way), but it did feel kinda jingoistic at points...

5/10 Not a 'bad' film per se, I just don't think it was all that exciting or morally murky for a film about such important events.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:17 pm

just watched 12 years a slave.

Shocked holy crapadoodle. that was intense. I hope it was cathartic to someone, you know, really useful, like Shindlers is useful for Jews and The piano is useful for women.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:35 pm

Yes, very intense film!

I don't know what you mean by catharsis though. The film presents the "realities" of slavery in the south (I mean it's a drama not a documentary, but still far more historically sound than other recent films *cough*DjangoUnchained*cough*). Since there has not been slavery in the south for over a hundred years the effect of the film for those descendants of slaves must be more of a realization that this history has happened and an emotional resonance with one's forbears, and not one of "Ah yes I remember when that happened" as, say, occurred with Schindler's List.

I think I do know what you mean by cathartic, upon further thought, but I would not use that particular word.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next