azriel
Mrs Figg
Forest Shepherd
10 posters

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down

Roll to Dodge! Empty Roll to Dodge!

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:00 am

So I didn't know where to post this and I figured Off-topic would be the most appropriate.
I've been nerding it up rather heavily the last few days and discovered a lovely thing called Roll to Dodge. It is a type of forum game played with our minds and a regular six-sided die. It is incredibly nerdy, but also quite wonderful in its own way. Here is a description: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RollToDodge

I'm not up to starting anything at the moment, but I thought I'd put the idea out there and see if anyone might be interested. The only limitations to the game seem to be... well there nearly aren't any limitations. The free-form of the game allows an infinite amount of variety.
We could have a game as a pack of squirrels inhabiting a section of forest, or set up a realistic version of Jackson's Desolation of Smaug dragon-fighting scene (one in which certain dwarves *cough thorin* would face unpleasantly gruesome deaths!), or play as gods in the vast inkiness of space: creating life and substance as we see fit.

The ideas are endless, and the variations on the rules are endless. I don't wish to get into some kind of DnD-style heavy RPG thing, with charts and stats and combat rules. (As fun as such things can be). Something simple and straightforward, driven by creativity and mutually-agreed upon silliness would be my idea of a good time.

Basically we would have a moderator (we could take turns on this), who would set up the setting and the rules. This can be as minimalist as they like, or as detailed (within reason). A simple visual illustration of events as they unfold would be quite acceptable. I'm absolutely terrible at illustrations, but I checked out some convenient paint/drawing software and tried out a few, and I feel I could create something flexible and easy-to-update that would allow me to illustrate any story I moderated (and that wouldn't look like an awful MS Paint creation).

Anyway, the idea is very nerdy, and might be inappropriate for this forum. It would also require some suspension of disbelief; playing a brand-new high-production value video game this would not be. But I like the sense of community here, and thought I'd contribute in my own way.
Thanks!
Roll to Dodge! Bilbo

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Roll to Dodge! Empty Re: Roll to Dodge!

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:04 am

Roll to Dodge Game List

1. Liberals Vs. Purists: Stick-man Stylee
Introduction on page 1
Game Start

2. The Mystery of Buningca-haye

Introduction and Rules

3. From Beyond the Stars

Introduction and Rules

<<Reserved for List>>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:37 am; edited 6 times in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:09 pm

ok I am in  Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:51 pm

I dont mind, as long as it doesnt have technical names that I have no fooking idea of what they mean !  Laughing

Roll to Dodge! Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Roll to Dodge! Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:We could have a game as a pack of squirrels inhabiting a section of forest, or set up a realistic version of Jackson's Desolation of Smaug dragon-fighting scene (one in which certain dwarves *cough thorin* would face unpleasantly gruesome deaths!)

Sounds fun. Very Happy

Count me in.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:42 pm

cheers 
I shall begin figuring out this bloody illustrator thingummy!
Any votes on first story/setting?

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:33 pm

just blood & guts

Roll to Dodge! Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:01 am

howz about Kings Landing?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:01 am

Whoa now! That's too in-depth for my first try at this.  
I spent a couple hours (far too much time for what I have to show for it) working up an image of a setting that we could try out. Now that's it done though I suddenly am having doubts as to how I could actually get it to work well. I made a great starting theme, but it was just too time-intensive to keep up. Minimalism will have to suffice for now...  Sad

(This get's updated!)

Liberals Vs. Purists! (Stick-man style)
Rules:
1. Players may choose to begin play at any time as one stick-man. They must then play as that stick-man. If they should be utterly obliterated from the world, they may not respawn, but will remain obliterated.

2. One round of play consists of all players involved taking one action (Simply post, in bold what you would like your stick-man to do/attempt to do). This action may be nearly anything, but please take into consideration that this is a test run and so don't push the boundaries too heavily! thanks.

3. Once all players have submitted their actions, I will roll a six-sided die and, following the guidelines in the first post, will list and illustrate, if I can, the results.

4. For the sake of giving this some direction you may spawn as either Team Blue (Purists) or Team Red (Liberals). Game ends when there is noone left. For the sake of enjoyment, please also avoid simply killing off other players immediately. Goodluck!

Roll to Dodge! 14155222887_818d822c3b_n

Roll to Dodge! 14168871999_999646778c_o

Teams:
Blue
Bungobaggins
Pettytyrant

Red
Azriel
Mrs. Figg
Ringdrotten

Alright, here's the map! It's a bit weird for it, but I liked the general open feel of the landscape. The people will look pretty darn big in all of it, but I didn't want to go with any larger resolutions than I did. The visuals aren't ultimately the point after all.
Map!:

(We don't all have the same resolution screens, but if the edge of the forums cuts off part of this image, you can try zooming out. That's what I did and it now fits. I had to resize it once already before I thought of this solution).

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:46 am; edited 24 times in total

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:39 am

I'd like to spawn as a member of Team Blue.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:58 am

Ok, updated with a players list! Those strangely-shaped things are hats, colour-coded for ease.

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:46 am

i have no idea what this is. i thought i did, but i don't.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:02 am

Oh Norc.  Laughing 

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:07 am

Im going with Liberal,  Smile (I like the soft blue splodge beside my name )

Roll to Dodge! Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:47 pm

I have no idea what the rules are yet because you lot write so much interesting stuff its taking me hours to catch up on the forum as it is!!  Evil or Very Mad 

But count me in on the Purist side on principle  Twisted Evil 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Petty has joined!  cheers 
We may begin! I shall add Mrs. Figg to the Liberal side (out of principle) and update the map.
Anyone else may join at any time, simply post in bold that you would like to do so.
Rules are as follows:
1. Every round (starting as soon as I post the updated map), each player may take one action (simple post, in bold what your action will be, in present tense: "Attempt to hunt gophers" etc. (Alternatively, you can just post it in regular font, but colour the letters with an easy-on-the-eyes blue or red) This action, whatever it may be, will be rolled upon by myself, with the following results:
1 = Epic fail. The action was not taken, and backfired horribly.
2 = Fail. Nothing happened.
3 = Partial success.
4 = Success. The action was carried out adequately.
5 = Epic Success. The action succeeded in the most positive way possible.
6 = Overshot. Though the result was achieved, the action backfires horribly due to disproportionately large effort.

2. Once all players currently in the map have submitted their actions, I will list them alongside the die (singular dice) results, and draw the outcome on the map. Feel free to be creative as you like. Think of actions that you could see happening fairly easily on this map. For example, instead of saying "Pave field and build car dealership," try something like "Plant large Baobab tree" or "Dig dangerous well, do not include cover" or "Conjure up spirit of the trees" or "Dig for worms" or "Perform advanced magic to make arms longer."

3. That's it for now, keeping it simple. Here is the updated map, and order of play (post actions in whatever order you like, I will rearrange the actions into this order for implementation on the map though).
1. Bungobaggins
2. Azriel
3. Petty
4. Mrs. Figg
5. Ringdrotten
Spoiler:

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Craft a sling by fashioning the long grass into rope.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:46 pm

And so it begins...  pirat 

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:18 pm

create fire to burn sling

Roll to Dodge! Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Construct distillery  Nod drunken 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:03 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Construct distillery  Nod drunken 

Petty! Mad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:08 pm

This looks fun! Love the artwork, forest Very Happy Perhaps I should join as well. What happens if I miss a round?

Roll to Dodge! Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:25 am

Well I don't want to skip anyone, but if it takes more than a couple days for someone in the game to post I'd probably just have them sleep or something and keep going.
Feel free to join, the more the merrier! (or drunker, seeing what priorities Petty is setting up!)
We're just waiting on Mrs. Figg and I can update the map and finish Round One.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:20 am

Petty!  Mad - Bungo

What? Very sound tactics. First rule of survival- make sure you can get drunk  Nod drunken 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:23 pm

Turn burnt sling into deckchair and order a cocktail.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next