Bluebottle
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
Amarië
Mrs Figg
14 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Alternative Doctor Who/Sherlock thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Alternative Doctor Who/Sherlock thread

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Bungo btw welcome to your first visit to the ongoing Amy Pond War.  Laughing Handbag

its kind of a tradition.  Nod 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Alternative Doctor Who/Sherlock thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Alternative Doctor Who/Sherlock thread

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:17 pm

Oh, boy. :facepalm:

I still maintain the position that Doctor Who is too silly and ridiculous a show to get so worked up about. Y'all are uber-nerds.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Embarassed probably.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:29 pm

so romantic relationship then.- Figg

Yes, but one thats been thought through as being a suitable person, not some girl from earth and not a companion.

'She is not exactly acting like a mature woman who is part Time Lord when she regenerates while 'concentrating on a dress size' and spends the rest of the episode obsessing over her hair, clothes, shoes and weight.'

She makes some comments whilst regenerating and she makes one comment about going shopping. And as I said above one of the reasons I really like Alex Kingstons portrayal is how she portrays River at different ages, this is River right at the start- young and immature and self obsessed and still brainwashed by the Silence.

'needs the love of the Doctor to save her from mental instability'- Figg

She doesnt seem mentally unstable to me, she seems very capable of looking after herslef and spends most of her time doing her own stuff, she even refuses the offer when made to travel with the Doctor permanently.

'Its not the first time you have unfairly accused me of attacking Gillan personally'

Thats because you keep bringing her physical appearance into a discussion of her character, I dont think her appearance is at all relevant to that discussion.

Case in point-

'He can’t stop himself staring up her skirt because she’s just too pretty'

What has her being pretty to do with it?- if I was under a glass floor and my wife standing right above me in a short skirt would I look? You better believe I would take a look. Its human, its male and its honest.
Its also not in an episode, its in a comedy sketch.

'the Doctor has to ask Rory’s permission to hug her?'

You need to be reaching pretty hard to claim that is because Rory treats Amy as his property! Its an acknowledgement between friends of a sticky patch at the start of their collective relationship that has since been forgiven and resolved and which is now diffused by humour between friends, hence Rory's humour replies whenever the Doctor makes the request.

'Bungo btw welcome to your first visit to the ongoing Amy Pond War.'

I recommend a hard hat, and flak jacket, and a bunker, and lots of buckie.  drunken 

'I still maintain the position that Doctor Who is too silly and ridiculous a show to get so worked up about.'- Bungo

Well that attitude wont help you win a Who war! {{Should I just take him out now Figg or will you?}}}

'I don't have two and a half hours to spare at the moment'- Bungo

You can always watch it in parts- and if you want to skip the pregnancy and build up jump to abut 13 minutes in. Its somehow lasted this long on Dailymotion without the BBC pulling it, so maybe itll last a bit longer yet.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:57 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Oh, boy. :facepalm:

I still maintain the position that Doctor Who is too silly and ridiculous a show to get so worked up about.

Would Stannis have that attitude?  No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Laughing I like this chick (((((even though she likes Moffat  Shocked )))))))

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 pm

I would say her first mistake is she has assumed Amy is supposed to be the relateable character, she isn't, Rory is. Amy is part of the plot.
And Rory is quite plain and ordinary, its just for the first time in Nuwho the relateable character is male instead of female.
This fits with classic Who where often the Doctor travelled with more than one companion, many of whom were not relateable for the viewer at all (Turlough, Nyssa, Chameleon ect).
She almost entirely ignores Rory and only focuses on the women just assuming Amy to be the character for the every-person to relate to- now thats sexist!

She also seems to have missed the massive change that occurs in the characters and dynamics after Amy loses her baby- Amy's rejection of the Doctor initially, her losing it with River and pointing a gun at her, the events of the Girl Who Waited- the Doctor deciding they should not travel with him any more and setting them up with a home life and Amy killing Madame Kovarian for what she did to her.

She also says Amy doesn't have a relationship with River because she is in prison, but this is just wrong, River visits Amy and Rory at home all the time after the events at Demons Run and from then on, and also visits them after they are stuck in the past of New York- they have a long relationship. Which just seems to be a mistake on that reviewers part.

Clara- I am waiting to decide on still. I have already said I dont think she is developed enough but now the 'impossible girl' arc has finished we will hopefully get more of her character.
And the computer whizz bit as she puts it is not there to develop her, its there to explain why Asylum Clara can hack the Dalek systems.
She complains about not making the Doctor a female, but it was Moffat who introduced into canon in the show the idea a Time Lord can change sex at all with the Corsair.

The new series doesn't have any female writers, that is true, but it does have a female producer and two female directors (Rachel Talalay and Sheree Folkson).
Getting writers for Who in the time constraints is always hard and since NuWho came back they have tended to reuse writers- almost all the male writers currently writting Who also wrote for RTD (who in his entire tenure as Head only hired 1 female writer who did exactly 1 episode and no female directors- yet I dont remember him being accused of sexism over it)

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:37 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I would say her first mistake is she has assumed Amy is supposed to be the relateable character, she isn't, Rory is. Amy is part of the plot.

Thats just flat out wrong and disingenuous, her character is largely relatable. Most of us occasionally struggle with the demands of adult life and sometimes wish for the simplicity and magic of childhood to save us from bills and work and exams. Amy Pond represents a flat-out refusal to give in. She is stubbornness personified. she fights so she won’t have to grow up and face the dull responsibilities of adulthood. She pouts and she glares and she has a hissy fit, in a an act of stubborness against her impending future.
She is a young woman whose childhood was stolen the Doctor dropped into her life, promised her the world, and then disappeared into the ether, leaving her confused as to whether it had all been a dream or a beautiful fantasy in the first place, thats very relatable. Or are you saying she isnt relatable because of her looks?

And Rory is quite plain and ordinary, its just for the first time in Nuwho the relateable character is male instead of female.

not really, Rory (like Mickey), a figure constantly portrayed as Mr Nice Guy, tries constantly to get her to settle down with him, but it’s not what she wants, Rory is a bit of a drip who takes a lot of shit from his girlfriend and I dont think most men would really want to relate to being a doormat,

This fits with classic Who where often the Doctor travelled with more than one companion, many of whom were not relateable for the viewer at all (Turlough, Nyssa, Chameleon ect).
She almost entirely ignores Rory and only focuses on the women just assuming Amy to be the character for the every-person to relate to- now thats sexist!

nah thats just made up. She is talking about the women because she is discussing sexism

She also seems to have missed the massive change that occurs in the characters and dynamics after Amy loses her baby- Amy's rejection of the Doctor initially, her losing it with River and pointing a gun at her, the events of the Girl Who Waited- the Doctor deciding they should not travel with him any more and setting them up with a home life and Amy killing Madame Kovarian for what she did to her.

not really massive, more a weedy blip

She also says Amy doesn't have a relationship with River because she is in prison, but this is just wrong, River visits Amy and Rory at home all the time after the events at Demons Run and from then on, and also visits them after they are stuck in the past of New York- they have a long relationship. Which just seems to be a mistake on that reviewers part.

Only that relationship is played out in peoples imaginations because it sure isnt on screen

Clara- I am waiting to decide on still. I have already said I dont think she is developed enough but now the 'impossible girl' arc has finished we will hopefully get more of her character.
And the computer whizz bit as she puts it is not there to develop her, its there to explain why Asylum Clara can hack the Dalek systems.
She complains about not making the Doctor a female, but it was Moffat who introduced into canon in the show the idea a Time Lord can change sex at all with the Corsair.

erm thats no excuse, actually Moffat didnt want a woman Doctor because he knows by now there would be an outcry if he tried, as he cant write a decent female character

The new series doesn't have any female writers, that is true, but it does have a female producer and two female directors (Rachel Talalay and Sheree Folkson).
Getting writers for Who in the time constraints is always hard and since NuWho came back they have tended to reuse writers- almost all the male writers currently writting Who also wrote for RTD (who in his entire tenure as Head only hired 1 female writer who did exactly 1 episode and no female directors- yet I dont remember him being accused of sexism over it)
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:11 am

Or are you saying she isnt relatable because of her looks?- Figgs

Dont be silly. I am saying she is part of the plot, her job is not like Rose, Martha or Donna, Amy is the story from the start.
Rory is the everyman.
Its Rory who is consistent and grounded, its Rory who stays the everyman through thick ad thin, he starts as a nurse he ends a nurse (a n we are reminded of his nursing many times inbetween), he grows immensely as a person but he still keeps his feet on the ground, keeps his job, keeps his calling.
Its Rory who pulls the Docter down for reckless behaviour, its Rory who understands the Doctor way more than Amy, who is blinded by her childhood to what he is really like up until God Complex.
Its Rory who reacts to all the strange alien stuff when Amy takes it in her stride. Rory is basically normal.

And Im a guy and I find loads to admire in his character and that is completely relatable.  Shrugging I think he is the best male companion the show has had since Jamie (2nd Doctor companion)

' Rory is a bit of a drip who takes a lot of shit from his girlfriend and I dont think most men would really want to relate to being a doormat,'

see above

'nah thats just made up. She is talking about the women because she is discussing sexism'

I really am not so sure- I think people, and female fans in particular have come to expect in Nuwho that the female companion is there 'in' to the show- when she isnt in this case. NuWho has a consistent companion pattern up to Amy that classic never had. But there seems an expectation that Amy would just be like the other NuWho companions, but she serves a different purpose.

'not really massive, more a weedy blip'

Before Demons Run- running about together, al three of them having japes and scrapes. After Demons Run totally different relationship, Amy and Rory leave the TARDIS to settle down on earth with the Doctor becoming a visitor not a permanent feature in their lives. I think that's significant.

'Only that relationship is played out in peoples imaginations because it sure isnt on screen'

Except where it is you must mean, such as when River visits her parents after the Doctors death.

'Moffat didnt want a woman Doctor because he knows by now there would be an outcry if he tried'

You think he cares what people think as he helms the two largest international drama shows the BBC currently produce? I doubt it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:33 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Or are you saying she isnt relatable because of her looks?- Figgs

Dont be silly. I am saying she is part of the plot, her job is not like Rose, Martha or Donna, Amy is the story from the start.

You said she is not relatable, and I wanted to know why as you havent given me a convincing reason. so I presumed its because she is better looking than most other recent companions,

er yeah so is everyone in the show. They are ALL part of the plot, even the Doctor, so whats your argument?

Rory is the everyman.
Its Rory who is consistent and grounded, its Rory who stays the everyman through thick ad thin, he starts as a nurse he ends a nurse (a n we are reminded of his nursing many times inbetween), he grows immensely as a person but he still keeps his feet on the ground, keeps his job, keeps his calling.
Its Rory who pulls the Docter down for reckless behaviour, its Rory who understands the Doctor way more than Amy, who is blinded by her childhood to what he is really like up until God Complex.
Its Rory who reacts to all the strange alien stuff when Amy takes it in her stride. Rory is basically normal.

But thats not what you were arguing before, ie its only Rory who is relatable, giving me a list of his good qualities does not mean that he is relatable while Amy is not.

And Im a guy and I find loads to admire in his character and that is completely relatable.  Shrugging I think he is the best male companion the show has had since Jamie (2nd Doctor companion)

no Jack is the best male companion

' Rory is a bit of a drip who takes a lot of shit from his girlfriend and I dont think most men would really want to relate to being a doormat,'

see above

'nah thats just made up. She is talking about the women because she is discussing sexism'

I really am not so sure- I think people, and female fans in particular have come to expect in Nuwho that the female companion is there 'in' to the show- when she isnt in this case. NuWho has a consistent companion pattern up to Amy that classic never had. But there seems an expectation that Amy would just be like the other NuWho companions, but she serves a different purpose.

no idea what you are talking about

'not really massive, more a weedy blip'

Before Demons Run- running about together, al three of them having japes and scrapes. After Demons Run totally different relationship, Amy and Rory leave the TARDIS to settle down on earth with the Doctor becoming a visitor not a permanent feature in their lives. I think that's significant.

'Only that relationship is played out in peoples imaginations because it sure isnt on screen'

Except where it is you must mean, such as when River visits her parents after the Doctors death.

'Moffat didnt want a woman Doctor because he knows by now there would be an outcry if he tried'

You think he cares what people think as he helms the two largest international drama shows the BBC currently produce? I doubt it.

No he doesnt care what the female fans want because he is an egotist, he just does what he thinks is kewl, he doesnt give a shit and thats the problem
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 pm

They are ALL part of the plot, even the Doctor, so whats your argument?- Mrs Figg

there are two type of Who companions- the everyday person who gets swept up in the Doctor world after encountering him - Rose, Martha, Donna and Rory and those whose presence facilitates plot elements (classic Who has quite few of these) alongside their character.
The purpose of the everyman character is to make the viewer think 'that could be me'.

Amy is not an everyday person, she has a crack in the universe pouring though her head when she sleeps, she is the mother of someone the Doctor has already met in his past and she is a trap created by the Silence for the Doctor. All before we the audience have even met her.
Her main job is not to be the everyday person swept up by the Doctor- that's Rory, who gets pulled into his world by his love for Amy.
Rory s the everyman. Nothing special, not special in looks, skills or job. Nothing unattainable by the average person.
Saying Amy is part of the plot is not the same as saying she is not relatable, but its not her role to be the person we all imagine could be us getting swept up in the Doctors life in the same way that was the role of Rose, Martha or Donna.

In a sense Amy is like a large scale version of Jack- he has a character, he has a personalty and motivations, but al arge part of his function is to facilitate and move plot along.

'only Rory who is relatable'

I never said he was exclusively the only relatable character, I am saying that his primary function as a character concept.

'no Jack is the best male companion'

Jack has only be in a handful of episodes and not always travelling with the Doctor, usually not in fact, he is a supporting character I'd say, not a companion. But who you think is the best is up to you, for me its Rory. Or am I not alowed to have an opinion on which companions I enjoy and relate to?

'no idea what you are talking about'

Then see my first answer in this post.

'No he doesnt care what the female fans want because he is an egotist..he doesnt give a shit and thats the problem'

I had no idea you knew Steven Moffat personally and so well as to be able to judge his character and motivations!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:They are ALL part of the plot, even the Doctor, so whats your argument?- Mrs Figg

there are two type of Who companions- the everyday person who gets swept up in the Doctor world after encountering him -  Rose, Martha, Donna and Rory and those whose presence facilitates plot elements (classic Who has quite few of these) alongside their character.
The purpose of the everyman character is to make the viewer think 'that could be me'.

This is nonsense, Amelia was an everyday person before she met the Doctor, she is still an everyday person when she meets him as an adult. They all facilitate plot elements. and many thousands of Young girls probably relate to Amy and think 'that could be me' otherwise she wouldnt be so popular. Many thousands of girls who want to be swept off on an adventure like Amy, which makes her relatable.

Amy is not an everyday person, she has a crack in the universe pouring though her head when she sleeps, she is the mother of someone the Doctor has already met in his past and she is a trap created by the Silence for the Doctor. All before we the audience have even met her.

This could be true of Clara as well, she is born to save the Doctor, (which is fairly creepy ) but it doesnt mean Clara isnt relatable.

Her main job is not to be the everyday person swept up by the Doctor- that's Rory, who gets pulled into his world by his love for Amy.

thats just not true, and you know it. Her job is to be the cute girl boys love and girls want to be, thats all.

Rory s the everyman. Nothing special, not special in looks, skills or job. Nothing unattainable by the average person.
Saying Amy is part of the plot is not the same as saying she is not relatable, but its not her role to be the person we all imagine could be us getting swept up in the Doctors life in the same way that was the role of Rose, Martha or Donna.

theres absulutely no difference, she is exactly the same, when she has her first visit to the TARDIS her reactions are typical of all assistants, she has adventures like all assistants, and want to escape from normal life like all assistants, but unlike all assistants she gets nothing back in return in the end

In a sense Amy is like a large scale version of Jack- he has a character, he has a personalty and motivations, but al arge part of his function is to facilitate and move plot along.

er they ALL move the plot along

'only Rory who is relatable'

I never said he was exclusively the only relatable character, I am saying that his primary function as a character concept.

'no Jack is the best male companion'

Jack has only be in a handful of episodes and not always travelling with the Doctor, usually not in fact, he is a supporting character I'd say, not a companion. But who you think is the best is up to you, for me its Rory. Or am I not alowed to have an opinion on which companions I enjoy and relate to?

'no idea what you are talking about'

Then see my first answer in this post.

'No he doesnt care what the female fans want because he is an egotist..he doesnt give a shit and thats the problem'

I had no idea you knew Steven Moffat personally and so well as to be able to judge his character and motivations!

I judge him by his actions, the proof is in the pudding

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 pm

This is nonsense, Amelia was an everyday person before she met the Doctor, she is still an everyday person when she meets him as an adult. They all facilitate plot elements. and many thousands of Young girls probably relate to Amy and think 'that could be me' otherwise she wouldnt be so popular. Many thousands of girls who want to be swept off on an adventure like Amy, which makes her relatable. -mrs Figg

I cant tell if you are just deliberately misunderstanding what I have been saying or if you honestly arent following what I am saying.

Of course Amy is still relatable, of course lots of people still, especially young girls, including my own nieces, are huge fans of hers- but she is not the ordinary everyday person of former NuWho companions.

Rose is a classic example, we get a whole day in her ordinary life before she meets the Doctor just to emphasis how ordinary her life is-  work, boyfriend, chips. The holy trinity of British ordinary life. They drum in just how ordinary she is to start with to give the audience an immediate 'oh she is just like us' feel.

Amy is not just like us, she has the universe pouring through her head when she sleeps among other things, but Rory is.
Rory has no special powers like the ability to bring people back through memory, there is nothing at the start exceptional about him, he is quintessentially ordinary, a sort of Who Arthur Dent.

And I do wish you would put things yourself and in your words rather than just posting vids of other peoples opinions, they are not here to discuss the issues with or to answer back.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 pm

Yes, really Figgy, your know only the stuff Petty posts is relevant.

So now Amy is not the girl next door anymore, but a bizzare unnatural plot element we're not ment to relate to. she's a humanbeeing, it's unnatural not to relate. All companions are relateble, and I get that you can't relate to being pregnant and giving birth in a box, but I can. The hospital sketch with Monthy Python is very much how me and Finrodfelt during Em's birth. I know contractions are not just a wee bit of ouchies, hearing the word "PUSH“ and hey presto! Several days old baby and newly washed hair, no sleepness nights or breastfeeding worries. ( This is such a soap opera wrapping, as if ANY soap opera birth birth goes by without any trouble.)

I'm not saying they should have shown the birth in all it's glory, but a fraction of reality would be nice.
Amy is badly written, that's the thing you see as intended unusualness. All the Newho campanions are special. A crack in the wall. The time wortex in your head, Dr Who missionary travelling the world, timelord for a day. Same shit, new redhead wrapping. Amy's story is unique, but so are the others.

Last edited by Amarië on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:36 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:This is nonsense, Amelia was an everyday person before she met the Doctor, she is still an everyday person when she meets him as an adult. They all facilitate plot elements. and many thousands of Young girls probably relate to Amy and think 'that could be me' otherwise she wouldnt be so popular. Many thousands of girls who want to be swept off on an adventure like Amy, which makes her relatable. -mrs Figg

I cant tell if you are just deliberately misunderstanding what I have been saying or if you honestly arent following what I am saying.

you arent making sense thats why

Of course Amy is still relatable, of course lots of people still, especially young girls, including my own nieces, are huge fans of hers- but she is not the ordinary everyday person of former NuWho companions.

yes she is

Rose is a classic example, we get a whole day in her ordinary life before she meets the Doctor just to emphasis how ordinary her life is-  work, boyfriend, chips. The holy trinity of British ordinary life. They drum in just how ordinary she is to start with to give the audience an immediate 'oh she is just like us' feel.

Amy is not just like us,

yes she is

she has the universe pouring through her head when she sleeps among other things, but Rory is.
Rory has no special powers like the ability to bring people back through memory, there is nothing at the start exceptional about him, he is quintessentially ordinary, a sort of Who Arthur Dent.

Amy doesnt have special powers, everyone can think ergo everyone can do what Amy did.

And I do wish you would put things yourself and in your words rather than just posting vids of other peoples opinions, they are not here to discuss the issues with or to answer back.

Its my thread I will post what the heck I like.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:39 pm

your know only the stuff Petty posts is relevant.- Amrie

I never post someone elses argument to represent my own and not put my own argument out there in my own words.

My main problem with it is that person is not here to discuss it with- it would be ore appropriate to post on their youtube comments in response to it than here. Its pointless.

"Amy is not the girl next door anymore, but a bizzare unnatural plot element we're not ment to relate to. she's a humanbeeing, it's unnatural not to relate."

I never said any of that- is there anything else you'd like to make up off the top of your head and then attribute to me?

'Amy doesnt have special powers, everyone can think ergo everyone can do what Amy did.'- Figg

I had no idea you draw things back into existence that had fallen out the universe.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:48 pm

How bout bringing back the dead? Making a person who can't die? Who did that I wonder?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:56 pm

''I had no idea you draw things back into existence that had fallen out the universe''. Petty

now whos being silly? of course I can.  Suspect 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:57 pm

Amy- that is my entire point about her in a nutshell Amarie- she is not a normal everyday person. Rory is, Amy isnt.

Rose, Martha, Donna- they share one thing in common they are normal people to whom an extraordinary thing happens- getting involved in the Doctors life and that changes them.

Amy is already involved in the Doctors life before she even appears in it. We the viewer dont instantly know it, the Doctor and Amy dont know it, but the writer does and that's the important thing.

The Doctor: You asked me why I was taking you with me and I said "No reason." I was lying.
Amy: It's not important.
The Doctor: Yeah. It's the most important thing left in the Universe. It's why I'm doing this. Amy, your house is too big. That big, empty house, just you.
Amy: And Aunt Sharon.
The Doctor: Where were mom and dad? Where was everybody who lived in that big house?
Amy: I lost my mom and dad.
The Doctor: How? What happened to them? Where did they go?
Amy: I— I don't...
The Doctor: It's okay, it's okay. Don't panic. It's not your fault.

The Doctor: There's a crack in time in the wall of your bedroom. And it's been eating away at your life for a long time now. Amy Pond. All alone. The Girl Who Didn't Make Sense. How could I resist?

The Doctor: Because you're special. That crack in your wall, all that time. The universe pouring into your head. You brought Rory back. You can bring them back too.

When comparing companions Rose, Martha and Donna should be compared with Rory, as they serve the same technical purpose in the writing. Amy does not, she serves a different purpose to previous NuWho companions.
This doesn't mean she cant be liked, she cant be human, or she cant be related to in other aspects of her character- that's not my point- I am talking about the purpose in the narrative as a character from the stand point of writing a narrative. The characters function is inherently different to other companions, and from Rory.

of course I can.- Mrs Figg

Well I  seem to have misplaced some buckie, any chance you could bring it back?  bounce

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:00 am

I never post someone elses argument to represent my own and not put my own argument out there in my own words. Petty

Who said I posted Youtube stuff to represent my own? I post stuff which I find interesting, or amusing, or thought provoking, I suppose you would be ok with it if they were 100% pro Moffat.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 am

You placed it in the middle of a conversation we were having on the subject without a word of explanation, as if to say just watch this and see how right I am this person agrees with me- thats the message it gave me anyway.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:08 am

So, how are you attacking me for making things up, then repeat that Amy is not normal and not relateable? I think you drank that Buckie you accuse Figgy of, and need to go to bed. I will, night night.

Last edited by Amarië on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I hatez phone editing and it hatez me back)

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Amy- that is my entire point about her in a nutshell Amarie- she is not a normal everyday person. Rory is, Amy isnt.

Rose, Martha, Donna- they share one thing in common they are normal people to whom an extraordinary thing happens- getting involved in the Doctors life and that changes them.

Amy is already involved in the Doctors life before she even appears in it. We the viewer dont instantly know it, the Doctor and Amy dont know it, but the writer does and that's the important thing.

The Doctor: You asked me why I was taking you with me and I said "No reason." I was lying.
Amy: It's not important.
The Doctor: Yeah. It's the most important thing left in the Universe. It's why I'm doing this. Amy, your house is too big. That big, empty house, just you.
Amy: And Aunt Sharon.
The Doctor: Where were mom and dad? Where was everybody who lived in that big house?
Amy: I lost my mom and dad.
The Doctor: How? What happened to them? Where did they go?
Amy: I— I don't...
The Doctor: It's okay, it's okay. Don't panic. It's not your fault.

The Doctor: There's a crack in time in the wall of your bedroom. And it's been eating away at your life for a long time now. Amy Pond. All alone. The Girl Who Didn't Make Sense. How could I resist?

The Doctor: Because you're special. That crack in your wall, all that time. The universe pouring into your head. You brought Rory back. You can bring them back too.

When comparing companions Rose, Martha and Donna should be compared with Rory, as they serve the same technical purpose in the writing. Amy does not, she serves a different purpose to previous NuWho companions.

this is pure fantasy, its verging on bizarre. Clara was born to save the Doctor, she has a claim to being 'special' in some way. She is like one of those unfortunate kids born to save a sibling. No choice in the matter. Amy serves the exact same purpose in the writing as any of the other assistants, there is no way you can mythologize her as there is absolutely no difference or anything special about her, and she was not born special like Clara was. Having a crack in the wall does not turn her into a super human, she is ordinary.

This doesn't mean she cant be liked, she cant be human, or she cant be related to in other aspects of her character- that's not my point- I am talking about the purpose in the narrative as a character from the stand point of writing a narrative. The characters function is inherently different to other companions, and from Rory.

Absolute hogwash. Her purpose is the same as all the other assistants, only the Doctor fucks her up worse than the Others save poor Clara.

of course I can.- Mrs Figg

Well I  seem to have misplaced some buckie, any chance you could bring it back?  bounce

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:15 am

No I was complaining you were twisitng what I said to misrepresent it-

"So now Amy is not the girl next door anymore, but a bizzare unnatural plot element we're not ment to relate to"

Which I did not say and I hope my last post makes clear what I was saying.

But looking for that quote I missed replying to this bit-

"I know contractions are not just a wee bit of ouchies, hearing the word "PUSH“ and hey presto! Several days old baby and newly washed hair, no sleepness nights or breastfeeding worries"

We don know how long she as in labour for as when Flesh Amy starts feeling pain is most likely when it got to bad to block from the signal, as if she could feel her 'real' body the whole time it would give the game away.

Its also clear from Good Man Goes to War that the baby is being cared for by Kovarians lot, and Amy basically has the equivalent of visiting rights, she gets to be with her baby only for periods of time and then they take her away again.

this is pure fantasy, its verging on bizarre.- Figg

No its basic creative writing 101

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next