halfwise
Norc
Pettytyrant101
Radaghast
Eldorion
28 posters

Page 24 of 38 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31 ... 38  Next

Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 24 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by malickfan Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:00 pm

A short and interesting interview with the Tolkien illustrator Ted Nasmith:

https://www.lotro.com/en/u21-Ted-Nasmith

Surprised he was involved with an illustrated edition of Unfinished Tales as visual as some of the writings included are, I would have thought the fragmentary nature and varied tone of the writing included (not to mention the extensive editorial commentary) would have made illustrations distracting, or hard to harmonize in tone, that said there's some stunning pieces of writing included in that volume (especially the abandoned Fall Of Gondolin rewrite, and The Mariners Wife) and Nasmith remains my favourite Tolkien illustrator, so if Harpercollins ever decide to reconsider that project they'd have my full support and money...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 24 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by malickfan Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:09 am

https://www.lunapresspublishing.com/single-post/2017/08/16/Aragorn-J-R-R-Tolkiens-Undervalued-Hero-Pre-order-now

The original edition of this book was reviewed by Christina Scull on her blog a few years ago:

https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com/2014/05/31/aragorn-part-one-2/

I've read good things about this book before, will certainly consider buying a copy eventually...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:30 am

{{Looks interesting. Nod I read a similar book on Aragorn many years ago that was essentially a book length rebuttle of a critics words, claiming Aragorn had 'all the nobility and character of a good horse' (or words to that effect, was a long time ago!) but it covered some of the same topics- especially regards the significance of his decision to use the palantir to confront Sauron. }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 pm

https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2017/08/bbc-radio-4-to-broadcast-tolkien-in-love-drama/

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien and Edith Mary Bratt first met in 1908. They were both orphans living in a boarding house in Birmingham. Despite the difference in their ages and religions – she was 19 and Protestant, he was 16 and Catholic – they fell in love.

When Ronald’s guardian, Father Francis Xavier Morgan, found out, he forbade him to see Edith again until he came of age at 21. Ronald reluctantly obeyed and later left the city after winning an exhibition to Oxford. Edith went to live in Cheltenham. At midnight on the night he turned 21, Ronald wrote to Edith declaring his undying feelings. Unfortunately, in the intervening years, she had got engaged to someone else. He raced to her in Cheltenham, they walked through the countryside and Ronald had one chance to win Edith’s heart.

Their love was the inspiration for the Beren and Luthien story at the heart of Tolkien’s novel The Silmarillion.

Starring Will Merrick (Skins, The Rack Pack) as Ronald and Claudia Jessie (Line Of Duty, Their Finest) as Edith. Tolkien In Love is based on real events and written by Sean Grundy, whose previous work for Radio 4 has been Sony and Tinniswood Award nominated.

Writer: Sean Grundy
Producer: Liz Anstee

A CPL production for BBC Radio 4.

I don't think I've heard of this before, or if I did I'd forgotten about it. Could be interesting I guess? If anyone in the UK tunes in I'd love to hear what you guys think.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:03 pm

I don't really listen to the radio, but that sounds...intriguing? Not sure there's much real drama to be told there, and no doubt the script will embellish real events, but I if remember I'll tune in, it will probably be available on the Iplayer shortly afterwards anyway.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:03 pm

https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com/2017/08/13/visiting-tolkiens-publishers/

So it seems there is little chance for an expanded edition of The Letters for now...I live in hope...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:24 pm

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/lily-collins-tolkien-nicholas-hoult-1202542929/

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:37 pm

Id watch that, could be a good film if handled sensitively. Has Tolkien ever been out of favour ? Not really. If not about books there's films, radio plays, The Stage, even music with Rock bands naming themselves after anything Tolkienish Smile He also inspired so much creativity in Art & often Ive noticed people have named him & been responsible for whatever those people are doing. Without realising its full potential Tolkien really has created a world so real one could almost swear it existed.

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 24 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 24 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:47 am

Hum.

I don't know about that. I don't much care for the title, for one. If that is the title. Seems to me that middle-aged or old-Tolkien must be a more interesting person than young-Tolkien, so choosing to make a movie about young-Tolkien will necessarily highlight the young-person romance of the story at the expense of... I don't know, a look into his creative process? Hmm... Hum... I feel like Fangorn here: my thoughts are slow to form.

Why are the British putting out biopics about their national heroes that cast attractive young actors and emphasize romance? I'm thinking of The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything, I suppose, but perhaps that isn't fair.

Churchill, for example, has not been treated to a young version of himself in a movie yet, or rather, not since 1972.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:27 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/tolkienfans/comments/70zmji/an_english_catholic_priest_with_the_approval_of/

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Didn't take long for them to start bickering Smile if you read the comments after the story. I haven't made up my mind about sainthood ? I believe in different things but, I don't criticize other faiths or religions. If you want to make a saint of someone then what harm can it do ? It keeps their memory alive & helps make them more noticeable. For me, how can you ignore &, once read, forget Tolkien ? I cant so, that's enough of a blessing on him for me Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 pm

{{Never really got the whole Saint thing- I mean if Tolkien is now existing in the presence of God then he is already one whether the Church say so or not. And if they declare him one and he is not there, it wont change anything. So not sure what the point of it all is really. But then I think that about religion in general- whats the point supposed to be? (I dont mind criticizing Azriel! Nod ) }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:41 pm

Very Happy
I think people are allowed to believe in what they feel comfortable with, just because I don't believe & in all honesty think most of it is a bucket of cold porridge is not up to me. I believe in good old common sense & try to put yourself in the other persons shoes, if they are suffering or, if they are not, what are you gripping about ? Smile turn your ideas & physical actions into good use. If you go around hurting people, when you are caught you deserve what you get & no God is going to help you now. I feel freer for not being held to anything. I don't want the pressure of a religion telling me what or how. Some people need that tho. And if it helps them & they find peace then ok. Does it make you a weak person because you need a prop ? A prop from the one thing that CANNOT be beaten on elusiveness, a God ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:03 pm

Does it make you a weak person because you need a prop ?- Azriel

{{{ Maybe, maybe not, but either way it shouldn't merit things like seats in the House of Lords to affect actual real laws in the modern world, or charitable tax breaks when they hording and raking in the cash off the poor, or the exemptions they get on Church land they own ect ect- I dont think modern law should be based in or give any special treatment to what under any other circumstances would be classed as a mental delusion! (claiming to live your life according to a book written thousands of years ago by primitive desert tribes transmitted into their minds by unprovable, invisible universe creating super-being no one else has ever seen or heard from. If religion had not already been invented long ago, it would never be invented now.)}}}

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:34 pm

I personally agree with you. But, I don't mind saying that as we both seem to have the same views. And NO, religion or faith should not affect privileges, gain you extras or provide you a certain standard over & above anyone else. It should not be used as a veil to cover goings on that may not be entirely legit either !!

Last edited by azriel on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:15 am

Not sure if the person who wrote that summary really understands how sainthood works since Tolkien has never, to my knowledge, been credited with any miracles. Canonization in the Catholic Church requires two "verified" posthumous miracles, which usually entails healing somebody. I guess maybe he could qualify for some of the lower levels of distinction? I don't really know enough to say for sure.

EDIT: Also, there's a pretty major inconsistency between the title and the actual "article":

Title wrote:An English Catholic priest, with the approval of the Church, has officially begun the early process of declaring Tolkien a Saint!

Body wrote:On Saturday 2 September, a Traditional Low Mass was held at the Oxford Oratory to mark the anniversary of the death of world-renowned Catholic writer & philologist JRR Tolkien (+ 1973). The Mass was offered, however, not for the repose of Tolkien's soul – but rather praying for his Cause for Beatification to be opened.

So, has the Church officially begun the cause, or is this just a group of randos praying for God to, I guess, convince the Church to open an investigation? Somehow I find the second possibility to be a lot more plausible.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:09 pm

I was thinking the same thing, where's the miracles?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:25 pm

https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com/2017/10/18/working-on-the-readers-guide/

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:28 am

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/tolkien/52749/tolkien-movie-starts-filming-in-northern-england

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/showbiz/hollywood-stars-descend-ellesmere-port-13783662?service=responsive

Colm Meaney has been cast as Tolkien's guardian Father Francis Xavier Morgan.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:56 am

{{{I like Colm Meaney- good actor, good track record Nod I'm guessing Lily Collins plays Edith Tolkien, she certainly looks the part as an inspiration for Luthien bounce

Lily Collins
The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 24 Lilycollins

Edith Tolkien
The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 24 Tolkien_edith

Though dont know her work at all }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:49 pm

She's more elven than the original.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Lily (good name for someone in a Tolkien film) daughter of Phil, was in a film about Snow White with that person playing a prostitute from the Julia Robert's film with that Lancelot from the King Arthur film with Sean Connery in it.

For example.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:38 pm

{{ Ah well surprised I didn't recognize her instantly then! Lore Masters! Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:14 pm

The Daily Mail (no, I don't normally read it) has a article on the biopic with some set photos and a bit of new info-it sounds like they are going to include the TCBS stuff, I'm guessing this biopic is largely drawn from John Garth's book Tolkien And The Great War , which IIRC actually starts with a Ruby Match...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5016185/Nicholas-Hoult-covered-mud-set-Tolkien-biopic.html

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:07 am

Elthir wrote:Lily (good name for someone in a Tolkien film) daughter of Phil, was in a film about Snow White with that person playing a prostitute from the Julia Robert's film with that Lancelot from the King Arthur film with Sean Connery in it.

For example.

Bloody heck!
Hrm... Julia Roberts. Check. And... Oh it's Richard Gere. But not Richard Gere in Snow White, but in Pretty Woman and First Knight. (Talk about a naughty entendre there, eh?    Wink ) Lancelot exercising some jus primae noctis up in there!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 38 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31 ... 38  Next