halfwise
Norc
Pettytyrant101
Radaghast
Eldorion
28 posters

Page 16 of 38 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27 ... 38  Next

Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by malickfan Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:08 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
malickfan wrote:https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/realise-minas-tirith#/story

Good luck to them...they are going to need it...
OMG WHERE DO I SIGN UP?

bouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncecheersqueen

As I said above, maybe we should sponsor a brick, we are the Second Biggest (though almost certainly the nuttiest) English Language Tolkien Forum afterall...

Just imagine the grass debates we could have No

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: The General Tolkien News Thread

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:13 pm

they only have £16 its a bit short of £16 billion they need. Suspect plus it really has to be on a mountainside otherwise its silly No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:21 pm

So £16 in 15 hours=£1.06

£1.06x 24 x 60=£1536(ish)

They might have been a tad optimistic Neutral

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:22 pm

Indoor plumbing? scratch

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:32 am

malickfan wrote:Once again you've put a suspiciously large amount of thought into this Eldo  Laughing

Well my dream was always to win the lottery and then build my very own hobbit hole mansion somewhere nice, but yes. Laughing It's hard not to after visiting Harry Potter World in Florida and seeing how well they pulled that off.  Though obviously there's a big difference between theme park facade and fully functioning replica city, but Universal did a really good job integrating HP elements into even the most mundane things IMO.  The closest LOTR equivalent is probably the Hobbiton set tours.*  There's still no interiors there, of course, but they rebuilt the facades with permanent materials and are caring for the area.  If nothing else, I'll always be grateful to The Hobbit films for making the Hobbiton set not so desolate anymore.  I'm sure it was cool to visit in like 2008, but I always found the photos of those empty whitewashed facades to be really depressing.

*I should say the closest publicly available equivalent.  The fully livable Hobbit hole on Peter Jackson's estate probably comes closer.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/69739340/what-lies-beneath-sir-peter-jacksons-house

(For some reason I can only find sources from this summer, but I swear I saw a video years ago where some actor said he'd visited PJ's home and in addition to the hole there was also an underground train.)
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:18 pm

This is an excellent resource:

http://parmarkenta.blogspot.co.uk/

And speaking about Tolkien themed theme parks wasn't there a rumour last year WB were planning one?

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:22 pm

There have been a couple rumors including some random town in Spain (that may or may not actually have received permission).  I suspect any project that actually appeared viable would be the subject of a legal challenge from the Estate unless they have a change of heart.  No idea who would win though since AFAIK the terms of the sale of rights to LOTR have not been made public.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:41 pm

malickfan wrote:https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/realise-minas-tirith#/story

Good luck to them...they are going to need it...

At least they selected fixed funding, because there's no way they're going to reach their goal.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:40 pm

I hope they succeed for no other reason that it seems like, on the surface, the stupidest idea ever.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:27 pm

its not stupid Suspect but I would make everyone wear costume and ban cars otherwise it would be stupid. Laughing whats stupid is not having it on a mountainside. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:07 pm

The illustrator Jef Murray has passed away, I don't think he was necessarily one of the better known Tolkien illustrators, but certainly a talented man with a distinctive style all of his own, you can see some of his illustrations on his website here:

http://www.jefmurray.com/gallery/middle-earth/

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Cripes, he was only 55 !! what a shame ! I looked at the sketches 1st Malick,then onto his other works. I liked his style. Thats all its been lately is people "popping" off Sad

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 16 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The General Tolkien News Thread - Page 16 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:30 pm

I honestly don't think I've seen any of his work before, but it's very nice. Certainly a distinctive style as you say, and I don't mean that as a backhanded compliment. 55 is too young. RIP.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:22 pm

I like 'Dawn at Laketown' nice to see Laketown not looking like a scabby shit hole.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:06 pm

I certainly hope they don't make Bilbo's hole look like a scabby shithole. Suspect

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Orwell wrote:I certainly hope they don't make Bilbo's hole look like a scabby shithole. Suspect  

This sentence might need a bit more context Orwell Shocked

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:05 pm

people have said that about my hole before now, Malick Wink

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:10 pm

azriel wrote:people have said that about my hole before now, Malick Wink

Shocked silent Embarassed

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:14 pm

I live in Rushock Bog, Lower Very Happy
{{{ might be something to do with the frogs ? }}} Shrugging

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Marshy holes down that way Nod

Orwell!!!! cheers pub (Its your round)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:21 am

Err.. just need t pop off for alittle whiles, Petty... Surely will buy that round at the right time..... pale

{{{Azzy - if I might suggest... err.. the assistance of a general practitioner --- or faith healer... Embarassed }}}

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:33 am

Show of hands: do you guys prefer nasty, dark, dirty wet holes, or dry, bare, sandy holes with nothing in it to eat?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:39 am

Well judging by the state of my own its a dirty hole for me, one that no matter what I try to entice her with I just cant get Figgs to give a good scrubbing too Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:56 pm

Ah.. um.. well.. the agony of choice.. I guess.. Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:24 am

Evan Palmer has created a brilliant illustrated version of Ainulindalë (Music of the Ainur), the first part of Tolkien's Silmarillion. It tells of the creation of Middle-earth & the origin of the Powers that shape its destiny.

http://www.evanpalmercomics.com/ainulindale

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 38 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27 ... 38  Next