ESPN on "The Hobbit"

4 posters

Go down

ESPN on "The Hobbit" Empty ESPN on "The Hobbit"

Post by Beleg Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:42 am

I wasn't sure where to post this so I started a new thread. ESPN was running some funny bits related to TH: DOS today, all with Scott Van Pelt. Here is the only one I've been able to find so far, but I saw at least one other that was funnier than this one on the show today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OJ2MCIof60&feature=youtu.be

Beleg
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

ESPN on "The Hobbit" Empty Re: ESPN on "The Hobbit"

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:48 am

I was surprised that they're targeting the sports demo so much.

All those commercials on NFL games, and now ESPN.

But I guess it's not too surprising. The big macho men that watch football must like big action movies! (I watch football on occasion by the way, so I'm not knocking anyone who does, I'm just trying to think like a person who has no soul (a marketing professional).)

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:14 am

I liked this one:

http://www.ava360.com/sport/svp-russillo-hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-legolas-video_b31a263cc.html

Beleg
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:16 am

Had not seen this one, just stumbled onto it:

http://www.ava360.com/sport/svp-russillo-hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-tauriel-video_058c376dc.html

Beleg
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:17 am

Those were actually quite funny. Laughing Reminds me of some of the NBA movie tie-in ads, except not bizarre and awful. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:19 am

bungobaggins wrote:I was surprised that they're targeting the sports demo so much.

All those commercials on NFL games, and now ESPN.

But I guess it's not too surprising. The big macho men that watch football must like big action movies! (I watch football on occasion by the way, so I'm not knocking anyone who does, I'm just trying to think like a person who has no soul (a marketing professional).)

I would have been confused a couple of years ago, but I had a roommate in my junior year of college who was waaay into sports and fantasy leagues and all that. It made me realize that there actually is not that much of a difference between devoted sports fans and devoted fans of a movie/book franchise. They're both quite geeky hobbies in the end. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:28 am

Except jocks and sports enthusiasts can do it without it being considered nerdy  Laughing 
They are fairly similar though.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:54 pm

[quote="Eldorion"]
bungobaggins wrote:
I would have been confused a couple of years ago, but I had a roommate in my junior year of college who was waaay into sports and fantasy leagues and all that.  It made me realize that there actually is not that much of a difference between devoted sports fans and devoted fans of a movie/book franchise.  They're both quite geeky hobbies in the end. Very Happy

I love football (American football) and specifically I love to follow my college alma mater...used to be a season ticket holder, follow recruiting in the off season, etc. I DO NOT play fantasy football. I have neither the inclination nor the time. I don't consider following football the way I do to be nerdy. I definitely consider people who get into fantasy football and spend many, many hours per week on it to be extremely nerdy on par with many of the stereotypically nerdy things that people do. I personally only know one person who plays it. On the contrary I know that my enthusiasm for Tolkien crosses over into nerdiness. I haven't played D&D since I was a teenager some 30 years ago, but I've read LOTR and TH several times and get about as twisted up as PettyTyrant over details being fouled up in the movies, particularly ones that could just as easily been done correctly, so yeah, nerdy there.

Beleg
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down