Norc
Eldorion
18 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 23 Empty Re: Sherlock - BBC [3]

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:00 pm

yes, that is very much in character. 

and everyone now a day drinks, petty, and i don't think sherlock meant to get drunk, i thought he had some sort of plan, but john just got him drunk.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:05 pm

Norc wrote:yes, that is very much in character. 

and everyone now a day drinks, petty, and i don't think sherlock meant to get drunk, i thought he had some sort of plan, but john just got him drunk.

Alcohol consumption in England has actually fallen in recent years.

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB06166/alco-eng-2012-rep.pdf
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Sherlock didn't get that drunk on purpose, he had a plan and John messed with it. I think it was a good guess on how Sherlock might act while drunk, his fine tuned brain machine failing. (Though they probably should still have had the brains to NOT take a case. Though I guess Sherlock might have thought he was still up to it and insisting, him being so bright and superior to other regular folks.)

The wedding speech only lacked some sad violin music to be a typical tear jerker American sitcom/romantic comedy speech. Sherlock - who couldn't find a single nice thing to say in episode one - suddenly had so many nice things to say, apologizing more than once and everybody loved him cause he was so cute and funny. Almost accidentally saying something nice is more his way, accidentally making a long and moving wedding speech is a bit off.

Last edited by Amarië on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Norc wrote:yes, that is very much in character. 

Alcohol consumption in England has actually fallen in recent years.

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB06166/alco-eng-2012-rep.pdf
Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 23 Tumblr_inline_mjh4kwWLC31qdjtxa

that has nothing to do with my point. and if it did, it is a very bad counter-point.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Am, he had two years realizing how much John meant to him. it was just finding the words (and i guess lestrade helped him)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:13 pm

Norc wrote:that has nothing to do with my point. and if it did, it is a very bad counter-point.

You claimed that everybody drinks nowadays (with the implication that Sherlock getting drunk was a reasonable part of the modernization of the story).  That's the part I was responding to.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:15 pm

i meant like every grown up person (well, almost everyone) goes to the pub and has a beer or something heavier, even my parents and they are super boring, and anyhow it is stag do! bachelor party! who doesn't go out? not john at least, and of course he drags sherlock along.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:17 pm

Two years? He did realize anything during those years, he just assumed John was sitting around waiting. If anything it is Mycroft saying that John will leave him that makes him realize that John matters to him. Oh that was a poorly written sentence...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 23 It_sno10
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Norc wrote:Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 23 It_sno10

Laughing

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Amarië wrote:Two years? He did realize anything during those years, he just assumed John was sitting around waiting. If anything it is Mycroft saying that John will leave him that makes him realize that John matters to him. Oh that was a poorly written sentence...

yeah? what did u mean?

i at least meant that he had two years missing sherlock, then a couple of days realizing he might not get that back, so yes, he has a lot of nice things to say about sherlock.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Great stuff, maybe, in a different show- just not so sure about for Sherlock.

Well, I might be at risk throwing some shit on the fan here, but I think that goes for this series' portrayal of Sherlock in general. Holmes isn't a sociable guy, but he's not that antisocial. In the books he is both sympathetic and empathetic, and able to treat people with common decency. I've not seen much of that so far in this show, save the odd scene here and there. They've overemphasised his negative attributes, in my opinion. It's an entertaining and well-written show, and one of the better Holmes shows, but Sherlock himself isn't the one you get to know in the books (it's modernised, yes, but that's hardly an excuse to make a smart guy from the late 1800's into a case for the psychologists).

My two gallons of fuel added to the fire  Sofa 

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 23 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Norc wrote:i meant like every grown up person (well, almost everyone)  goes to the pub and has a beer or something heavier, even my parents and they are super boring, and anyhow it is stag do! bachelor party! who doesn't go out? not john at least, and of course he drags sherlock along.

Are you really claiming that "everyone" holds bachelor parties, and not just that but "everyone" gets shitfaced at them? I'm not sure if you're taking the piss here or not.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:26 pm

Amarië wrote:Two years? He did realize anything during those years, he just assumed John was sitting around waiting. If anything it is Mycroft saying that John will leave him that makes him realize that John matters to him. Oh that was a poorly written sentence...

*cough* Ok perhaps there was a time or two during the previous season as well. Wink

But the best man thing I believed he approached as he did with the getting John suitably drunk at the right time, getting the facts and being very analytical about it all. Poor Lestrade probably had a big headache when he left from trying to explain it all to him.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:31 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Great stuff, maybe, in a different show- just not so sure about for Sherlock.

Well, I might be at risk throwing some shit on the fan here, but I think that goes for this series' portrayal of Sherlock in general. Holmes isn't a sociable guy, but he's not that antisocial. In the books he is both sympathetic and empathetic, and able to treat people with common decency. I've not seen much of that so far in this show, save the odd scene here and there. They've overemphasised his negative attributes, in my opinion. It's an entertaining and well-written show, and one of the better Holmes shows, but Sherlock himself isn't the one you get to know in the books (it's modernised, yes, but that's hardly an excuse to make a smart guy from the late 1800's into a case for the psychologists).

Where's a "Jamie wants big boom" clip when you need one? Oh well, this is good too. Smile

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:

well, to be honest i ahe actually watched an interview with the writers adress just this.

in the BBC show we meet the pair much earlier than in conan doyle, they're younger. what we see during season one and two (and what i think is changing now in series 3) is the change from this odd being to the sherlock holmes we know from Conan Doyle. As is is said, he could have gone both ways. as lestrade says "sherlock holmes is a great man, and one day, if we are very very lucky, he might be a good one". John makes him a good man, the good man Sherlock Holmes, and that is what the BBC show is about. it's not about crime, not a detective show, it's a show about a detective, a detective and his friend watson, their friendship and how they help each other become the best of them.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:35 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Norc wrote:i meant like every grown up person (well, almost everyone)  goes to the pub and has a beer or something heavier, even my parents and they are super boring, and anyhow it is stag do! bachelor party! who doesn't go out? not john at least, and of course he drags sherlock along.

Are you really claiming that "everyone" holds bachelor parties, and not just that but "everyone" gets shitfaced at them?  I'm not sure if you're taking the piss here or not.

i am a bit taking the piss cus you're being very pedantic. no, ofcourse not everyone has bachelorparties, but most people do. among most people is actually John Watson. And john watson would endeed have a bachelor!. he doesn't strike me as the type who wouldn't as bachelor parties are very common in britain (and elsewhere).
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:37 pm

I say as Grondy used to; Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already made up.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Rolling Eyes u only say that because you're afraid of loosing Wink

also.. is noone reacting to the fact that sherlock turned into this gay-friend-who-now-is-a-wedding-planner-and-omg-it's-very-important-everything-is-perfect-persona?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:44 pm

Amarië wrote:Poor Lestrade probably had a big headache when he left from trying to explain it all to him.

And then he had to go and explain it to the rest of the London police force.

Then again, maybe they would all get "It's Sherlock."  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Don't forget compulsive napkin folder and secret dancer. The whole episode is a fanfic bonanza. Laughing

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 23 Tumblr_myzy6p0UKm1qb40t4o1_500
Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 23 Tumblr_myzy6p0UKm1qb40t4o2_500
*smaug flashback*
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:49 pm

They make a good argument, I'll give you that, but I still think they overdid the craziness. That, and they wouldn't have met at that age, so if they were making that kind of show, Watson shouldn't have been in it.

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 23 Fueltofire

Wink

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 23 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:49 pm

Amarië wrote:Don't forget compulsive napkin folder and secret dancer. The whole episode is a fanfic bonanza. Laughing

and am i complaining Very Happy nope Laughing

also it is kinda sad that he loves to dance, but he didn't have anyone to dance with at the wedding Sad
and he was so sweet to the head-bridemaid or whatever she is called Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:53 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:They make a good argument, I'll give you that, but I still think they overdid the craziness. That, and they wouldn't have met at that age, so if they were making that kind of show, Watson shouldn't have been in it.

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 23 Fueltofire

Wink

Sherlock - BBC [3] - Page 23 Sherlock-EyeRoll
you know you're just fueling the fire.. but that is at least the angle they chose to hit it from..

*sniggers* angle to hit it from Laughing
opp-ned, bakfram speeeeeeeilvendt......
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next