chris63
Mrs Figg
halfwise
Pettytyrant101
azriel
19 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 37 Empty Re: Religous debates and questions [2]

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:25 pm

Well that's rather strange. What's wrong about making sculptures or statutes of animals?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 37 Empty Re: Religous debates and questions [2]

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:37 pm

It's a spillover from the prohibition against idolatry.  Apparently the representation of a living thing is a gateway drug to praying to it.  Note that most Muslim art in mosques and palaces are purely geometrical.  There is a long  Persian tradition of painting that could not be stifled, but even they would keep it out of the mosques.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:16 am

God hates fun! Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:19 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:God hates fun! Mad

Spoken like a true Calvinist :carrot:

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:10 am

Always amazed that the French, a race with the sexual morals of a cat, produced John Calvin!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 37 2015%2B-%2B1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:50 pm

Maybe God needs better PR!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:22 pm

creative juices will flow out despite the party poopers. I love how the Islamic countries couldn't depict god figuratively but instead used a riot of geometric pattern and floral design instead.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:57 am

This was an interesting talk that I watched a few months ago.

I don't know what the actual truth is, and I'll probably never find out, but I like hearing new theories, and I've never seen someone argue this specific point with backed up evidence.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:25 am

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 37 2015%2B-%2B1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:28 pm

bungobaggins wrote:This was an interesting talk that I watched a few months ago.

I don't know what the actual truth is, and I'll probably never find out, but I like hearing new theories, and I've never seen someone argue this specific point with backed up evidence.

That was amazing! I thought I was too busy to watch more than a few minutes, but couldn't tear myself away and went right out and ordered both his books.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:43 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Maybe God needs better PR!
I'd say so!

Regarding that image though, I agree. I've never been able to accept that those who haven't heard of Christ or were born before his time are just out of luck. I don't know anyone who has specifically stood up for the idea (except my grandmother perhaps, I'm not sure) but I'd say it definitely goes against the idea of a god who is a God of Justice.
These days who hasn't heard of Jesus, but the more important issue is probably about wanting to know the answers to life. Well, that and being aware that the things we do can hurt people and we need to lead lives that help others. That's how we're supposed to be, I figure.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:53 pm

The Mormons fixed that little moral dilemma. In their cosmology those who have not accepted Christ go into a purgatory that is more of a limbo. There Christ wanders among them, and they get one last chance - then it's either thumbs up or thumbs down.

But there's still something fishy going on with baptism, and they are running constant proxy baptisms of every name they can get their hands on. Downright thoughtful of them, I say.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:19 pm

Who's to say whos got the right answer though. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:49 pm

One of my favorite bits on this topic was in one of those Christian pamphlets that get handed out. It turns out that one of the references christ made to Hell was to the midden heap behind Jerusalem - souls would be cast out like garbage. Of course over the centuries and especially with modern sanitation it had fallen into disuse and had become rather grown over.

So what they had was a picture of a somewhat pleasant looking garden-like field, with the caption "THIS IS HELL".

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:59 pm

I always found the dualist, cathar, R'Hlor (which was based on dualism and the cathars) approach to religion quite interesting. It basically states that the earth we live on now is the only hell, and we are captured in it by the God of the old testament. Some dualists claiming the devil is the way out Gods prison. Though they wouldn't see God as God and the devil as the devil, of course. I don't know, but it's an interesting way to see things. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Watched that vid and thought it very interesting.
I have always viewed Jesus as a historical figure- there are one or two questions therefore I'd need answered about the premise he is not.
One would be some things thrown up by the NT in terms of the writing which dont seem to make sense if they were purely inventing, and others would be historical based, such as the Roman records which show that his descendants were brought before a Roman official to determine if they were a potential threat or not, after examine their hands and concluding they were farmers they were set on their way- thats from Gibbons Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire I think. Seems an odd record to falsify if Jesus wasn't real given the official line is there was no family.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:30 pm

I do wonder about Paul's interactions with the supposed brother of Jesus and other references to his family as early leaders of the church. Once I get the book I'll find out, hopefully.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:56 am

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 37 186

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:44 am

Thumbs Up Smile

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 37 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Religous debates and questions [2] - Page 37 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:27 pm

A lot of people rationalize their way through broken relationships...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:23 pm

yup
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:31 pm

Getting back to a question Figgy posted, then deleted while I was in the midst of responding, so in retribution I deleted my response...and well, anyway:

If a Jihadi is killed and ends up with 70 virgins (not 70's virgins; such things didn't exist), where did they come from? I have to assume the jihadi count is much smaller than the general population, but that's an awful lot of women who have to die at a tender age to supply the stream of jihadis. And then we have age problems, as I assume people don't age in eternity. Maybe this idea of not aging is waived until you reach puberty? Is Paradise full of randy teenagers?

The whole concept doesn't strike me as very well thought out.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm with Billy Connolly on this who said who wants 17 virgins? give me 1 filthy fire breathing whore instead Twisted Evil

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:30 pm

halfwise wrote:Getting back to a question Figgy posted, then deleted while I was in the midst of responding, so in retribution I deleted my response...and well, anyway:

you post Jihadi you Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next