halfwise
David H
Norc
Eldorion
php111
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My FOTR book has 2 books? Empty My FOTR book has 2 books?

Post by php111 Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:14 am

Honestly, I wasn't going to post on this forum cuz it seems like "I'm not wanted here". Anyway, my FOTR book and inside the book it has 2 books, so does that mean my next book I could buy ROTK? Or do I need to buy TTT? I'm thinking my FOTR book has 2 books and book 2 would be TTT? Or am I wrong and both books are FOTR?

php111
Burglar

Back to top Go down

My FOTR book has 2 books? Empty Re: My FOTR book has 2 books?

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:41 am

The Lord of the Rings was written as a single novel but was published in three volumes: Fellowship, Two Towers, and Return.  However, LOTR also consists of six "books", which are a separate division.  Each volume consists of two books, so you'll still need to buy TTT.

Also, please don't make passive-aggressive comments about other people, especially not in a new thread.  Thanks. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:24 am

honestly i wasn't going to respond to this, but where do u get the idea that you're not "wanted here"?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:34 am

Hi Php. Like Eldo said, FotR, TT, and RotK are each divided into two "books" inside, but it's all one big story with no real stopping point. You need to get all three.

If people hadn't wanted you here they wouldn't have kept trying to answer all your questions.

I think the misunderstanding was that people were doing a lot of work to provide you with links and information to answer all your questions, (and you had a LOT of questions!) and you didn't seem to be saying thank you very often.

So how are you enjoying the book so far?
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:55 am

and accusing people of not answering PMs when u send four in half a day when people are at sleep or out having a life.

Last edited by Norc on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by php111 Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:47 am

Norc wrote:and accusing people for not answering PMs when u send four in half day when people are at sleep or out having a life.
I'm very sorry!

php111
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:56 am

why do u not answer my questions? why do u feel not wanted and why do u accuse pepole of thinking that you're not wanted? 

i don't care if you're sorry or not because it hasn't actually affected me that much, but i'de like to know why (as said above) u feel left out and not welcomed, what have we done wrong? we've answered what you've asked and kept the life going in your threads. if we have done something wrong, please tell us what and we can figure out if there is something that needs to change.

if u cannot pin point what exactly  we have done wrong so that we can do something about it, discuss it, make it better or something, then i find what u are saying about being ignored, left out and not welcomed rather offensive.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by php111 Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:03 am

Cuz of what is "currently" being said if my off-topic thread and as you can see I automatically left that thread.

Why was my above post was edited and who edited it? I'm only curious and just asking.

php111
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:16 am

you're post wasn't edited, no mods are online and it would have said if it was edited. 

and what has "currently" been said that you find so offensive? i am only trying to meet you here and find a solution. if someone feels left out that's not we want anybody here or elsewhere to feel.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by php111 Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:17 am

Eldorion wrote:The Lord of the Rings was written as a single novel but was published in three volumes: Fellowship, Two Towers, and Return.  However, LOTR also consists of six "books", which are a separate division.  Each volume consists of two books, so you'll still need to buy TTT.

Also, please don't make passive-aggressive comments about other people, especially not in a new thread.  Thanks. Wink
Thank you!

Norc, and Eldo: what would both of you say that your favorite volume would be out of the three volumes?

php111
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by php111 Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:19 am

Norc wrote:you're post wasn't edited, no mods are online and it would have said if it was edited. 

and what has "currently" been said that you find so offensive? i am only trying to meet you here and find a solution. if someone feels left out that's not we want anybody here or elsewhere to feel.
Are you saying I don't have to feel that way?

php111
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:30 pm

now it seems that you are the one ignoring. did u not see what i wrote above? i am saying if u do feel this way, please tell us why and we can perhaps find a solution. u keep saying u feel left out and ignored, and i wanna know what we at this forum have done to make u feel so so that we can stop doing that.

i am saying we don't want u to feel that way.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by php111 Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Norc wrote:now it seems that you are the one ignoring. did u not see what i wrote above? i am saying if u do feel this way, please tell us why and we can perhaps find a solution. u keep saying u feel left out and ignored, and i wanna know what we at this forum have done to make u feel so so that we can stop doing that.

i am saying we don't want u to feel that way.
Alright it's what u wrote in another language and I did use the google translate and it was about me being a troll and that's the way I took it.

php111
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:52 pm

well.. if you'de know google translate, you'de know it suxs at decoding northern-norwegian dialects. it says i am troll. edit: and pretty much the whole translation is rather inaccurate.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by php111 Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:11 pm

Norc wrote:well.. if you'de know google translate, you'de know it suxs at decoding northern-norwegian dialects. it says i am troll. edit: and pretty much the whole translation is rather inaccurate.
I'm sorry and I understand!

What would be your favorite volume out of the three volumes?

php111
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Now, now...it's hard to read feelings into text, which is why all the stuff flying back and forth doesn't look so good right now.

Php, you are very welcome here.  Just remember that we have people from all over the globe here, often busy, so you have to expect a day or so between responses.  Also as said on the other thread you kept asking for information we kept trying to tell you was purely a matter of personal preference.  

In the first half of the Fellowship of the Ring the main characters meet the elves, who turn out to be very wary about giving advice.  They are wise elves.  We cannot guide your life: which edition of the books you got are a matter of your personal preference alone.  When we answer some questions but not others it's because some answers are purely factual, some are matters of personal preference.  

It does become a bit annoying when someone keeps asking you to tell them what their favorite color should be.  That's when people start acting upset.

As for my favorite volume, it used to be the Two Towers because you get introduced to the orc culture, but recently (as in recent decades!) I've been drawn more and more to the Return of the King, with it's higher language and ideas.  But of course you can't separate them, they are one continuous story.  After you've read them through once or twice you can go back and visit your favorite parts.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:46 pm

php111 wrote:
Norc wrote:well.. if you'de know google translate, you'de know it suxs at decoding northern-norwegian dialects. it says i am troll. edit: and pretty much the whole translation is rather inaccurate.
I'm sorry and I understand!

What would be your favorite volume out of the three volumes?
my very favourite is the equipe 2 volume centenary of the tour book but it's French Wink

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:02 pm

I did a google translate once from Ebay, it was about a Norwegian Christmas decoration & google came back with a thing about pineapples ? !

My FOTR book has 2 books? Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

My FOTR book has 2 books? Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Norc wrote:it says i am troll.
You are a troll Norc. Of the very worst kind! Mad 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:13 pm

just read the books. when you have read the books come back and ask our preferences, and you can discuss what you like about the books, just asking about the editions and volumes serves very little purpose. you are very welcome here, it is a Tolkien forum and we discuss Tolkien, we hardly ever discuss editions uless its a new illustrated one, but unless you ACTUALLY read the books there isnt much to discuss further.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:22 pm

Ive gone back to reading LOTRs again, its only my 4th time & Im half way thru at the mo, I never get tired of reading it & I know, with the level of description, excitement, anticipation, the in depth knowledge of the characters, I know I never will tire of reading it ! IL never part with my books ! They are tantamount sacred ! Ive seen many books of LOTRs & The Hobbit, & Im tempted to buy them only because the covers differ, inside the story is the same. The way Tolkien describes his world makes it impossible to accept its all made up !! It feels more factual than,say, Robin Hood ! Nod 

My FOTR book has 2 books? Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

My FOTR book has 2 books? Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:45 pm

As far as the story, I don't have a favorite book. Once I open the cover of any of them it's like opening a window into a different world.

But RotK is probably the most useful volume because in addition to the last two books of the story, it has the index to all three volumes. It can be very useful when you're reading LotR for the first time because it can help you keep the names of all the people and places sorted
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by php111 Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:55 pm

In my opinion any copy of a book will be fine as long as the book is readable. Mass Market books are like $7.99 and under, trust me they go cheaper than that. My FOTR book was $3.95 + $3.99 for shipping & handling without sales tax. I haven't read the book yet but I love the purchase I made. It's a Ballantine Books, not fancy and its a new copy and of course it's readable. I don't really need a fancy copy. I don't need one maybe to show off but I don't want too. My next two books are both going to be Mass Market books. I don't want anything fancy. Any copy is great, any cover is great as long the book is in a good condition to read then for me it doesn't matter as long as its all good.

php111
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:01 pm

let us know when you have read them
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:02 pm

That sounds perfect Php. Thumbs Up 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next