Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
David H
23 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Petty's Purist LotR Edits [2] - Page 26 Empty Re: Petty's Purist LotR Edits [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:07 pm

I am a big fan of series 1- but it pretty much stands alone and is by far the roughest round the edges and most experimental.
Killer snails though- that goes a long way. Laughing

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Hold on! :facepalm: I've norced my own bloody thread! Banghead

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:08 pm

I think I like Elizabethan Blackadder the best, Rick mayall as Lord Flasheart woof woof!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:43 am

Is that a canoe in your trousers. Laughing

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:44 am

Just for you Mrs Figg

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Embarassed oh I say!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:54 pm

I saw the Elizabethan Blackadders years ago on Public television and loved them. The ones you sent are the WWI ones which I'd never seen, but judging from the 1st episodes are just as hilarious, though as you say they're a bit darker. My grandfather fought in the Great War, as did a small handful of the greybeards in our community when I was growing up, so it's set in a much more real time and place for me.

There are 9 Who's that I can't open: Autumn Special, 11th Hour, Time of Angels, Flesh and Stone, Hungry Earth, Cold Blood, Pandorica, Big Bang, Dr's Wife. What have I got to look forward to? {{I'm hoping there's at least a few Amy episodes so I can judge for myself what all the squabbling is about Laughing}}

I've just finished Family of Blood, and Blink is next on my list. I'm trying to ration them, but I know that when I get to the end of these I can turn right around and start at the beginning again and still get something new.

But would you please say a few words about why you like Robin of Sherlock? I only watched the first episode and intentionally stopped before the crabbit set in. I liked the prison break well enough, but I was finding myself starting to shout things at my cat like "What's the #$@#*&^# Necromancer doing is Sherwood Forest?!!!" ... "WTF?!!! Little John is a zombie orc????"

I want to give it a fair chance, but you need to reassure me that the main theme is still Everyman's rights and civil disobedience to oppressive government.

You probably should know that I grew up watching the Errol Flynn Robin Hood at least once a year, roaming our forests stalking real deer with toy bows, and swinging out of trees on long ropes to attack the King's Men (who now that I think about it looked a lot like my little brother.) So I may have to work to keep an open mind.....
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:03 pm

The Autumn Special is Waters of Mars- easily the best of the specials- the 11th Hour is Matt Smith's first episode as Doctor and the intro of Amy (and Rory)- the other epiosdes are not all of, but major story beats in the series 5 story arc- The Doctors wife is series 6

Robin of Sherwood is one you might need to give time too, at least the main episde run, rather than the film length pilot- yes there is magic in it, of a sort. Robin and the people of Sherwood he protects are Herne worshippers, their right to worship is one of the things Robin is defending.
It is an overly strong feature of the pilot but through the series it reflects a more realistic world view for the English of the time than usually represented, withj Chrisitianity as an imopsed foreign religion.
Robin is Herne's Son, the Hooded Man, protetor of the forests and the hunted.

The main theme is most definetly still the everyman who fights wrongs for the good of is people though- that has not changed. It just also has a more pagan flavour to it than usual.
(And yes they still swing down on ropes from trees and rob the rich. Its just a bit more historically grounded)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:32 pm

There is a speech by Robin in the pilot which should reassure you David-

Robin- You were sleeping. You slept to long, we all have. It's time we woke. Time we stopped running. Nobody ran at Hastings.

Wll the Fletcher- No, they stood and died by their thousand.

Robin- But at least they died fighting.

Will Scarlett- That's an old battle to bring up. It was a long time ago.

Robin- And what has happened to the English since then, Will? I mean, where are they? Stay away from trouble? Do as you're told and they will leave you alone? Is this the spirit of England? Villages destroyed so Princes can hunt unhindered. The people bleed white to pay for foreign wars. No voice! No justice! No England!
Well, its time to fight back.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:43 pm

I'll give it a try when I'm done with the others. I am interested even if it turns out not to be for me. Could you tell me a bit about justification for evil wizards? Do they add something to the story, or should I just try to ignore them? My first thought was that the writers had inserted them so as to have a villain who was less controversial to hate than bureaucratic taxation of the people.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:53 pm

No the magical elements just reflect the views of the people at the time. Within the premise of the story religion is, if you like, real- there is actual power in the Bible, but also in the old Gods.
In that sense the magic in the show folows the logic, so the so the devil can possess people, and Herne the Hunter can choose a People's Champion.
The main thrust of the tale remains the same, it just weaves these mystical elements as well as historical ones into the stories.
And there are episodes where the mystical side is a major device and others where it doesnt come into it at all.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:14 pm

are there Druids?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Yes, sort of, there is a Village Elder who is like a Head Priest, and there is a more Druidy character who Herne speaks through.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Watched your newest version of The Hobbit tonight, Petty. I see you've put Galadriel back in, which worked well, I think, and added some travelling scenes. The flashback to Dale worked well too. Also nice to see that Oin's horn isn't broken this time Smile From your previous edit I think what's been improved the most is the eagle scene - excellent work on that one, I had to watch it twice. You've managed to save a lot of footage without making a mess of it and still keep it in line with the book. Apart from that I can't remember if you've changed much since the last edit. The quality is excellent and there are no sound issues this time Smile I got to say, this might very well be your best edit so far, though that might be because there's so much Tolkien in TH that when you remove all the added crap, what's left is actually a very good adaptation. I can only recommend it to all of you who didn't like the theatrical cut. I for one will never watch that version again if I can avoid it - I'd rather stick to this edit instead Smile

Petty's Purist LotR Edits [2] - Page 26 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:32 am

Glad you enjoyed it Ringdrotten.
I decided to put that Galadriel/Gandalf scene back in, not becuase I particualrly like it, I dont- but it felt necessary to keep the films flow and show Gandalf was otherwise engaged whilst the dwarves set off.
I am particualrly pleased you enjoyed the ending, as it was probably the trickest action scenen to redit and went through quite a few different attempts.
Although my own personal favourite bit of editing is Thorin's "So this is the hobbit" line right after he arrives at Bag End, as I was missing a Bilbo reaction shot I put it over Thorin walking around Bilbo, and by one of those quirks of the editing Gods it even looks lipsynched to him saying 'hobbit', despite the fact in the original he is saying something completely different. I love it when something just works when you dont expect it too.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:10 am

"Although my own personal favourite bit of editing is Thorin's "So this is the hobbit" line right after he arrives at Bag End, as I was missing a Bilbo reaction shot I put it over Thorin walking around Bilbo, and by one of those quirks of the editing Gods it even looks lipsynched to him saying 'hobbit', despite the fact in the original he is saying something completely different. I love it when something just works when you dont expect it too." - Petty

Thought there was something new about that scene! I couldn't remember how the scene goes in the original cut, so I didn't know whether my memory was just lousy or you had actually done some editing there. Smooth Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:35 pm

New edit? Shocked I want it! Mad

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Well you know where to get it Orwell!

so I didn't know whether my memory was just lousy or you had actually done some editing there.- Ringdrotten

The fact you didnt notice is praise enough for me Ringdrotten!
(Did you also notice I changed the dialogue in the troll scene so they say burrahobbit? There's a couple of minor jump cuts because of it that I think I got away with but at least it stops me grinding my teeth at the unnecessary change to burglarhobbit. Mad )

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:03 pm

Yeah, I noticed. I didn't mind burglarhobbit as much as I can imagine you did, but burrahobbit is of course preferable Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:12 pm

burglarhobbit isnt even a joke thats what annoys me, its just stupid. Mad
What were they thinking?
Martin is a fantastic natural comedy actor, he would have pulled off a flusterd Bilbo making the bur-a-hobbit line funny and the equally brilliant and inexplicably absent, 'lots, none!' sequence. When you have comedy acting talent like that why take the books brilliant humour and jokes out and replace them with a snot gag and an overlong fight? Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Because PJs mind is infantile & he thinks the general public is also. That we can so easily be humoured in such a crass way. Plus,he assumes only a handful have actually read the book, & what harm can a few "purists" do anyway ? mmm ?

Petty's Purist LotR Edits [2] - Page 26 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Petty's Purist LotR Edits [2] - Page 26 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:(Did you also notice I changed the dialogue in the troll scene so they say burrahobbit? There's a couple of minor jump cuts because of it that I think I got away with but at least it stops me grinding my teeth at the unnecessary change to burglarhobbit. Mad )

I didn't notice you complain about that when the movie first came out so I thought I must have misheard that line. It annoyed me and I figured any change that annoyed me must have annoyed Petty at least ten times as much. Very Happy

Glad to know I'm not the only who was irked by that though. Razz Burrahobbit is one of the more famous jokes from the book; changing/removing it makes no sense at all. :/
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Mmm, yes, I noticed that also, I was stunned at why PJ changed Burra-hobbit for Burglar hobbit !, WHY ?

Petty's Purist LotR Edits [2] - Page 26 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Petty's Purist LotR Edits [2] - Page 26 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:19 pm

I havent seen the film in English yet so I missed all those details. thats why I want to see Pettys edit.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:56 am

Send me a mem stick Mrs Figg like Dave did- that seems the best way for you if you cant download it from my skydrive.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next