David H
Norc
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Lancebloke
16 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Aliens - Do they... don't they? - Page 5 Empty Re: Aliens - Do they... don't they?

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:32 pm

Lance well at least where you work its a glam kind of place I bet with nice bars and eateries. theres a lot worse.
You remind me of Richard Mayhew, maybe one day you will meet a Door.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Aliens - Do they... don't they? - Page 5 Empty Re: Aliens - Do they... don't they?

Post by Lancebloke Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:16 am

Yes figgs... lots of 'nice bars' but no bloody McDonald's or KFC to be found. I can actually see the closest one from the window and it puts me off going.

CC12 35. You reply to about 7 other threads but not me! You really must not like me.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:55 am

i know it aches
how your heart it breaks
and you can only take so much
walk on walk on
CC12 35
CC12 35
Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:56 am

Suspect
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Aliens - Do they... don't they? - Page 5 Mini-graphics-aliens-and-space-872204

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Your meeting not go so well CC? :/
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu May 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Just like Smaug,  this thread has been necromanced! Blame YouTube.

I made the mistake of watching some UFO stuff today. Forget Roswell and Rendlesham... has anyone seen documentaries around the Phoenix Lights? Thoughts?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu May 22, 2014 6:13 pm

Aliens - Do they... don't they? - Page 5 38586

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu May 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Unless they want to research stuff on us, like 'lab rats' ? Praps thats all Aliens think we are fit for ??

Aliens - Do they... don't they? - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Aliens - Do they... don't they? - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu May 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Maybe... A lot of people seem to think that I'd all some animals are worth. A species that could be millions of years ahead of us may think the same of humans.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 22, 2014 6:38 pm

Tyson's analogy is great!

Joseph Campbell (if you are deep into historical sci-fi you know the name) wrote a story with the analogy of American Indians coming upon modern Americans. The moderns wouldn't know how to light a fire or skin a buffalo, they'd seem downright primitive in their eyes.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu May 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Praps Ive seen to many sci-fi films but, I always think of Aliens, (if they do exist ?) as being mentally way ahead of us, & see us as worms, mainly because we are so lacking & behind them, in technology, everything. I also think 'we' are so vain as to think 'we' are the be all & end all of the universe ? 'we' are the top of the food chain ? & because we have this thing called Religion, therefore we are as close to a God as can be & probably will be included in a heavenly domain along side all other Gods when we 'pop off' ? Be interesting to know IF Aliens exist & IF they have any religions of their own ? Do they have the same problems between religions as we do ? How many Gods ? or just one God ? Do they have an equivalent of our Satan, Devil ?

Aliens - Do they... don't they? - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Aliens - Do they... don't they? - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 22, 2014 7:54 pm

I doubt humans will ever evolve past the animal. We cant judge aliens by our own limited way of thinking. they may not have need of a moral code, we only need it to keep the murdering and theiving to a minimum, they probably are so advanced that they dont have basic animal instincts therefore dont need to control them with made up morals or religion. They probably wouldnt use us as lab rats either, they will have so scientifically and technologically advanced they wouldnt need us to experiment on. any culture advanced enough to find us wouldnt need our planet for resources either, water and minerals being freely available on meteors etc. they probably have the capacity to harness supernova and star trekky stuff we cant even comprehend. We are just slightly more intelligent monkeys with a huge capacity for violence and destruction, why would they be interested in us?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu May 22, 2014 8:11 pm

They might be interested for that very reason. Maybe a piece of their own history that only exists in memory the same as we are interested in ancient Egypt or the Inca.

Wouldn't you be fascinated to see the first time fire was discovered? Or the first powered machine being switched on? Would be like that for them.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 22, 2014 8:14 pm

assuming they have human emotions like curiosity, their brains may work completely differently to ours.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu May 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Maybe. Maybe not.

Might be they are at war somewhere are need live beings to test things on.

Might be sadistic and enjoy torturing.

Might be interested but very shy.

Might have a prime directive.

Might be planning an invasion because we offend them.

Might be tourists.

Lots of might bes there.

Anyway... anyone seen the Phoenix Lights thing?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 pm

most of those mights are human characteristics, like making war or being sadistic, I dont think we could begin to understand them.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Doesn't mean they won't share them. Or that it might be completely to eradicate us rather than for our planet.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 22, 2014 8:41 pm

I doubt they'll be more alien to us than sea creatures or insects.  We study those, I'm sure aliens would be perfectly happy to study us.  And I'd think some would be perfectly happy to snatch our resources while others would have high moral standards (at least as we think of them).  It's a big universe, lots of variation.  But anything that lives has to want resources, and anything advanced has to have some concept of working together for common good.  The age old battle between 'self' and 'community' will still apply.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu May 22, 2014 8:43 pm

What if they're communists?

Aliens - Do they... don't they? - Page 5 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 22, 2014 9:05 pm

Then they'll have a revolutionary council that's probably several thousand years old, and they'll be wanting caviar.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu May 22, 2014 9:13 pm

They may not need resources and there might not be anything we could offer them. I am not sure what we could offer a race that are thousands, if not millions of years older than us unless they are peaceful.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Our nice warm, wet planet.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 22, 2014 9:19 pm

We study ants just for the intellectual stimulation (i think this has more to do with it than claims about understanding our ecosystem has benefits), but we also plop houses on top of anthills.

I'd hope we are interesting enough to keep around. But as we often aren't interesting enough to other human beings to keep around I really don't know.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 22, 2014 10:01 pm

I think us being a planet of completely bonkers mad people might be the problem- I still say we are in some sort of quarantine for the good of all he other races in the galaxy.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next