Back to top Go down

Star Wars   - Page 17 Empty Re: Star Wars

Post by chris63 Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Star Wars   - Page 17 1175377_10200224301804058_1783959082_n

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:12 am

I've been thinking about the prequel trilogy a lot lately (unfortunately). I can't seem to get it out of my head some times, and there's a big thing in it that bothers me, and I don't think it's something that RedLetterMedia covers in the Plinkett reviews.

The thing that bothers me a lot is that the prequels make the galaxy seem really small. Sure there are new planets and some new characters, but there's also too many familiar faces who are both main characters and secondary characters.

Like Boba/Jango Fett and Chewbacca. Chewbacca was cool and Boba Fett was, for me, one of the coolest characters in the original trilogy, and the less we knew about him, the better. Why did these characters need to appear in the prequel trilogy? It doesn't make much sense. If you take them out, their absence wouldn't drastically alter the course of the films.

Why does Jango have to be the person all the storm troopers were cloned from? Why does Boba have to be a clone of Jango? (Lucas put the coolest bounty hunter in the galaxy on par with storm troopers. Sad ) Why was Chewbacca involved in the third film? Why does Anakin Skywalker have to be the main character (We already know the essentials of the character: great pilot, pupil of Obi-wan, turned to the dark side. So we already know his story.)? Why did Anikan's mother have to get sold to Owen and Beru Lars? Is it just so Obi-wan could then turn over young Luke to them? Couldn't it have been dealt with in some other way?

Does anyone see what I'm trying to get at with this? It's like six degrees of Kevin Bacon, but in the Star Wars universe. It just seems too small, too intertwined, and every little thing at the end of Revenge of the Tshi had to be tied up with a neat little ribbon. I know this is George's story and he gets to tell it the way he wants to, but it all just seems so small afterwards.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:09 am

Yes, I think I see what you're getting at.

In contrast Tolkien leaves many unresolved gaps and loose ends: White Council, Tom Bombadil, Borrow Wights, Ents and Entwives, the nature of wizards and on and on.

It makes Middle Earth feel more open around the edges, like a real world with all its mess, rather than like a neatly arranged terrarium.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:30 am

I agree, I felt the same way too, and it's how I'm feeling about the Hobbit now with Legolas reappearing Mad I do think Anakin should play an important part in the prequel trilogy, though. It's either that, or he doesn't play any part at all, and the prequel trilogy would have to be a completely different set of films.

Star Wars   - Page 17 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:39 am

Ringdrotten wrote: It's either that, or he doesn't play any part at all, and the prequel trilogy would have to be a completely different set of films.
Oh, that could have been wonderful with absolutely no characters or planets in common! It would have been free to tell a whole new story while expanding the world of the original series. It  sure would have antagonized the fan base though. Twisted Evil

Last edited by David H on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:40 am

Yeah, I think the limited scope and repeat characters are one of the biggest problems with the Star Wars prequels. And as Ringdrotten notes, it's a problem that's starting to affect The Hobbit too. Prequels are by their very nature unnecessary since we already know what will happen. IMO, the worst thing you can do from a storytelling perspective is strip out even the vestiges of originality or mystery. It makes the whole story feel even more like an adjunct to the original than it already did, and it destroys any sense of dramatic weight or stakes. Yet time and again, people take the derivative route, because doing the same thing over again is seen as a safe bet.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:24 am

I think you have half a point Bungo.

There were far too many things that George seemed to need to link to the originals. Like blueprints for the death star in episode 2 and some of the characters.

I do, however, think that with the story he was trying to tell, a lot of them were needed. You can't, for example, tell the story of Anakin without him in it. Palpatine, Yoda, Obi Wan were all part of that story and so I also think were right to be there.

I do think they could have been smarter with their choice of secondary characters though as well as locations. Not sure why Anakin needed to have grown up on Tatooine or Chewbacca being there (which causes continuity issues with Han and his view on the Jedi..... Chewwy took orders from the head of its council!!)

I think that they were just badly done overall. There was too much reliance on cliché movie formula that just made them like most other big budget films. They couldn't even think up some suitable twists to keep things intriguing (No.... I am your father [Palpatine to Yoda]).
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:18 pm

I think maybe if Anakin was a strong supporting character that we really liked (with maybe Obi-wan as the lead) then it would have been more emotional when he turned to the dark side (even though we knew it was coming; I feel that if he were not the center of the story, then his inevitable turn wouldn't be the complete focus and wouldn't be the first thing in my mind when watching. I'd be worrying about what Obi-wan is up to or what else is going on, and not "Oh, there's Anakin, he's gonna turn to the dark side in the next two and a half hours. At least that's how I feel about it.). Having him as the main character, and a complete dick to boot, didn't really help.

Ringdrotten, you are right about Legolas being in The Hobbit movies. As if Jackson hadn't already made Middle-earth small enough (Literally! Remember how close Minas Tirith was to Mordor? Although I will give him some leeway there as having the two areas at the proper distance might not work for a movie.). Just imagine how much smaller Middle-earth would feel if we had stupid Aragorn, Arwen, Gimli, whoever-you-can-shove-in-from-LOTR cameos.

Oh, but Jackson is expanding Middle-earth. We get characters who are supposed to be dead, degrading interpretations of existing characters we know little about, and Philipa Boyens' Mary-fupping-Sue. We also get more made up characters in Laketown, like Alfrid (Alfred? Alfredo?)! Oh, hooray! I'm sure he won't echo aspects of Grima Wormtounge at all! I'm sure it will be a totally original idea! Oh, am I getting angry! Extremely Crabbit

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:53 am

Star Wars   - Page 17 Darth+Vader+Beyzbol+Oyunu

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:54 am

The Sultan of Sith.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:35 am

Star Wars   - Page 17 Jedi-opens-doors-The-Force

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:03 am

I love how he's just standing there by the trashcan waiting for an opportunity. lol!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:05 am

That's cool Thumbs Up 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:15 am

lol! 

Star Wars   - Page 17 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:38 pm

For me the thing that ruined the prequels beyond all redemption was finding out that George Lucas basically considered the Force to be a microbial infection. Friggin' mitachlorians. Like you could go down by the loading docks and catch a case of the Force from sleeping with a random washed-up Jedi. What an idiot Lucas turned out to be. Mad 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:04 am

If anything makes you appreciate the value of John William's music, this trailer put together before his score was available is it. I always felt the music was invaluable, but Lord have mercy...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/9/4821172/see-the-original-star-wars-teaser-trailer-from-1976

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:42 am

Even more weird than no SW music i seeing the logo without the usual lettering style- looks so odd.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:33 am

I know it was 35 years ago... but I am not sure how excited that trailer would have made me. It was horrible.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Something to distract from the horrible trailer: vintage late-70s Star Wars bloopers. Very Happy Note that many of the clips don't have sound.

It cracks me up how you can tell that even back then Harrison Ford didn't really want to be there. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:14 am

This is easily the best thing to come about as a result of the prequels.  Okay, second best after the Plinkett reviews.

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:55 am

There is a disney casting call out for 2 main characters.... seems like they are trying to get the lead roles filled. Shockingly... the leads play a 16-17 year old, one male and one female, both who have parent issues.

Looks like same old formula then.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Eldorion wrote:This is easily the best thing to come about as a result of the prequels.  Okay, second best after the Plinkett reviews.

Star Wars   - Page 17 IBTsmu4yb5np9

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next