CC12 35
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
27 posters

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

Oscar Watch - Page 4 Empty Re: Oscar Watch

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:47 pm

malickfan wrote:I'm sorta watching it/surfing the web, but I think DOS will get nominated for more or less the same categories as last year, but Gravity is sure to win Visual Effects, as I.M.O Smaug was so good he overshadowed the rest of DOS's effects which were kinda shoddy in comparison.

All three LOTR movies won for Best Visual Effects, and Weta is still good even if their work on TH has been inconsistent (probably due to lack of time). So I'd expect all three Hobbit movies to be nominated in this category.

I was a bit surprised to see two sound-related nominations, but I don't really no anything about the technical aspects of sound design so I can't say if it was deserved or not. It would be pretty funny if DOS lost in all three categories to Gravity. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51 pm

All the main ones then.  Laughing 

I can't say I remember how it sounded very well as I was sighing though most of it...

And Figgs as I've said before I loved Yates take on Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows 1+2 though riddled with plot holes were great, if too short for my liking.

There are probably people on TORn genuinely insulted Jackson didn't get nominated.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:53 pm

It was entertaining to watch the meltdowns from hardcore Harry Potter fandom when DH2 came and went at the Oscars with no wins. There were a lot of people absolutely convinced that the Academy was holding out until the last film to shower the entire series with Oscars like they did with LOTR (ignoring the fact that the LOTR Trilogy won six Oscars before ROTK). Laughing But in the end, the entire HP series didn't win a single Academy Award despite most of the films being nominated in at least one category. I wouldn't be surprised if The Hobbit meets the same fate. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:58 pm

Half Blood Prince was nominated for best Cinematography at least.

I still feel Alfonso Cuaron could have made something really special with Deathly Hallows if he had came back.

But no, the books are riddled with plot holes (GOF is basically a 600 page plot hole), and the films are clunky-don't get me wrong I'm a potter fan, but it's not oscar worthy material, and the scripts weren't anything special.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:01 pm

I liked HBP more when I rewatched it a couple years later, but I still feel it was way too dark.  There were large portions of the movie where like 60% of the screen was black and I could barely tell what was supposed to be happening. Razz

Every time I watch POA, I become more convinced of its greatness.  I think Cuaron made the only Harry Potter film to transcend the rest of the series and deserve to be mentioned among the great films of its year and/or genre.  I don't know how long he could have or wanted to keep that up for, though.  As much as I love the books, I acknowledge that they're not exactly great literature, though I think most of the films are much lesser works than the books.  POA managed to be great not because it stuck the closest to the original, but because it was made by a very talented filmmaker doing his own thing (although the extent of his changes has been exaggerated by people who are salty that the Marauders thing wasn't explained).

I've never been particularly fond of Deathly Hallows the book, however. I actually did really like DH1, despite my general lukewarmness towards Yates' films. The best part was the Harry/Hermione dance scene. I was disappointed with how much shit that scene got from people who were mad that it wasn't in the book. I get the whole purist attitude but I try not to be too short-sighted about the potential for improvement.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Yeah agreed, POA is the only film which really felt both seperate to and in tune with the books-it was like seeing the book come to life only some of it was missing, I watched it a few months back, the main trio were surprising not that wooden in it.

Though the random black kid in it always confused me a bit;

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Bem

The main thing that annoys me with the films, is all the great deleted scenes not yet being released- I posted them a few weeks ago I think.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:12 pm

Honestly I thought he just temporarily took over Dean Thomas duties since there were a couple of other minor characters who switched actors, although a few minutes poking around on the HP Wiki shows that the main actor for Dean was also in POA.

Although ever since I watched the Rifftrax for POA, I've called this Bem character "young Notorious BIG". Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:17 pm

Notorious Big, Bem whatever he's awesome! Should get his own spin off (have you noticed he got all the creppy ominous lines?)

I also felt it was kinda weird they introduce characters out of knowhere-Bill Weasly, Lavender Brown etc.

Check these out if you haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mUJTmFuZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSO6dQClEYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVgCXoIKMKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDir4QFhjpI

I think I norced this thread...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:53 pm

why is the hobbit not nominated for best original song and best original music?
edit: or make up and hair. and costume?

Last edited by Norc on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:54 pm

lone ranger is gonna win special effects. or gravity, but i have a feeling it's lone ranger.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Hair and Make up yeah I was pretty surprised about, on a design level these films are great, as for the music I can't really remember anything though all my friends seem to think it was great.

If Lone Ranger wins anything I'll be rather annoyed, Gravity deserves everything it can get.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Only two noms for Inside Llewyn Davis?

Hmm. I'm surprised American Hustle is getting all these noms and wins, especially after hearing what Jay from RLM had to say about it.

http://redlettermedia.com/quick-cuts-american-hustle/

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 pm

And when did they only start giving out 9 noms for best picture? I thought they did 10.

scratch

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:43 pm

Miyazaki's The Wind Rises is up for best animated film. Hopefully it wins.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:56 pm

bungobaggins wrote:And when did they only start giving out 9 noms for best picture? I thought they did 10.

scratch

They changed it a couple of years ago from 10 to anywhere between 5 and 10, depending on how many films clear the minimum threshold for percentage of votes they get in the nomination round.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Eldorion wrote:It was entertaining to watch the meltdowns from hardcore Harry Potter fandom when DH2 came and went at the Oscars with no wins.  There were a lot of people absolutely convinced that the Academy was holding out until the last film to shower the entire series with Oscars like they did with LOTR (ignoring the fact that the LOTR Trilogy won six Oscars before ROTK). :lol:But in the end, the entire HP series didn't win a single Academy Award despite most of the films being nominated in at least one category.  I wouldn't be surprised if The Hobbit meets the same fate. Razz

There are some people who are convinced that's the case with the hobbit movies.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Eldorion wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:And when did they only start giving out 9 noms for best picture? I thought they did 10.

scratch

They changed it a couple of years ago from 10 to anywhere between 5 and 10, depending on how many films clear the minimum threshold for percentage of votes they get in the nomination round.

Thanks, Eldo. I don't follow these thing as closely as I probably should. It just results in me being confused.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Well, the lack of nominations this year as well must say something for the apathy and despondency the movie world views these movies with.

Thopugh the haul is still surpisingly small for two movies that were supposed to be "the biggest of all time."

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:42 pm

They are prequels, so as far as break through material it falls short compared to most of the films this year, and I think the Academy realizes that. As far as music nominations, I think they're hesitant to nominate Howard Shore because they aren't entirely sure how original the soundtrack is. This film most definitely is, but AUJ was definitely not.
Were any of the Star Wars prequels nominated for anything other that effects?

Oscar Watch - Page 4 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:56 pm

Their quality certainly doesn't merit the attention they are getting. And I think some of that are seeping through in award nominations, like this, and in the perception of the movies among critics.

Others are still smitten with the LotRs movies, and lap up the chance to get another trip back to that world.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:40 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
Eldorion wrote:It was entertaining to watch the meltdowns from hardcore Harry Potter fandom when DH2 came and went at the Oscars with no wins.  There were a lot of people absolutely convinced that the Academy was holding out until the last film to shower the entire series with Oscars like they did with LOTR (ignoring the fact that the LOTR Trilogy won six Oscars before ROTK). :lol:But in the end, the entire HP series didn't win a single Academy Award despite most of the films being nominated in at least one category.  I wouldn't be surprised if The Hobbit meets the same fate. Razz

There are some people who are convinced that's the case with the hobbit movies.

I am glad Yates didnt get any gongs, I hate what he did to HP. I am surprised some of the Actors didnt get any awards though, like maggie Smith, Alan Rickman or Jim Broadbent.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:43 pm

malickfan wrote:I'm sorta watching it/surfing the web, but I think DOS will get nominated for more or less the same categories as last year, but Gravity is sure to win Visual Effects, as I.M.O Smaug was so good he overshadowed the rest of DOS's effects which were kinda shoddy in comparison.

Smaug was nowhere near as good as the T-Rex in Jurassic Park 20 years ago.  Shrugging 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Gravity should win a lot of categories, it was blinking brilliant.  Nod I cant wait to see it in English so I can compare, although it will be on a lot smaller screen.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:11 pm

bungobaggins wrote:There are some people who are convinced that's the case with the hobbit movies.

I noticed a few posts saying as much while browsing the forums at TORn earlier. I'm afraid those people will be disappointed for the same reason HP fans were; the Academy has shown no fondness for The Hobbit series so far (though who knows, maybe DOS will pull off an upset in six weeks).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I am glad Yates didnt get any gongs, I hate what he did to HP. I am surprised some of the Actors didnt get any awards though, like maggie Smith, Alan Rickman or Jim Broadbent.

The adult characters were barely getting any screentime by the end of Yates' run. For all the amazing actors assembled for DH2, none of the adults had more than a cameo appearance. It was a huge waste IMO, especially considering the many memorable performances of adult actors in the early films (Coltrane, Rickman, Smith, Branagh, Thewlis, Gleeson, etc). At least Yates managed to do Umbridge and Slughorn justice (especially Slughorn; Broadbent was brilliant as him) in the first two films he directed.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next