CC12 35
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
27 posters

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Oscar Watch - Page 9 Empty Re: Oscar Watch

Post by David H Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:19 am

Eldorion wrote: but yeah, I'm not expecting to have the full home theatre set-up when I move out.  Hopefully I can take the older TV we used to use though, which is still way bigger than the Cathode Ray Tube we had when I was little. Razz

You sound like a Man with a Plan. Nod 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:21 am

Well my stepmom used to be a big over-spender so I figure I can try to reap the benefits of that even after the fact... Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:23 am

One of my goals is to have a fancy home theater at one point in my life. Nod

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:23 am

David H wrote:
halfwise wrote:
 I own neither of those and may not until the current stuff breaks.  Takes a while, few moving parts.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But some of my newer electronics seem to die within a year of their warrantee expiring.  Mad 

Of course if they lasted forever, the TV and DVD manufacturers would go out of business. You don't suppose there's a little self-destruct clock buried somewhere in that programming do you? Suspect
I firmly believe the latest electronic "anything" is designed to just about last the years guarantee then..kerput ! & they tell you its cheaper to buy a new "anything" rather than get it fixed  Mad Its a deliberate act in my book & a marketing ploy. Ive got an old analogue TV, its chunky, weighs a ton, but, it keeps going & Im sure it still will. These flat screens are to temperamental, sneeze to near them & the screen "goes".
Sorry to hear you have to go so far to watch a film Dave  Shocked

Oscar Watch - Page 9 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oscar Watch - Page 9 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:57 pm

I ended up with a huge cathode ray tube when somebody moved. Must weight 60 pounds. Can't get hi def but don't really see the need.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:20 pm

sorry to hear its so far away Dave. But I wouldnt bother watching Gravity on home dvd or any tv no matter how big is going to give the same experience. I think the whole point of Gravity is the movie theatre experience. You have to feel you are out there in space with them to get the full impact, so that means you need to feel they are life size. The opening sequence made me feel actually sick with vertigo. in a good way.  Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:59 pm

It's getting to be that time of year again. Will The Hobbit go the way of LOTR and be rewarded for the final film (ignoring the fact that FOTR and TTT took home a combined six Oscar wins), or will it go the way of HP and get nothing but nominations for the entire series? We won't know until February, but TORn seems to be hedging their bets that The Hobbit will not have a successful night, because they have scheduled their annual Oscar party for the day before the ceremony this year. Razz

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/12/01/95300-the-one-last-party-tickets-available-now/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Eldorion wrote:It's getting to be that time of year again.  Will The Hobbit go the way of LOTR and be rewarded for the final film (ignoring the fact that FOTR and TTT took home a combined six Oscar wins), or will it go the way of HP and get nothing but nominations for the entire series?  We won't know until February, but TORn seems to be hedging their bets that The Hobbit will not have a successful night, because they have scheduled their annual Oscar party for the day before the ceremony this year. Razz

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/12/01/95300-the-one-last-party-tickets-available-now/

Don't see it happening Eldo. Maybe best visual effects scene with a androgynous man and a moose creature in a trilogy for Thranduil and his moose steed or elk or what ever made up creature it is. But I don't see them getting too many Oscars myself.

My prediction is 3 tops no more but possibly less. Neither of the other 2 won anything did they? I know they were nominated for an Oscar but can't remember if they won. If memory serves they are batting zero. Beat out by Gravity if I remember correctly.

Have to wait and see but I'm predicting AT MOST 3 Oscars Oscars Oscars Hell LOTR won a total of 249 awards worldwide and the Hobbit has 31... BIG DIFFERENCE there. Course those numbers did come of wiki so who knows :brows:

slap laugh slap laugh slap laugh Oscars slap laugh slap laugh slap laugh Oscars slap laugh slap laugh slap laugh Oscars slap laugh slap laugh slap laugh

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:37 pm

I dont think they will get one Oscar, and only those behind the scenes should get one, like costume or set design or similar.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:47 pm

I can see a max of 6 or 7 nominations (Best Visual Effects. Best Costume Design, Sound Mixing etc), but no wins, the academy rarely votes for Blockbusters, and I think there is a general sense 'Jackson already told a similar story before, but the risks he took, and the achievements he made were much larger'. Its possible the Trilogy will win some of the 'fan' or memorial awards though in terms of its achievements in the SF areas, and it certainly seems to be popular with the casual fanbase.

At least the trilogy will probably score a hatrick of sorts with no nominations, at least it's been consistently dissapointing...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I dont think they will get one Oscar, and only those behind the scenes should get one, like costume or set design or similar.

I think the sound guys deserved an Oscar last year for what they had to put up with from PJ in those last 48 hours or so.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Yeah, I'm expecting the same result as the last two years: a handful of nominations and no wins.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:31 pm

ok I'll give them my due.

Oscars Award for carpet not matching the drapes. Thanders

Oscars Award for use of testicles outside pants. Goblin King

Oscars Award for micro-twitching in lieu of acting. Bilbo

Oscars Award for faux Shakespearian glowering. Thorin.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Oscars Award for most frowns in a movie: Martin Freeman

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:40 pm

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:42 pm

Elrond Elrond Elrond Elrond Elrond Elrond. why did you have to say what you did? No

there was once a film in 3 parts
full of bird plop and Bunny carts
it went on and on
absolutely no fun
and about as useful as lighting my farts
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:21 pm

Oscars ? you're all havin' a larf...

Mediocre review no.1 here:

http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-1201367492/

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:39 am

Average review, not "mediocre."
"All's well that ends well"
"The result is at once the trilogy’s most engrossing episode, its most expeditious (at a comparatively lean 144 minutes) and also its darkest "
' “Battle” sports the most austere and forbidding look of the “Hobbit” films (courtesy of series lenser Andrew Lesnie), entirely absent the overly bright, backlot feel that pervaded “An Unexpected Journey” and parts of “Smaug.” '

Not mediocre reviews at all. Unless you mean the review itself is a mediocre attempt at a review.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:41 am

As with most releases, the early reviews are mostly/leaning positive.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:42 am

Indeed, we should all expect the 79% on Rotten Tomatoes to dip down through opening week.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:49 am

well at 144 minutes he has enough to add almost an hour worth of stuff back into the film. Wonder what the EE will clock in at?

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:04 am

http://collider.com/the-hobbit-3-extended-cut-details/

About 30 extra minutes according to PJ.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:15 am

well ROTK did add 50 minutes. I would think he'll not be able to help himself since it is the "last" time... of course that is till the 25th year edition of the films when they will by some miracle find another 20 minutes to add to each film and they will all be in 48fps hfr and 3-D Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:25 am

If they do end up releasing "anniversary editions" I don't think they'll include any extra footage into the finished films. They'll most likely be unfinished/unscored/unsfx'd deleted scenes.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:27 am

bungobaggins wrote:If they do end up releasing "anniversary editions" I don't think they'll include any extra footage into the finished films. They'll most likely be unfinished/unscored/unsfx'd deleted scenes.

that's cool, Thumbs Up too I like that behind the scenes stuff pub

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next