Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
halfwise
Norc
Gandalf's Beard
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The New American versions of Sherlock: Perception and Elementary - Page 2 Empty Re: The New American versions of Sherlock: Perception and Elementary

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Norc wrote:Elementary is more like that sci fi sherlock where thy are robots.. or actually, i think that us truer to the story...

I saw you posted that before and since then I've wondered what you would think of the '80s anime version: Sherlock Hound. Wink

Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

The New American versions of Sherlock: Perception and Elementary - Page 2 Empty Re: The New American versions of Sherlock: Perception and Elementary

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 pm

halfwise wrote: Shocked

You've gotta fix that, Eldo.

Yeah, yeah, I've been meaning to borrow the books from my brother sometime but I don't read as much as I used to. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 pm

not available in my country.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Norc wrote:
Eldorion wrote:RDJ = Robert Downey, Jr. I think I'm the only one here who enjoyed his first Sherlock Holmes movie. As far as I know nobody here enjoyed the second. Laughing

I do appreciate having you and your opinions back. Very Happy

well, I enjoyed them Wink though I was a bit confused as everything happened really fast. But I understood the story the second time I saw it. I like the RDJ holmes as an action-detective-in-victorian-times piece, not a sherlock holmes story. Overall I agree with Eldo and Petty. Haven't seen the actual episode, but there is no doubt in my mind that the idea is very un-original(stolen) and not at all like Sherlock(BBC) and more of a tribute to Holmes, like house, rather than actual Sherlock Holmes. the overall feel is just wrong.

Elementary is more like that sci fi sherlock where thy are robots.. or actually, i think that us truer to the story...

If they were better films over-all, I would have no problem with RDJ as Holmes. Very Happy

But enough of this "stolen" rubbish. There is nothing original under the sun. Even Tolkien and CS Lewis "ripped off" earlier stories. Yes Elementary is targeted towards an American audience with lower expectations, and yes, the BBC Holmes is definitely superior; though, standing on its own right the first episode of Elementary was pretty damn good. I sort of have the feeling it's going to go downhill fast though.

If you do give one of these shows a shot, you should try Perception. That show will have some staying power and I suppose the Schizo angle is mildly "original." Wink

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5678122/1/The-Adventures-of-Bilbo-and-Tauriel

The New American versions of Sherlock: Perception and Elementary - Page 2 Main-qimg-25b60ec8346a6008664b1df35a2131cd

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:22 pm

meeh..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Oh come on. Give it a try.

Anyway, I do have some recommendations for current American Detective shows that are superior to standard network fare with a solid track record (most likely because they are largely on cable networks).

The Mentalist is probably the best Eccentric Genius Detective Consultant show on US TV. It is a funny, dark, and poignant Drama. It has well written stories and strong characterizations and the ensemble has excellent chemistry.

Law & Order: SVU is exceptional, even though it's been running forever. Hardcore Drama, Fantastic Acting. You'll need a box of tissues to get through most episodes though.

Castle: Famous Crime Writer consults with the NYPD. Sometimes the one-shot episodes are a bit Lite, but the story arc is Heavy. Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic are perfect together, and the rest of the ensemble meshes very well also. Very Funny on balance, but the Drama pulls us back down to Earth

Criminal Minds: FBI Profilers. This show is Hardcore with sharp writing. The ensemble is excellent. There is very little humour though. Like Law & Order SVU, it's the sort of programme that requires a strong heart.

There might be one or two that I've missed.

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5678122/1/The-Adventures-of-Bilbo-and-Tauriel

The New American versions of Sherlock: Perception and Elementary - Page 2 Main-qimg-25b60ec8346a6008664b1df35a2131cd

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Second episode of Elementary a lot better than the first. Stop expecting genius cinematography, think more CSI, and you'll enjoy it.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 pm

I've watched through about episode four of Elementary. It definitely gets better than the pilot but it's still kinda meh. I can't comment on the CSI comparison though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:29 am

anyone seen Perception yet?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:12 am

Not me.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Nor me!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Nor me.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:35 pm

me nor either

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:48 pm

me neither.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Nice avatar Carly, I just saw that picture earlier today. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:00 am

Wheres Yooper? Sad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Yavanna Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:30 pm

I searched for this thread so that I could put my two cents in about "Elementary".
Yes, I got completely hooked on "Sherlock", and was disgusted at the fact that American television had produced such a pale imitation of a modern-day Sherlock Holmes, that I watched it only for the Holmsian innuendo.

Now that the series has entered its 2nd season, I am happy to say that I've accepted this new Holmes and Watson, no matter how weak the writing, and look forward to it every week, believe it or not. It's a far cry from the BBC production, but I can tolerate it in the name of escapism.
Yavanna
Yavanna
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:32 pm

I cant get past her acting, or rather her one expression the Whole time. J Lee Miller is ok though.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:39 pm

i hated the idea, but i still started watching it.. but it went off air here and i have no idea where it went.. so i am mid season 1...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:33 pm

You should all feel thoroughly ashamed of yourselves Mad  and as a remedy should go away and not come back until you've watched all the Jeremy Brett episodes Nod 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Yavanna Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:53 pm

HAH ! PettyTyrant, I give you a dyed-in-the-wool Jeremy Brett fan who has watched his every ep countless times and raise you reading the entire Holmes Original Doyle serials in their (unabridged, unedited for America) Strand column format!!!!
Razz
Yavanna
Yavanna
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:57 pm

You get a prize barrel of buckie for that drunken (But you have to pay for it yourself, I seem to have mislaid my sporran....)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Yavanna wrote:I searched for this thread so that I could put my two cents in about "Elementary".
Yes, I got completely hooked on "Sherlock", and was disgusted at the fact that American television had produced such a pale imitation of a modern-day Sherlock Holmes, that I watched it only for the Holmsian innuendo.

Now that the series has entered its 2nd season, I am happy to say that I've accepted this new Holmes and Watson, no matter how weak the writing, and look forward to it every week, believe it or not. It's a far cry from the BBC production, but I can tolerate it in the name of escapism.
I went through a similar process with Elementary. :DI wasn't completely sold on it until the season one finale (get on that, Norc! Mad), which completely exceeded any expectations I had for the show and made me a convert.  I've only watched a couple season two episodes so far though since I don't usually watch TV series week-to-week and I got out of the habit during the summer break. I did really enjoy the episode filmed in London, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Yavanna Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:30 pm

@ PettyTyrant: Heh, here, I'll pay for it - you can get me back tomorrow. Smile
Believe you me, it was rough learning Victorian English. I spent days and days in the New York Public Library, pouring over dictionaries, maps of Victorian London, and books detailing the historical happenings of the time.
I'd planned to write a Holmsian Encyclopedia, and then found out that I had been beaten by a man who used the same codes for the stories as I had. Alas, three months of careful research, dashed by a man who did the work in 1974. I still wonder if I couldn't get in touch with the publisher and offer to "brush up" the editing and add more detail to the original author's work.
*Guzzles the end of a pint and lifts the glass*
You ready for another? Nod

@ Eldorion: Are we talking Irene Adler? Yes, the season finale was sparkling, showing Jonny Lee Miller's capacity to shock and amaze with his acting. He's not just another "Monk", nor is he another Tim Roth "Lie To Me". He's much more complex, capable of great feats of emotion that they had previously withheld from the audience. As for Lucy Lu, I await her return to a little more dramatic acting. That constant frown (someone else said this further back in the thread?) is quite...boring. I can overlook the lack of writing because I expect great things from this series, once they get back on tract with rewriting some of Doyle's greatest works.
*Hey Eldarion, you partake? (Motions to the pint glass). Or would you prefer some Mead? drunken 
Yavanna
Yavanna
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:35 pm

You ready for another?- Yavanna

I never stop. drunken 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next