Mrs Figg
Foolofatook
Pettytyrant101
25 posters

Page 6 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Go down

RIP - Page 6 Empty Re: RIP

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:59 pm

British Charactor Actor Roger Lloyd Pack 'Trigger' passed away on Wednesday after battle pancreatic cancer, aged 69.

He's most famous for roles in Comedy Series 'Only Fools and Horses' and 'The Vicar of Dibley' and a small part in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25762006

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0516181/

Sad Sad Crying or Very sad pale 

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:39 pm

I cant believe it !! I havnt listened to the news for ages & Im gutted ! I really liked him !! I saw him in many other things & he was a very good actor ! That news is very very sad !  Sad 

RIP - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

RIP - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:58 am

Was great in Vicar of Dibley.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:26 pm

RIP Pete Seeger. A good man who made a difference.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:31 pm

Im sorry, I dont know him David, so I did what any other ning-nong would do & Googled. Lived to a good age tho ?

RIP - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:02 pm

He had played with Woody Guthry when he was young, and he picked up the torch of folk music as a weapon of social activism when Woody died.

If you heard guitars and banjos coming into folk music in the 50's and 60's, you were probably listening to somebody who was influenced by Pete.

If you looked in the forefront of the Civil Rights movement and the Antiwar movement in the 60's, you'd find Pete helping define the message.

Or the Environmental Movement. He knew he couldn't change the world, so he picked one river and fixed it.

Or the Antinuclear movement.  I think just about any antinuke protester in the world can trace their pedigree back to Pete.  

And he did some of the best albums of kids' songs ever made.

If there was a way to make the world a better place, it seemed you didn't have to dig very far to find Pete.

I don't have a fast enough connection to find his songs. Would somebody please post a few? Pete needs to go out with Music.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:51 pm

The man was a legend. He was one of the artists that made me fall in love with folk music Smile

This one I'm sure everyone has heard. I could of course post a version with only him singing, but I love how this vid shows him as one who loved to perform and was respected by other musicians. Besides it's a beautiful version with the choir and all Smile

Fare thee well, Pete!

RIP - Page 6 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks Ringo. Those look like excellent choices.  Thumbs Up 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:54 pm

Of course I know those songs, silly me ! not familiar with the name. He seemed a sweet guy, very gentle soul that came across thru the music   Nod That last song was touching !

RIP - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:58 pm

azriel wrote:Im sorry, I dont know him David, so I did what any other ning-nong would do & Googled. Lived to a good age tho ?

Az, the thing about Pete was that you didn't need to know the name to know him.  There are millions of people who have sung his songs as their own, songs like "We shall overcome", who may not know anything about him. Maybe that's best. It's the message that matters.

Edit: I crossposted with you, but I couldn't have said it better if I'd read your last post first.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Your right Dave, It IS the message, & even if names ARE forgotten,or not known ?  the message will live on. Id rather that than a shed full of money !

RIP - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:14 am

Sad 

I don't know how well he's known outside America, but we've lost a major spirit.

Introduced by John Mellancamp:

In his Prime:

I saw Pete Seeger once in concert when I was maybe 5 years old, but I remember every song he sang, and damn near every word of those songs.  Nobody could hold an audience like him.  Kind of like Hemingway: you could never figure out just what he was doing, but it never left you.

Last edited by halfwise on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:36 am

That sounds like a wonderful memory to have, Halfwise, you're lucky to have seen him perform. He's well known everywhere, I think, though he might not be what you call a household name. He was probably made more famous outside the US with Springsteen's "The Seeger Sessions", but anyone who's into folk or country music knows (or should know) his name.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:47 am

The Seeger sessions were glorious. It definitely increased my respect for Springsteen. Sort of like when Queen Latifah did American Songbook: true artists pay homage to their roots.

Unfortunately Sting's foray into the Renaissance lutenest/composer John Dowland verged on painful, but I respected him for the attempt.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:00 am

Glorious is the word :)I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that particular attempt of Sting's, nor with John Dowland.

I thought this song might be fitting today for a few reasons: A great artist passed away, we're talking about Springsteen and my ever-favourite artist Warren Zevon would've been 67 last week. After he died Springsteen sang this song that Warren wrote, and he made a beautiful version of it too:

The quality is not as good in this vid, but it has footage from the concert:

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:26 am

I remember hearing a story about Pete Seeger when he was set to appear on the Johnny Cash Show. His leftist tendencies had left not to few people complaining and saying Johnny Cash shouldn't have him on as he was unpatriotic. As a response to that Johnny Cash not only had him on his show, having threatened the television executives that he would close it down if they wouldn't let him, but preceded to introduce him as the biggest patriot he knew.

His musical performance from that show is here. And I also think it gloriously shows off Pete Seeger winning a slightly suspicious audience over with just his charisma and musicaity.

Oh, and let's not forget his work as a writer of chart topping singles for other artist.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Another one has gone,, sadly, Maximilian Schell has passed away. Im old enough to remember he was handsome & could be quite suave, but also had a look in his eye that meant business  Nod  Crying or Very sad

RIP - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:48 pm

RIP - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:24 pm

Watching a documentary about Pete Seeger (American Master's series) and one of the best things was seeing what he did with the last years of his life. He largely couldn't be convinced to do concerts anymore because his voice was gone, but he'd still go to schools to teach songs to kids and lead them through it. He said he enjoyed that more than any concert.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Arthur Rankin Jr. (of Rankin/Bass) producer of countless Christmas television specials and the 1977 Hobbit and 1980 Return of the King has passed away. RIP Sad

http://variety.com/2014/tv/people-news/rudolph-animator-arthur-rankin-jr-dead-at-89-1201080680/

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Rankin/Bass definitely left their mark on animation.
I guess it's time for me to let go, and forgive them for what they did to RotK.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Nooooooo...  No Sad Crying or Very sad 

https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/breaking--philip-seymour-hoffman-found-dead-at-46-184225678.html

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:06 pm

RIP to Mr Hoffman. That's tragic and way too early. He has young kids too, I think.

David H wrote:Rankin/Bass definitely left their mark on animation.
I guess it's time for me to let go, and forgive them for what they did to RotK.

I was thinking the same thing the other day when I read this news. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:08 pm

Shame about Mr Hoffman, sadly if you like to shove heroin into your body that tends to be the outcome, rich or poor, famous or a nobody.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:11 pm

I'm certainly not going to judge anyone for an addiction, especially if I didn't know them personally.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum