Saradoc
leelee
Old Forum
25 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Filming Possibilities - Page 3 Empty Re: Filming Possibilities

Post by RA Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm just afraid of how Tom might be portrayed. There has to be a delicate touch in representing him; He's a really interesting guy, but it wouldn't be difficult to screw it up. So yeah following the book very closely leading up to him is a good start, but I think it's also important for the adapter to not put his own interpretation of Tom in there: No Tom Bombadil is God theory, or trying to use him as comic relief (poor Radagast).

If they ever do reboot Lotr, It'll probably be six films. Depending on how well the Hobbit does. Going by how successful the trilogy was, any studio would want to replicate that six times. Though like you said, that may not be a bad thing; the story wouldn't need to be compressed.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:27 pm

Why not nine films? Follow the precedent set by The Hobbit and make each volume three feature length films (plus Extended Editions!). Nod

Petty - your idea sounds interesting and I will read and respond to in more depth when I have more time. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:36 pm

I think you could break the first film somewhere around rivendell... Frodo waking up all happy at being alive etc then realising he still has the ring.

Film 2 could start with Council of Elrond... epilogue of forging, last alliance Elrond looking on at Isildur as he claims the ring, melt to elrond of the film and the council. Interesting intro (obviously taking it out of where it is in PJs version). Finish with the breaking of the fellowship as that is quite a natural place.

Not sure how I would deal with the TTs, maybe Frodo up to the black gate and aragorn/gandalf up to Paths of the dead inc Helms deep.... how that would be 2 films I dont know.

RotK, film 1- liberation of Lebennin, siege of Minas Tirith, Cirith Ungol and Shelob up to breaking out of the tower. Film 2 would be crossing mordor, march of aragorn to black gate, destruction of ring, crowning, scouring and then grey havens.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Eldorion wrote:Why not nine films? Follow the precedent set by The Hobbit and make each volume three feature length films (plus Extended Editions!). Nod
Best just make it an even dozen. Nod

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:34 am

The actor Jim Broadbent could do Tom justice, he was marvelous as Horace Slughorn in HP. He has the bright slightly bonkers blue eyes and is whimsical and endearing while having a dangerous edge.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:48 am

Isn't Broadbent a little old for the part? I imagine Tom as looking to be in his 40 somethings.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:13 am

Its funny I never really thought about how old Tom was, as he seems to me ageless, and ancient. I imagine him looking older than 60 though.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:24 am

hmm...have to comb through those chapters for clues, but it's very possible Tolkien never gave a clear description of his apparent age. I always thought of him with brown hair rather than gray hair for some reason, and smooth skin rather than wrinkled. And at the age I was first reading LoTR, 40 seemed old.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:58 pm

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:46 pm

I imagined Tom Bombadil to be eternally youthfull in looks,tho he is very old in age. I also think J.Broadbent has the right personality to carry him off. The personality has to carry it off more than looks IMO. you could always use wigs/make-up to convey an image. but lay off the CGI !
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:07 pm

any thoughts on who could play Goldberry?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Anne Hathaway ?

Filming Possibilities - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Filming Possibilities - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Needs a combination of breeziness and depth. Anne Hathaway has the breeziness, and perhaps could show the depth. But Goldberry is a blonde, right? How about Julie Delpy - is she still acting?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:14 am

Reese Witherspoon?

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:54 pm

wots all this Reece Witherspoon stuff ? Shrugging
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:16 am

I think Ally has a crush. Nod (Must have gone off Molly Ringwald)

And for Goldberry- got to be Kathrine Jenkins- got the looks and the voice.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Filming Possibilities - Page 3 Empty Hey not on subject but... I'm a newbee and kinda bumbling at this sort of thing in general.

Post by Music of the Ainur Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:54 am

I think of all the remaining stories of JRR that the most easily doable one is the Children of Hurin tale. I think that there is plenty of material to use to film a respectable length movie from it alone. It isn't a happy story of course but it could make a great movie if someone would stick to the story and just fill it out with scenery or long pauses in the dialog. As long as some idiot director doesn't come along and give it a happy ending... I predict that it will be the next Tolkien movie. But maybe it is just too depressing for the market to dig. As far as the Silmarillion goes. I think that could be done as well but it would very challenging to make one cohesive film flow. More likely it would have to be split up into many short films like episodes, Kind of like the Twilight zone movie was I believe it was. They don't really have to flow in a perfect sequence of time... however perhaps only the big Tolkien fans would dig it. But there are a lot of those now a days I would think... That is One good result of the LOTR PJackhole movies...I imagine they motivated a large number of people to pick up the Tolkien books and that may mean there are more fans than ever. Which makes someone choosing another book to do a movie with more probable. I don't know if that is true but I feel it may be. I bet if Christopher Tolkien sells any movie writes He will be really trying to retain a degree of control after what has happened to LOTR and THobb ...which sounds good but may end up making any movie less likely... Peace to all and a Happy New Year.
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Music of the Ainur wrote: I bet if Christopher Tolkien sells any movie writes He will be really trying to retain a degree of control after what has happened to LOTR and THobb ...which sounds good but may end up making any movie less likely... Peace to all and a Happy New Year.
I don't think Chris is ever going to give up any more rights. He's currently suing Warner Brothers to "regain" some rights that are owed to him.
Personally I'd rather Chris have control of the IP than Hollywood. Look at what Warner is doing to Merp.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:28 am

Its difficult. As much as I would like to see more Tolkien books adapted, I no longer have faith that PJ can deliver. I hope someone else, more sensitive to the source makes any new films.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:03 am

Without a crush & therefore got a TON of free brain space. Someone send me their data on a cure for AIDS and I'll be get started.

Also...Molly Who?

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:03 am

I no longer have faith that PJ can deliver.- Mrs Figg

Shocked ....... cheers

Ally surely you can manufacture a temporary crush out of the array of z-list celebrities that make up the modern media- isnt that what they are there for?

Molly grew to love breakfast you know.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Music of the Ainur Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:22 am

I don't think Chris is ever going to give up any more rights. He's currently suing Warner Brothers to "regain" some rights that are owed to him.
RecAnon.

I am with you there... It is just too sad to consider Chris and how he must feel about the hack jobs done on his dads work. Must break his heart.
Well I hope he does retain control. Hollywood has no respect. They just want to sell video games and product. But I really would like to see someone do Tolkien Justice in film. Maybe in my life I will, but I begin to doubt it.

Men have conceived not only of elves, but they have imagined gods and worshiped them... even those most deformed by their authors' own evil. But they have made false gods out of other materials; their notions, their banners, their monies; even their sciences and their social and economic theories have demanded human sacrifice.  — J.R.R. Tolkien from The Tolkien Reader

Filming Possibilities - Page 3 9368d911
Music of the Ainur
Music of the Ainur
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:39 pm

I have to say although I dont have faith in PJ for the Hobbit, from what I have seen so far, which may change if DOS turns out better than AUJ (which is doubtful) I still maintain that LOTR was genius. I know I sound like a broken record, and I know it has flaws, but I feel it strongly that we shouldnt lump them together. LOTR was just brilliant beautiful and in will stay forever in my heart.
I watched Fellowship last night, and its gorgeous even in a foreign language.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm curious to see if my perspective on the LOTR movies will change on rewatching them after having seen The Hobbit (I haven't watched LOTR for about 18 months). I suspect that I might appreciate them even more after seeing how AUJ turned out. I had wanted to watch Fellowship last night but I ended up being too tired. Sleep
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Watch my edits this time Eldo- you are killing me here not knowing what youd make of them! Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next