Orwell
Mrs Figg
10 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Haddon Hall - Page 7 Empty Re: Haddon Hall

Post by Turembar Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 pm

Haddon Hall (midsummer)

Extending a hand Halfwise helped Turembar up, and without another word walked out into the upper courtyard. Turembar followed, but hestitantly and Halfwise had to hurry him up once or twice.
The party basically coverd the upper half of the courtyard. At the top and in the middle a band of musicians in Elizabethan costume were playing. To the right and left of them stood tables laden with food and drink. On either side of the courtyard near the walls were ranged wooden tables and chairs for the guests to sit and eat. In the middle swirled the dancers in their various costumes. It was a good sized crowd, that Tom would have guessed of about 200 – 300 people.
At first they crossed the empty half of the courtyard, with Halfwise leading with firm steps, dressed as Cousin it in tophat and glasses. Turembar brought up the rear, in the moonlite having changed to his wolfman form. He was embarrassed because, with his frilly curtain dress he might be taken for a wolfwoman or perhaps cross-dressing wolf. Had it not been for his facial hair his face would have shown red as a beet.
“Let’s head for the food tables...” Said Halfwise over his shoulder, “…and try to locate Mr. Manners.”
Halfwise then angled to the left to pass thru the gap between tables and dancers. As they reached and began to pass thru the guests, Turembar saw many were staring at them and some stared, and others smiled and a few openly chuckled.
“I hate you!” thought Turembar to Halfwise’s back. Normally upon entering a party, Tom would assume some persona, and he had planned to assume a silent, secret and slightly menacing attitude. But the frilly curtain ruined everything. It would be ludicrious. The other option, of adopting careless swagger was equally out as it could be too easily misconstrued, and attract unwanted attention. So he simply trudged miserably behind Halfwise, trying to ignor the stares and looking mainly at the ground. Occasionally he would steal a fast glance up, to keep his bearings on Halfwise and not walk into anything.
As he took one fast glance up, a swirl of color caught his eye, and he looked at one of the dancers. She was tall with long and free red hair and was alternately making motions to right and left with the music, and then spinning completely around. She wore a long and full muted green skirt that twirled as she spun, and a linen colored blouse with long sleeves and embroidery at the cuffs. The centerpiece of her costume was an ornate and gold colored Breastplate, which was crafted in rough woman’s shape and covered with molded and inlaid images. Upon her feet were light brown calfskin boots and a quiver of arrows slung across her back completed her costume.
Tom froze where he was enchanted by the picture the dancer made and startled to discover he thought he recognized her.
The woman noticed Turembar staring at her, and stopping her dance walked over with a pleasant smile and said. “May I help you Master Wolf?” with a trace of amusement on her face.
“Figgy?” asked Tom tentatively.
“No, I am afraid not.” answered the woman kindly. And as she did her dancing partner had come up alongside her.
“What do you think Odo?” the woman then asked her partner. “Will our wolf friend and his hirsuit companion win the costume contest?
Odo, dressed in the elaborate robes and miter of a church Bishop rubbed his chin and said in a musing tone, “Perhaps…perhaps…but they will have stiff completion this year. And then he suddenly straightened and gave a little bow saying, “Oh, I am so sorry, I am forgetting myself. I am Odo, Archbishop of Ham on Rye. And this is Boudicca” he added nodding towards the woman. She is Queen of the festivities you know.”
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Thats odd because I have had dreams like that, i know I am dreaming and I am kind of hyper seeing things, its as if everything is hyper real, I see everything in great detail and its a beautiful place, but I know I only have seconds to take it all in before it fades, and then it does, it all goes black and i am desperately trying to get it back but it fades, I have flown sometimes, over a lovely landscape and they are my favourite dreams, I get sound too I can hear music, and colour and once or twice touch, but funnily never taste.

You know I have never really thought about it in terms of what senses I experienced. And at first i can only account for sight, touch and sound. I am not sure about color, and smell, taste or music. I don't believe I have the hyper-real visuals, but instead remember them as having a less then real fogginess, or patina like an old faded film. But I know that fading to black and the trying to will it to continue, and failing. I have guessed that as the concisnous thought emerges it somehow kills the dream. But yes for a little while the two coexsist and you can rise and pivot to swoop and careen past tree tops and even thru them. It is such a rush.

I like the new Elizabethan pics. Smile That is the period I have the least grasp on. I like your newest plot development and it is helping me to begin establishing a frame work for the central 'problem'. In this twisting and multi-personality environment much is still completely unknown to me. It is tempting to hang out on the perimeter , and not attempt to untangle the large knot in the center, but ultimately that creates even more threads that must be tied together. I had not actually thought past meeting Boudicca much, but now have the next section worked out. I think that will come tommorrow though.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:53 pm

yes tomorrow for me too, its now 1.00 in the morning here and I need to get my 12hours of sleep. Embarassed
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Haddon Hall - Midsummer

Glancing over to the right Boudicca then said, "But I think your friend has gone ahead."
Tom looked about and then spotted Halfwise already by the refreshment tables speaking with someone. "Yes, I better go." Tom said, though reluctantly. Tom then did a little curtsie with his frilly curtain-dress, but his face had a wolfish grin. And with a nod to 'Bishop' Odo he scrambled off to catch up with Halfwise.
Boudicca watched Tom depart a moment, and then turning to Odo said with a chuckle, "That is the strangest pair I have seen at the festivities in a very long time."
And Odo replied with exaggerated drollness, "Yes, they will let anyone in these days."
"Odd things are sometimes the presage of unusual events." Boudicca added, her face becoming more serious. "And we have felt more rumbles today then all other times combined."
"Shall we put a watch on them, Queen Boudicca?" Odo asked in all seriousness.
"No... not on them..." began Boudicca, "for I sense no malice. But we should keep an eye out for other things that may show. Something is afoot, my heart begins to tell me."
Tom caught up with Halfwise, who was now alone by the refreshment table. "What's up?" Tom asked Halfwise.
"Well while you were dilly-dallying around, I have located Mr. Manners" Halfwise said officiously.
"I thought I saw Figgy." Tom protested. "But anyway, where is Mr. Manners?"
"Right over there..." Halfwise said, pointing to the table at the end, on the right side of the courtyard.
Tom looked and saw a table full of people and with several standing about it. At the heads of the table were especially large chairs or perhaps thrones. And although the one closest was empty, the one opposite contained a man dressed in courtly clothes , with reddish medium hair and mustache. He was smiling and laughing.
"Halfwise." Tom then said urgently. "I can't let them see me transform. So I will go into the house now and meet you in the lobby. You must ask Mr Manners to speak with us privately there."
"But what if he refuses?" asked Halfwise.
"Mention one of the things you have seen sold secretly. He will come." Tom said reassuringly.
"Yes, OK. That should work." replied Halfwise.
"Allright, I will see you in a few moments." Tom said optimistically.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Haddon Hall (midsummer)

Tom looked around for the most secluded spot to go from moonlite to shadow. The best place to transform out of sight, seemed a bushy area in the left corner of the courtyard. Tom grabbed a handfull of carrot sticks and munching one, tried to meander casually to the corner, periodically stopping to watch the music and dancing... yes, just another wolfman, in a dress, enjoying the party. Each time he stopped he inevitably tried to find the lady that looked liked Figgy in the crowd. Figgy was the sole local person he had met here and even though this lady wasn't Figgy, it still felt like some connection. When in foreign lands, Tom had always felt unusually strong need to meet and establish some familiarity, with people. It helped reduce the feelings of being alone and among strangers.

When he reached the corner he looked about until no one seemed to be watching or looking in his direction, and stepped backwards into the shadow. He felt the dull wave of a feeling like a shock, but all current and no voltage, and returned to normal. Taking the curtain from around his waist he stuffed it into one of the bushes. The random thought of bushes being primative man's dresser drawers popped in his mind. Tom would have preferred to return the curtains, but knew that returning a stolen object is worse then taking it if you are caught. Taking a moment to straighten his slightly disheveled closes, he then proceeded to the doors from the courtyard into the castle tourist lobby. He stopped by the doors to see if he could spot Halfwise and Mr Manners, but found Mr Manners chair now empty at his table and no sign of either of them. "They are probably already inside he thought" and opening the heavy wooden door, went in.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:17 pm

The Portrait.
Haddon Hall - Page 7 Levens_Morris_edited[img]

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Haddon Hall - Page 7 Tumblr_l7t98yDBER1qcbsqio1_500]
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:41 pm

The Portrait.

Behind the screen I checked my jeans pockets for anything 21st century, I didnt want to have to explain anything like pound coins, there was only the silver torque which I put on my wrist, strangely it always felt warm to the touch, as if it had been too long in the sun, maybe an Italian sun? I walked back to the chair and continued the sitting for the portrait, this was obviously going to be a betrothal gift. I couldnt sit still, I never can for long, and I was hungry. There was something about the air in this time that made me hungry like a wolf and thirsty. The air seemed heavy and it made me dizzy like there was too much oxygen, then I realized that it was probably the lack of smog and pollutants, the air really was laden with purity that my city lungs couldnt cope with. My sense of smell was also heightened to almost an unbearably keen level. Every smell hit me and made my nasal passages twitch, and boy where there some smells in this Age.
For a start the plumbing was non existant, when the wind changed a heavy cloying odour came from a cesspit in the grounds, the smells the stables made was overpowering, horsey and warm hay mixed up in an incredible bouquet mixed with the kitchens it was all adding to the chaos. No wonder people went round with nosegays, which were oranges pin cushioned with cloves.
I decided to go in search of food, no one would stop me and the kitchens were bound to be laden with food for the banquet later. I also decided not to ask where the Lady Litton was under the circumstances they would all have thought I really had lost it and probably try to lock me up again. Thankfully there was no sign of Harry, I didnt fancy meeting him alone in a dark corridor so I stealthily snook outside into the garden.
The garden was warm and full of buzzing insects enjoying the flowers, there were huge red roses climbing over a gazebo and I decided to sit for a while and decide what to do. While I had been sitting for the portrait the constant gaze of the painter had put me off, it was as if I couldnt think straight while he looked at me, as if he knew what I was thinking. I had had a quick peek at it as I left the room, but it was only a rough sketch at the beginning of the process, I had no idea what it would look like when it was finished. I just hope he's got my good side I thought laughing to myself.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:02 pm

My stomach rumbled but I was too worried and full of anxious thoughts to notice, and then my stomach gave an almighty growl to say 'feed me now', so I set off for the kitchens, if I could find them. Haddon Hall had some fine topiary bushes and a labrinth, it also had formal rose gardens with fountains and arbours. It was a riot of colour and heady perfume, I couldnt help stopping from time to time to admire the flowers or sniff a red rose heavy with petals. It was while I was bending to take another sniff that my eye caught a glint through the dark box hedges. It shifted and swayed, it was a radiant white scarf or trailing something, I couldnt decide what it was, but my curiosity took over.

Haddon Hall - Page 7 Daphneandapollo_donato]
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Where in the world is Lady Litton? Laughing

Very nice descriptions and illustrations.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:24 pm

The white flowing thing seemed to float in the air as if it was under water, I sped up to catch it, but it was too quick and soon we left the garden behind and entered the forest beyond the grounds. I half decided to let it go and return to the House, my hunger was really getting annoying. We passed some apple trees so I grabbed one and munched on it while I followed the apparition. That felt better, and I wiped the juice away from my chin satisfied for the time being. I followed as quietly as I could and apart from the rustle of my gown I was as silent as a hobbit, or nearly.
The white person, and now I could see it was definately a human being dressed in a long flowing white garment, stopped suddenly behind a tree. What now? I thought, what will they do?, I was a bit afraid, not knowing exactly the person would do. Then I heard the voice of a woman and I relaxed, I could handle a woman, no worries.
"Have you been followed?", She said in a frightened voice.
"Are you talking to me?", I said back.
"Of course, you wish to speak with me do you not, and I wish to have words with you" said the little voice.
"er I suppose so, why have you brought me here, are you in any trouble?" I said.
"Aye I have great troubles", she said sadly, "I am to wed a man who wishes only for my dowry and land, but I shall escape this night, will you help me?"
She turned and walked from behind the tree.
"BuggerBogner!!" I whispered, I was looking at myself.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:34 pm

Very Happy thanks, btw you had better watch that Bishop Odo he is a respectabilian and nudity even with a frilly curtain makes him tut tut and get all steamed up. Laughing

I think I just met Lady Litton and it was quite a shock I can tell you. affraid
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Mrs Figg wrote: Very Happy thanks, btw you had better watch that Bishop Odo he is a respectabilian and nudity even with a frilly curtain makes him tut tut and get all steamed up. Laughing

I think I just met Lady Litton and it was quite a shock I can tell you. affraid

Lol, I'll keep that in mind. Laughing Surprised your still going! I will go and read above. But you best be heading off to bed soon sleepy head.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:51 pm

Laughing its the insomnia, I get all head buzzy and I cant sleep although I am knackered. Sometimes I do my best thinking late at night, but you are right, its waaaay past my bedtime. Sleep Sleep
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:30 pm

The Portrait.

Correction, it wasnt actually me, but someone who would have looked exactly like me if they had been born in the 20th century. She was tiny, her bones were small and bird like, I knew I was far more solid and robust, healthier than she. Her chest was small and would be called pigeon chested with small round shoulders, I felt like an Amazon in comparison. In the 21st century I was of average height and average slimness, but here I was large, a sturdy great hephalump, it wasnt a nice feeling. I noticed her face was thinner than mine with an unhealthy white pallor, I imagined she was using the poisonous lead white face powder fashionable at the time, it slowly killed many women. I would make a point of telling her not to use it. She had the same red hair, and the grey eyes that regarded me where mine. Of course I would help her. In some way I knew she was family, maybe an ancestor, but she wasnt me I knew that much.
She explained that she wished me to take her place at the festivities that night, allowing her time to escape with her beaux. While I as Lady Litton was a decoy she would pack some belongings and meet her rescuer outside by the garden gate, never to return. Well that was the plan, we hoped nothing went wrong.
I left her in the garden by some flowering cherry trees, I wondered if messing with history was allowed, what if something in the space/time continuum went screwy, I think I had watched too much Star Trek.
I turned and waved in farewell, I would probably never see her again, but she had already gone.
I walked back to the House and a tantalizing aroma of roast meat hit my nose, I realized I wanted to sink my teeth into a nice steak and chips, then I realized the potato was probably not discovered yet. Strange to think of England with no spuds, what the heck did people eat before the lovely potato. maybe turnips?
I was roused from my food fantasies by a shout from beyond a hedge. I rushed to see what the commotion was, and saw two gardeners bent over a hole in the green turf.
They had dug a large trench to plant a rose bush and had discovered a heavy metal box. My mind went back to the three Romans hiding their loot. I wondered what was in the mystery box.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Inside the silver box were many jumbled objects but among them were silver coins, on one side was a soldier and on the other side a wolf.

Haddon Hall - Page 7 NEWS20Lupa20on20Denarius]
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Wonderful section. So much like I imagined it! I am still wrestling with many concepts, but one had fairly firmed in my mind, concerning reincarnation and it would look and be as you described. I imagined it occurred every few hundred years, maybe irregularly, but each time the result is a more or less self contained individual. The memories and personality of each essentially do not pass on to the next. You end up being more like identical twins. But there is something unusual in the conconcious or unconcious mind between reincarnations as some say there is in twins, but even more so.

The movement thru time is still really ill-defined though is definately related at least in part to the 'loci' as you put it. The masquerade held in conjunction with certain times of years (solticises) I have started thinking of as a regular periodic opening in time. Unplanned or irregular time shifts occur (these are the rumbles I referred to in the story). These might occur in more then one way, for instance very strong emotions/situations might create some bridging (and the same might be said for reincarnations). These are basically, benign to time itself, like little tears that close up again. I begin to suspect another way has been found, to accomplish some crime, but that perhaps unplanned or expected damage to time itself is being done. I enjoy trying to come up with explanations for such things if you haven't noticed. Embarassed Laughing Love the coin. Smile

Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:18 pm

Haddon Hall - Midsummer

Tom opened the door and went into the Castle Tourist Lobby. A little way ahead of him a short man in a dark blue suit stood with his back to Tom, at the information desk. Behind the desk was a woman dressed like a Crony out of MacBeth. She looked very nervous. The hair on the back of Tom's neck started to stand up, but too late. Something struck him on the back of the head and in a explosion of pain, all went white and then dark.

The next thing Tom knew was his butt seemed to be on fire. In terror and frustration he found however it was like he was frozen and could not move a muscle. But it was only a brief nightmare and he awoke to find himself being dragged by the shirt-collar down a corridor. He was dizzy and his head throbbed and his bottom was hot from the friction of being dragged along the floor. Not giving away he was awake,he surveyed the situation. He was being dragged by two men, who spoke occasionally in some eastern european language. Farther down the corridor, stood other men, but they were shrinking in the distance. "Janoc" Tom thought, remembering what Halfwise had said. Janoc, was a small time boss in eastern european organized crime. He dabbled in many things, like most bosses did, but his specialty was looting and/or selling stolen artifacts. But even though a small boss, nevertheless he and his goons were ruthless and had no compunction about eliminating a obstacle. Tom knew about the gang from reputation and had crossed their path once before. He had been very lucky to escape that time with his life.

Continued survival now occupied all his thoughts and he tried to focus his fear and terror into action. He thought to twist and fight against two was futile so decided to use the motion of his captors against them. As fast as possible he brought his knees up and his feet towards his butt. As strong as possible he launched himself up and backwards into the two men dragging him. Tom's legs were unusually thick and strong for his size, just an accident of birth, or perhaps a throwback to an earlier ape-like creature. The trick worked completely, caughting the two goons off-guard and off balance. All three of them went down in a pile of kicking arms and legs, but Tom expecting it was first to roll clear and up. Without a glance back he took off down the hall at a run.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Before, you put into words perfectly the confused ideas I had about time slips and the 'triggers' of either emotion or more subtle and mysterious forces of nature like solstices and perhaps even lay lines. I am not really wanting to go into alternative New Age stuff for fear of going too far down the silly route, but I am interested in the possibility of such phenomena existing. With the coins I was trying to tie in the soldier Tom and the wolf side of his personality. Love the idea of little time tears. The threads of our story could stitch them up? Very Happy

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Yes, I think I understand and I probably (almost certainly) try to explain too much. For me it is just ideas picked at random from anything at all to fit a evolving story. The next part even gets wilder, but is one of the ones I enjoyed most molding. It has gone into more spooky imagery for a while, which I said I would try to limit... so I ask some forgiveness in advance. But I think it will not go past spooky in anything graphic.

I have thought about how to deal with the two stories but run into problems coming up with a way for them to actually merge. Each is being affected by the other and ideas and even details borrowed back and forth, but I suspect they will remain two different stories unless we changed how we are doing it pretty drastically. I'm divided on how to do it really. I am still not sure where it is ultimately going other then I hope for a happy ending. Laughing But in the inventing I find myself making many changes and reverses to elaborate and introduce twists and turns to the plot. I imagine that would be impossible to coordinate unless we built some sort of outline and then did alternating sections. As it is, it is very challenging, but fun too in it's "wonder whats going to happen". I sometimes visualize the situation like skydivers jumping out of different planes but trying to ultimately land on the same target on the ground. Wide apart at first but moving closer together in roughly circular manuvers.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Haddon Hall - The Queen under the Hill

(OK..dum subtitle, and I will fix it later, but I was getting tired of 'Midsummer')

Tom ran at first just wildly. He kept to the main thoroughfare of the Castle, afraid to take unknown side doors or stairs going upwards to the second floor, lest they lead to cul-de-sacs. But he had sometimes to open doors in a panic, each time just hoping it wouldn't be locked. He knew the castle was overall laid out in two connected rectangles and if he kept to this path would return to where he started. But the other men, including the short man in blue suit he suspected was Janoc, were probably waiting there. He could here and sometimes catch a glimpse of the two men following and they were gaining. He was making his way through an unfamiliar environment, but all they had to do was follow him. Getting an idea, stopped past the next door and closing it, dragged a heavy chair over to prop it shut. A window was what he really needed he realized. A window to the outside and free space to run. But castles don't often have windows on the ground floor and those there are, are usually narrow arrow slits.

Running on, he saw a stairway going down that he recognized. It was the stairs he had taken down on his reconnaisance earlier that morning. That was most certainly a cul-de-sac, and so he passed it. His memory now stirred as he realized he was in a part he had been before, just going the other way. Ahead was a great long hall, and it contained large windows he was sure. He would not take time to see if it opened, but simply toss some small piece of furniture thru it. Rounding a corner he saw the hall coming up, but at the same time saw there were men at the opposite end of it. "Trapped!" he thought his heart sinking, but without a delay spun round and headed back. He was coming up again to the small stairway down, when he heard a loud crash and clatter ahead. The original persuers had broken thru his blocked door. Without any other option he went down the stairs. His hope for escape was all but gone, but still he would delay it as long as possible. Perhaps someone would interfer, and he suddenly remembered Halfwise. But there was nothing he could do for Halfwise if he was caught himself. Perhaps the police might even be called, but he doubted it would ever happen in time. He would head for the excavation, where just maybe Halfwise and Mr. Manners had gone. But if nothing else, there might be narrow spot to defend and some tools like a pickaxe to defend it with.

The light ended at the bottom of the stairs as before, and he could not find a light switch for the dark tunnels below. With arms swinging ahead he went as fast as he dared into the darkness, but it was no more then a fast walk. He got some ways down the tunnel before he heard footsteps and voices behind him, and suddenly the world went bright as the lights went on. Glancing back, he saw two men and then red two flashes. The sound of the gun shots hit him like a physical wave and reverbated over and over in the confined space. He flinched, but unhit, began to run, now swerving and dodging. They fired several times more, but all missed and he saw the tunnel turned to the right and the crypt and excavation was just ahead. He made the turn unhurt and leaped for the rude wooden door to the excavation. He hauled it open, almost pulling it off the hinges. Going inside he saw the excavated room was empty as before except for a circular hole in the center with a ladder going down. Going to the rim he saw that below the edge of a large stone cairn had been broken into and a narrow opening made in the top thru which the ladder passed within. With shaking hands he grabbed the ladder, and swung onto it to make the descent. It was not going to be a lucky ladder day though and on the second rung down it seemed to collaspe and the world went blinding bright light again as a booming explosion hit his ears like a block of wood. "I've been shot" was his last thought as he fell down and into unconciousness.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:08 pm

[url=Haddon Hall - Page 7 Yerka25][IMG]
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Haddon Hall - The Queen under the Hill

(Retcon-2 No flash or boom, just the ladder collaspes)

Down he fell into the opening in the Cairn, but tilted he hit the rim with his left shoulder and spinning landed on his back on a packed dirt floor. The impact knocked the wind out of him, and for a moment in panic he struggled for air, and he thought he might pass out. Finally a little then more air entered his lungs and gasping he retained his conciousness. He wished he hadn't though, and stunned, he just lay there on his back looking up the hole, and waiting for the end. He felt the game was over, and his mind crossed the threshold into resignation. There was sadness and regrets did in fact fly accross his mind, but it was calmer too, and his hands no longer shook. He waited for the men to appear above him at the rim of the hole. He heard what might have been the rough door opening and then footfalls in the earth. He was about to close his eyes, not really wanting to see the last scene, but the light above suddenly went out first. He heard the men speak above and then one let out a annoyed shout. They spoke in some eastern european language so Tom could not understand what they said, but he imagined the shout was something like "Hey, who turned out the lights!".

The man above shouted again, but this time Tom thought he heard the edge of panic creeping in. "Serves you right you Goon!" thought Tom. "Why should I have all the fun". The beginnings of hope now again stirred in Tom's heart, for someone else was there. It was painful letting hope back in at this point however, and it probably just was Janoc and the other Goons coming, so he fought it back rather then go thru the emotional washing machine again.

Above the two men spoke to each other again, and this time there was no mistaking they were nervous. The second man now shouted something into the darkness and it was both angry and frightened. One now said something in a alarmed whisper and there was a long pause of several seconds. Aiiiyeeee! one shouted in sudden fright and the hole above was filled in a flash of light immediately followed by the boom of a gun. The second man cried out now too and more flashes and booms lit up Tom's view and echoed in the small space. But he could see nothing for the men were not in sight. A roar now reached him from above that rivaled the noise of the guns and it rattled Tom much more then the guns did, for it was wild and inhuman. Other animal-like cries followed and then the screams of men. The gun fire ceased but the sounds of a terrible struggle continued a few seconds longer, and Tom shut his eyes and tried to hold his hands to his ears, for the sounds were more terrible then anything he had ever heard. As quickly as it began, it ended, and Tom remained unmoving breathing heavily and with pounding heart, his limbs going numb from hyperventilation. His mind in a sense departed, for it could not comprehend this and it was beyond his ability to master. He lay there gently rocking blocking out all thought.

Seconds, then minutes like hours, passed and nothing happened. But wait something was different now, and he smelled a wiff of smoke. Opening his eyes , it was still pitch black above but the space he was in was dimly lit with dancing orange patterns of light and shadow. Uncovering his ears he twisted around and was amazed to see a wide rough hewn passageway stretched into the distance. The walls and curved ceiling were all rough stone work and the floor a smooth packed earth. On both sides at intervals were torches blazing, mounted in holders on the walls, like he had seen outside in the courtyard, when he thought time had slipped. Sitting up and looking about he saw the wreckage of the ladder and could still see the hole above. He stood now, and with halting steps started to go down the passage way. He noticed now for the first time too that there were dark rectangular spaces, like holes cut into the walls at intervals too. Many of them. He was coming up to the first one now, and stopped startled realizing it was occupied. A skeleton arrayed in helmet and crumbling armor was laid on a shelf. Tom could see ancient weapons too at its side. A dread began to gnaw at the edges of his ownly thinly reestablished sanity, as he saw he was in something like a catacomb. [center]
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Now thats an interesting picture! Seems almost made for the story. The cover perhaps? Laughing But I am looking in the water now for subliminal images. Wink
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:34 pm

The Portrait.

I took one of the coins and put it down the front of my bodice, it was warm to the touch, it was like having a little sunbeam radiating heat, the torque on my wrist seemed to radiate an answering heat, and vibrated as if animated by fluttering winged insects inside it. It was an odd but pleasant sensation. I passed the kitchen and walked into the cool interior, I asked for water but was given the thin Ale everyone drunk, nobody drank water especially in the city, it was generally contaminated by cesspits and animals. Only spring water was safe to drink. I drank the ale finding it sour and leaving my tongue furry, but it did the job so I thanked the serving girl. She didnt say a word, just stared and stared with quiet concentration. Indeed apart from Harry and Lady litton no one had spoken a word to me, it was as if they couldnt, or didnt properly see me, their eyes rolled off me as if I wasnt really fully 'there'. But this girl was different, she saw me and seemed to find the sight disturbing, but being one of the servants she was not able to question me, it would have been unthinkable.
I wondered what Lady Litton was doing, was she pacing and waiting, waiting to be free.
The night came and the music and activity became louder, servants ran hither and thither carrying great plates and jars and dishes, huge roasted pigs and venison, dishes of fragrant sweet meats, even a roast peacock passed by. orders were given and lights were lit. Fresh rushes were strewn on the floor and perfumed bowls of fresh flowers were placed around the Great Hall. The banquet was ready and the guests were arriving.
There was a confusion of carriages, horses, livery and servants, all rushing, all eager for the feasting.
All this time I kept to myself in the library, Harry came in and told me to dress, I followed a servant to 'my' bower to change, it all happened so quickly I hadnt time to think, I just had to play my part, keep quiet, and hope for the best, hey at least I would eat well tonight.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum