Norc
Mrs Figg
Eldorion
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
20 posters

Page 29 of 29 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 27, 28, 29

Go down

Questions for the Lore Masters. - Page 29 Empty Re: Questions for the Lore Masters.

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:42 am

{{ Thankyou Elthir, interesting stuff there, and I am glad to see at least that if Tolkien felt a First Fall was necessary that it not too closely follow the Genesis account at least, that I simply wouldnt have adam 'n' eved. Very Happy (I wonder how good Lore Master Cockney is?)}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Questions for the Lore Masters. - Page 29 Empty Re: Questions for the Lore Masters.

Post by halfwise Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:51 pm

So in one of the videos Petty posted the assertion is made that the 7 and 9 were originally 16 undifferentiated rings. It's just that Sauron split them up the way he did. Does this ring true?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:00 pm

halfwise wrote: ( . . . ) Does this ring true?

I see what you did there. Nice.

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:30 pm

halfwise wrote:So in one of the videos Petty posted the assertion is made that the 7 and 9 were originally 16 undifferentiated rings.  It's just that Sauron split them up the way he did.  Does this ring true?

The Rings being assigned to Elves and Men was Sauron's decision (unless you believe the Longbeards that Durin III got his ring straight from Celebrimbor; I don't). I've always assumed this means they were originally undifferentiated, but I don't think this was ever explicitly stated anywhere. Given the different powers/effects ascribed to the Nine and the Seven, I don't think one would be wrong to assume that they were designed to be different, even if it's not my interpretation. It's worth noting that OTROP states that Sauron "perverted" the Rings he captured, so any differences in their nature might be ascribable to that process, and/or to their interactions with the differing metaphysical natures of Men and Dwarves (i.e., "the Dwarves indeed proved hard and tough to tame").
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:34 pm

Good to see you, Eldy! :hug:

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:45 pm

I think you did a good job of covering all the bases there, Eldy. Nod

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:59 pm

Thanks, guys. I love you
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:28 pm

{{ Great to see you back Eldy! cheers }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:50 am

Didn't Celebrimmor learn the craft from Sauron? So could the initial design have been different with the end goal in mind and the maker thinking it was his own idea?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldy Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:18 pm

Lancebloke wrote:Didn't Celebrimmor learn the craft from Sauron? So could the initial design have been different with the end goal in mind and the maker thinking it was his own idea?

I think that's a reasonable interpretation. It's not my take, since I don't believe Sauron had a premeditated plan to turn on the Elves and seize all the Rings for himself, but my view of Sauron and Celebrimbor is based on a raft of headcanons with a relatively tenuous textual basis, and I don't expect anyone else to share it. Pokey Tongue
Eldy
Eldy
Loremistress Emerita

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:02 pm

{{ This doesn't really belong here but I couldn't find an appropriate thread where it would, as it not really a question, so much as an observation.
On one of my random flicks through Letters I came upon one in which Tolkien tells his son Christopher that he has heard of the posthumous upcoming publication of early previously unseen stories from Wind in the Willows, and how keen he is to get hold of a copy.

I'd never realised Tolkien was a Willows fan, so I'd never really given thought to their similarities. Both hark to a disappearing rural England, the Willows world has similarities to Tolkien's Shire. And one could go a bit further in comparing the basics of Moley and Bilbo - both live in a hole in the ground, both are well-to-do and don't want for anything, both are set in their ways and habits, and both have an unrealised potential and desire for adventure and to see  more of the world.

Just an observation that had not occurred to me before. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:31 pm

Wow, you are right.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:39 pm

{{ Another similarity which occurred to me is that both Bilbo and Moley are middle aged grown-ups when the story starts, and whilst they both live in a hole both holes are notable for their homely appearance and comforts, and whilst off on their adventures when it gets dark or scary they both think of their cosy hole-homes and wish they were back there. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:47 pm

Tolkien himself definitively answers the question "why didn't the eagles just fly the ring to Mordor?" Laughing

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:43 pm

Nod

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 29 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 27, 28, 29